What is a .ts file?
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:43
French to English
Jan 12, 2010

Agency wants me to translate a .ts file - it looks like an xml structure and the majority of the document is already translated.

The parts that need to be translated are marked like this:

Votre compte :
TRAD EN:Votre compte :

Is this file format specific to trados or tag editor, or something else? I can handle this ok with Notepad++ as there are les
... See more
Agency wants me to translate a .ts file - it looks like an xml structure and the majority of the document is already translated.

Votre compte :

Is this file format specific to trados or tag editor, or something else? I can handle this ok with Notepad++ as there are less than 500 words, but I'm a little concerned about missing parts that need to be translated as I will have to go through the whole thing manually. I don't think it's worth the bother to tag/translate in Wordfast...

[Edited at 2010-01-12 18:13 GMT]
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
What is a .ts file?" Jan 12, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Votre compte :

Is this file format specific to trados or tag editor, or something else? I can handle this ok with Notepad++ as there are less than 500 words, but I'm a little concerned about missing parts that need to be translated as I will have to go through the whole thing manually. I don't think it's worth the bother to tag/translate in Wordfast...

.ts file mean translation source file and it is an xml-file that may be translated with any xml-editor. However, I do not know if usual CATS can handle such files. So far I know, they are usually translated with the Qt linguist tools

[Editado a las 2010-01-12 18:33 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
English to Spanish
ts = Qt Linguist Translation Source Jan 12, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

ts files are bilingual files that may already be partially translated. You can use Swordfish to translate these files.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
What is a .ts file? Jan 12, 2010

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Lori Cirefice wrote:

ts files are bilingual files that may already be partially translated. You can use Swordfish to translate these files.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Good to know that the Swordfish Translation Editor can handle such kind of files. Thanks for the information, Rodolfo!

[Editado a las 2010-01-12 19:00 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast Jan 12, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:
I don't think it's worth the bother to tag/translate in Wordfast...

I always translate TS files in Wordfast. Tagging a TS file is usually very simple. Even an untranslated TS file can easily be "prepared" using Find/Replace in MS Word, using wildcards (regular expressions), because the TS file structure is so simple.

Some TS files can also be translated in Virtaal, but if you want to use Virtaal, it's best to do a dummy translation first, and then compare the original against the "translation" in a diff program such as WinMerge, so see if anything breaks.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 12, 2010

Thanks everyone!

sasa.
sasa.
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:43
English to Russian
+ ...
TS Sep 26, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

We always translate the .TS files and export /import them to Excel for review with free TM-database utility

[اس پر ایڈٹ کیا گیا2010-09-26 02:33 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Okapi Rainbow has a TS filter too Sep 26, 2010

You can use it to generate a XLIFF file or a tagged RTF file from it, and do the reverse conversion after translation, too. See: http://okapi.opentag.com/

Regards,

Piotr

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use the native application Apr 12, 2017

The best way to translate TS files is by using QT Linguist tool: https://code.google.com/archive/p/qtlinguistdownload/

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Studio Apr 13, 2017

Péter Tófalvi wrote:

The best way to translate TS files is by using QT Linguist tool: https://code.google.com/archive/p/qtlinguistdownload/

See also: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2017/04/

[Edited at 2017-04-13 16:15 GMT]

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The best way Apr 15, 2017

...actually is to
- convert the ts file to XLIFF (using Okapi Rainbow), then
- translate it with Trados or memoQ.
I have managed to do these steps, but cannot figure out how to convert back the resulting XLIFF file to .TS. Okapi Rainbow doesn't seem to have this function.
---------------

Update:
Sorry, all I wrote is unnecessary, because Qt Linguist (freeware) can save .ts files as .xlf (xliff) that can be translated on memoQ or Trados. Then you expor
... See more
...actually is to
- convert the ts file to XLIFF (using Okapi Rainbow), then
- translate it with Trados or memoQ.
I have managed to do these steps, but cannot figure out how to convert back the resulting XLIFF file to .TS. Okapi Rainbow doesn't seem to have this function.
---------------

Update:
Sorry, all I wrote is unnecessary, because Qt Linguist (freeware) can save .ts files as .xlf (xliff) that can be translated on memoQ or Trados. Then you export the translated file, open it in Qt Linguist, and can finally save it as .ts file, which you send back to your client.

BY THE WAY:Swordfish and TM-database are not freeware! There is a 30-day trial period, then you have to pay to use these applications.

In addition to .xlf, another option is Save as .po, then handle it with PO editor, and back again to Qt Linguist as described above.

[Edited at 2017-04-15 09:49 GMT]
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
English to Spanish
Swordfish + XLIFF Apr 15, 2017

Swordfish converts the .ts file to XLIFF for translation and also converts the translated XLIFF back to .ts format in target language.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Swordfish Apr 15, 2017

Péter Tófalvi wrote:
BY THE WAY:Swordfish and TM-database are not freeware!

No-one here said Swordfish is freeware.
http://www.maxprograms.com/store/buy.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a .ts file?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »