Maria-Italian
Italy
Local time: 23:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2015

Dear members,
nice to meet you all.
Here is my first topic/question on Proz.
I might get a chance to work for an Irish company as a freelance translator from home. The HR Coordinator clarified this type of position will be covered on a "self-empoyed contract" basis, not as an employee.
Since I am based in Italy shall I register for VAT and pay my taxes in Italy, as I would do with any other company in the country? Will I therefore have to produce invoices upon payments a
... See more
Dear members,
nice to meet you all.
I might get a chance to work for an Irish company as a freelance translator from home. The HR Coordinator clarified this type of position will be covered on a "self-empoyed contract" basis, not as an employee.
Since I am based in Italy shall I register for VAT and pay my taxes in Italy, as I would do with any other company in the country? Will I therefore have to produce invoices upon payments and send them to the Company?
Do you have any information or suggestions from personal experience?

Thank you.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You are correct Aug 18, 2015

Maria-Italian wrote:

Dear members,
nice to meet you all.
Since I am based in Italy shall I register for VAT and pay my taxes in Italy, as I would do with any other company in the country? Will I therefore have to produce invoices upon payments and send them to the Company?
Do you have any information or suggestions from personal experience?

Thank you.

Since you are resident in Italy for tax purposes, your assumption is correct: your Tax Authority is the Italian State, and your invoices to the Irish company should therefore be set out in Italian, in accordance with Italian tax regulations.

This is normal practice for all freelance translators.

It would be important that you do not ONLY or EXCLUSIVELY work for that one Irish company, as the Italian tax authorities might interpret this as a disguised form of "employment".

So by all means work for the Irish company, but also work for plenty of other companies too!

[Edited at 2015-08-18 19:04 GMT]

Maria-Italian
Maria-Italian
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 18, 2015

Thank you!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Your country of residence Aug 19, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Since you are resident in Italy for tax purposes, your assumption is correct: your Tax Authority is the Italian State, and your invoices to the Irish company should therefore be set out in Italian, in accordance with Italian tax regulations.

This is normal practice for all freelance translators.

It would be important that you do not ONLY or EXCLUSIVELY work for that one Irish company, as the Italian tax authorities might interpret this as a disguised form of "employment".

So by all means work for the Irish company, but also work for plenty of other companies too!

[Edited at 2015-08-18 19:04 GMT]

As Tom stated, your Tax Authority is located in the country of your residency.

If there are no Italian speaking/understanding employees with the Irish agency, then you can send them your invoice in English (else it would be useless to them), and forward an identical copy of it/them in Italian to your tax office.

In addition to a possible interpretation by the tax office that you might be a "disguised employee" with the Irish agency, it's always wise to work for more than one agency and/or end client.

Much success!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Una precisazione Aug 19, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

can send them your invoice in English (else it would be useless to them), and forward an identical copy of it/them in Italian to your tax office.
[/quote]

La fattura originale fa fede e deve per legge essere redatta in lingua italiana, eventualmente con allegata una traduzione in inglese per l'agenzia irlandese. Non occorre mandare una copia della fattura all'Agenzia delle Entrate - è sufficiente archiviarla con il resto della tua contabilità.

In bocca al lupo !

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
D'accordo :) Aug 20, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

can send them your invoice in English (else it would be useless to them), and forward an identical copy of it/them in Italian to your tax office.

La fattura originale fa fede e deve per legge essere redatta in lingua italiana, eventualmente con allegata una traduzione in inglese per l'agenzia irlandese. Non occorre mandare una copia della fattura all'Agenzia delle Entrate - è sufficiente archiviarla con il resto della tua contabilità.

In bocca al lupo ! [/quote]

Me va bene il lupo.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Self Employed Contract

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »