Local time: 06:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Exactly Nov 3, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I think Studio's current AutoSuggest is ever so slightly better than DVX3's AutoWrite, but the DVX system also works very well. I'm also still getting used to it, so it might be slightly better than I currently think it is.

Maybe I have missed something so far with Studio 2015, but even with its new AutoSuggest functionality: doesn´t it need at least a concordance match on a certain level in the current segment, before AutoSuggest is able to suggest anything (apart from TB entries or AutoSuggest dictionaries, which have to be inconveniently prepared each time)? How much more comfortable is DVX3s AutoWrite here by acting on the fly and independent on concordance matches or term bases, isn´t it?

As far as I know, the new Autosuggest 2.0 utilizes also chunks from TM, not only Concordance searches.

... it takes stuff from the machine translation plugins, and in a very clever way, I must add.

Michael

That's where MemoQ is lagging behind I also utilize MT and the thought of post-editing segments (as offered by MemoQ) makes me a bit sick.
Still looking forward to the new Deja Vu, though

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you don't (at least not simultaneously) Nov 3, 2016

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding! You can't actually trigger autosuggest/write by voice. What I meant was: if you have Dragon switched on when using memoQ, while simultaneously having Predictive Typing switched on, memoQ will slow down to a crawl. It's a bug.

Auto suggest in studio, however, works just fine with Dragon switched on. However, studio doesn't offer ‘full text control’ (i.e., the ability to select and correct words by voice).

In DVX3, by contrast: everything works: you get 100% ‘full text control’, and can still use AutoSuggest.

But if you can't trigger autosuggest by voice, how DO you use it with Dragon?

Thanks,

Olly

With Dragon: you dictate stuff, and give voice commands
With your keyboard: you trigger AutoSuggest / AutoComplete / Predictive Typing (and type stuff, of course)

After a while, and with a little bit of practice, the whole thing becomes natural and fluid: so you might dictate a piece of text, then use your keyboard for a bit, perhaps to trigger auto suggest, perhaps to type a word or phrase, and then switch back to Dragon, etc. To me it's second nature, and I'm hardly even aware anymore of which I'm using at any given point – it just flows together into an intuitive whole. This is where the productivity gains lie.

[Edited at 2016-11-03 13:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-03 13:38 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Cleared Nov 3, 2016

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember back when I was using DNS 10, I would revert more and more to using the keyboard until I stopped using Dragon altogether. Still mulling over whether to take the plunge (again)...

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
DVX works on a slightly different principle to memoQ... Nov 3, 2016

Hmm, will have to give this some thought. The filtering and source approach, e.g., sort of assumes I will in each case be aware that there are exact duplicates elsewhere in the (possibly huge) project. The memoQ/Studio/CafeTran way, the translator doesn't have to think, or go looking for things, or manually scan filtered segments: the latest version they enter just gets on auto-propagated. Have Atril taken this route for a good, conscious reason? I can't see how adding the other way, optional of course, would be anything but very good idea.
Michael

... Studio, etc. in that it has a special "Exact propagated segments" status for exact duplicates (normally coloured light blue). I find the best plan is to only confirm the first instance of a duplicate segment. That way, any subsequent edits will be auto-propagated (but not confirmed (ticked). Use alt-down systematically rather than ctrl-down to go to the next untranslated segment. That way, you "jump over" any auto-propagated duplicates segments. Changes to pre-translated exact match duplicates can be auto-propagated using shift+alt+F9 (force propagation). Sometimes exact matches come already confirmed from memoQ or Studio. In that case you can easily unconfirm them by selecting exact matches with the segment selector (in the middle at the top of the grid), highlighting them and pressing ctrl+shift+T (to remove the tick).

Dave

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
You can actually insert AutoSuggestions with Dragon Nov 3, 2016

Although a lot of the time this isn't relevant, because by the time the suggestion comes up you've already said the translation. To insert an AutoSuggestion with your keyboard, you just click Enter. With Dragon, you can set up a custom command for this. If you get a list of options, you can just say "go down" (or "go up") to move between them. All this probably doesn't save much time, if any, but it's less work for your hands.

[Edited at 2016-11-03 15:17 GMT]

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If you check... Nov 3, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

"Duplicate segments", by the way, is another filter. However, in my experience you do actually need to get the thing to find the duplicates (Project - Find Duplicates) in order for it to recognise all of them.

... "Count duplicate segments" in the wordcount (ctrl+w), duplicates will be recognised (and flagged) in the grid across the whole project after doing a wordcount at the start of the project.

I find that it's so much easier to work on duplicates or similar segments across a multi-file project in DVX than memoQ or Studio. So many more easily accessible filtering possibilities.

Dave

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot for the detailed info Dave! Nov 3, 2016

David Turner wrote:

Hmm, will have to give this some thought. The filtering and source approach, e.g., sort of assumes I will in each case be aware that there are exact duplicates elsewhere in the (possibly huge) project. The memoQ/Studio/CafeTran way, the translator doesn't have to think, or go looking for things, or manually scan filtered segments: the latest version they enter just gets on auto-propagated. Have Atril taken this route for a good, conscious reason? I can't see how adding the other way, optional of course, would be anything but very good idea.
Michael

... Studio, etc. in that it has a special "Exact propagated segments" status for exact duplicates (normally coloured light blue). I find the best plan is to only confirm the first instance of a duplicate segment. That way, any subsequent edits will be auto-propagated (but not confirmed (ticked). Use alt-down systematically rather than ctrl-down to go to the next untranslated segment. That way, you "jump over" any auto-propagated duplicates segments. Changes to pre-translated exact match duplicates can be auto-propagated using shift+alt+F9 (force propagation). Sometimes exact matches come already confirmed from memoQ or Studio. In that case you can easily unconfirm them by selecting exact matches with the segment selector (in the middle at the top of the grid), highlighting them and pressing ctrl+shift+T (to remove the tick).

Dave

Since, as you said, DVX works a little differently, I'm still trying to get my head around all of it. Getting there, but still have a fair distance to go.

I've gotten so used to my CAT tools auto-propagating to confirmed segments (I'm thinking memoQ, Studio and CafeTran here), up and down, that it's hard to readjust to this new way of thinking.

I still wonder if the best way is to allow auto-propagation to confirmed segments, but combine it with (1) a visual duplicate identifier (such as the colours in DVX3), plus (2) the ability to set a switch when you come to a duplicate segment, effectively saying: DO, or DON'T, auto-propagate this segment to confirmed segments up/down (like in CafeTran).

Anyway, back to work, and will continue playing around with everyone's suggestions.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't get "Change Case: Capitalize Each Word" to work with keyboard shortcut Nov 3, 2016

The "Change Case" keyboard shortcut cycles through some of the options (under Home > Text Formatting), but not all of them. It doesn't seem to reach "Capitalize Each Word", which I actually use a lot.

Incidentally, I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that saying "Capitalize Each Word" actually works on any selection in the target box in DVX3. I can't seem to figure out whether this is due to Dragon or KnowBrainer 2017.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Thanks Nov 3, 2016

David Turner wrote:

"Count duplicate segments" in the wordcount (ctrl+w), duplicates will be recognised (and flagged) in the grid across the whole project after doing a wordcount at the start of the project.

I find that it's so much easier to work on duplicates or similar segments across a multi-file project in DVX than memoQ or Studio. So many more easily accessible filtering possibilities.

Dave

Thanks for that, David.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to DVX3. How can I …

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »