Thread poster: Christina B.
ana raquel (X)
ana raquel (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not really Mar 7, 2016

Actually there was an energy problem in my house just a few days ago and my pc has had problems since then. At the moment I can't even work with it.
Fortunately I am not depending on that one to work for clients but you raised a good question. I have to think about it.

Viviane Marx
Viviane Marx  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks! Mar 7, 2016

Thanks a lot! I havê windows 10 running on an Ácer
I'll try one of those you've mentioned!

Viviane Marx wrote:
Hi Tom:

which software or programm do you have to get things cloned? I would like to do the same, but I'm somehow dummy in such things. So it has to be an easy one.
Thanks

If you're on Mac I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. The excellent website explains everything: https://bombich.com

If you're on PC it's more problematic and like all PC-based things, much more nerdy and not user-friendly like Mac; but seemingly not impossible. I don't know much about PCs but here are a few links:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3505126

http://alternativeto.net/software/carbon-copy-cloner/?platform=windows

http://lifehacker.com/5839753/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-windows

"Regular cloning is one of the Buddha's Threefold Paths to Wisdom"

[Edited at 2016-03-04 15:24 GMT] [/quote]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Plan Mar 7, 2016

I wear a leather collar with the relevant phone numbers and project data, just like my dog.

Well, now seriously:

- All my invoices, whether paid, pending or draft, are in my accounting software, so they wont get lost.

- I do daily back ups on two external drives, in case my computer crashes. I keep a back up smaller but functional computer for that occasion. I cannot use cloud-based services as the NDAs signed with my customers (most of them) specifically
... See more
I wear a leather collar with the relevant phone numbers and project data, just like my dog.

Well, now seriously:

- All my invoices, whether paid, pending or draft, are in my accounting software, so they wont get lost.

- I do daily back ups on two external drives, in case my computer crashes. I keep a back up smaller but functional computer for that occasion. I cannot use cloud-based services as the NDAs signed with my customers (most of them) specifically prevent me from using those services. In some cases, I am even required to permanently delete the files after I've been paid.

- If I'm hospitalized, I will ask my wife, or a close friend, to take care of the necessary communications (in case I cannot use my computer myself). That would work in the event of my death too (provided it's not sudden).

Other than that, "vida normal".
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
How to be the most reliable translator ever Mar 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I clone my entire hard drive to an external drive, every day.

I clone myself every day. Killing the previous clone of course (in very humane way, believe me) and disposing of the body in the nearby Teltow Kanal (pls don't tell anybody). Of course properly weighted down with stones, so that it doesn't disturb all those spazierengehende innocent German families on Sunday afternoons. The fresh clone is kept under my bed, except when she's washing the dishes and doing other crap work here... actually I use her also for all kinds of intellectual discussions, you wouldn't believe how smart she is.... too bad I can't send her to do any dirty work outside, what if the emergency came when she's out.
So this makes me the most reliable translator ever. And if anything happens to the clone (after it happened to me), she knows how to clone herself, I keep a block diagram on my wall (in case the computer broke down).
I advice everybody to do just the same, better to be safe than sorry (and you'll never have to wash dishes anymore!).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hmmm... Mar 8, 2016

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:
I clone myself every day. Killing the previous clone of course (in very humane way, believe me) and disposing of the body in the nearby Teltow Kanal (pls don't tell anybody).

And if anything happens to the clone (after it happened to me), she knows how to clone herself

Have you considered the possibility that one of these generations of clone might, at some time in the past, have actually done away with the original you?

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Thanks for the warning! Mar 9, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Have you considered the possibility that one of these generations of clone might, at some time in the past, have actually done away with the original you?

In the past??!! But I'm quite happy being myself, cloned or not, who cares... and I keep working, which is all that counts, no?
As to the possible future dangers, I'll better get some science fiction from the library...making sure the clone doesn't get her smart cloned hands on it, of course. Maybe it'd be safer to keep her under my bed and do the dishes myself.... life's a bitch... ://

But what wouldn't I do to deliver to My Clients in case of The Great Emergency!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
clones, doubles, polygamy... :-) Mar 9, 2016

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

In the past??!! But I'm quite happy being myself, cloned or not, who cares... and I keep working, which is all that counts, no?
As to the possible future dangers, I'll better get some science fiction from the library...making sure the clone doesn't get her smart cloned hands on it, of course. Maybe it'd be safer to keep her under my bed and do the dishes myself.... life's a bitch... ://

But what wouldn't I do to deliver to My Clients in case of The Great Emergency!

never mind clones, doubles will do:
This delightfully hilarious digression reminds of of a delightfully hilarious novel by Daniel Pennac (originally in French but I found an English translation, linked below), perfect holiday reading, about a dictator who decides that cutting ribbons to open hospitals and the like is too much like hard work. So he gets his double to do his work for him. Then his double gets bored and ....

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2006/sep/02/featuresreviews.guardianreview20

never mind doubles, almost anyone will do:
My Middle-Eastern life-partner and I have a running joke that if I don't toe the line he'll go and find a decent wife from his home country. It always ends with me retorting "just make sure she's a stickler for keeping the place squeaky clean". Much preferable to hiding a clone under your bed!!!

Kaja Bartkowska
Kaja Bartkowska  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Yes Mar 9, 2016

I also do back-ups and in case my internet/computer crashes, I can use an e-mail client on my phone to contact my customers. I also have some savings to be able to buy a new computer in case the old one dies on me.

BJ PARK
BJ PARK  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 18:53
English to Korean
+ ...
Actually, not yet Mar 10, 2016

I think it would be better to prepare backups such as a removable hard disk or OneDrive of MS, etc.

Cloud based backups would not be safe, though.

In the case I cannot complete translation jobs I'm in charge of, I will discuss with the relevant PM.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have an emergency plan?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »