Annemarie Weijer
Annemarie Weijer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:48
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 13, 2017

Hi,

As a translator in German I am a user of Wordfast Pro (version 4.10.2). Operating system is Windows 10. I am trying to get the German "Eszett" in a Wordfast document, but I do not succeed. I want to use the key combination ALT-s for the Eszett. Therefore, I have already changed in Wordfast the shortcut ALT-s in ALT-SHIFT-s, so the way for the wanted ALT-s combination is free. Is there a way in Wordfast to get the Eszett in the way I want to? If not, what should I do to succeed i
... See more
Hi,

As a translator in German I am a user of Wordfast Pro (version 4.10.2). Operating system is Windows 10. I am trying to get the German "Eszett" in a Wordfast document, but I do not succeed. I want to use the key combination ALT-s for the Eszett. Therefore, I have already changed in Wordfast the shortcut ALT-s in ALT-SHIFT-s, so the way for the wanted ALT-s combination is free. Is there a way in Wordfast to get the Eszett in the way I want to? If not, what should I do to succeed in getting the Eszett?

Who can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Annemarie
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Ask a pro Feb 13, 2017

Well, I don't know how to create the "Szet" in Wordfast 4 since I've just started using it myself. But you can always submit a support request to the WordFast team. They're really helpful.

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]

Elke Adams
Elke Adams  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hi Feb 13, 2017

try this: https://www.lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/schreiben/umlaute/umlaute_ASCII_html.html
Thayenga, "ss" is wrong in german (Germany)

[Bearbeitet am 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Can't always replace it Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

I have had clients who insisted on keeping it even in the English translation, for example in street names.

[Bearbeitet am 2017-02-14 01:38 GMT]

Susanne Rosenberg
Susanne Rosenberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
Alt + 225 Feb 13, 2017

Use the numeric keypad on the right when typing the numbers, this should do the trick.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Not true Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

Well, I don't know how to create the "Szet" in Wordfast 4 since I've just started using it myself. But you can always submit a support request to the WordFast team. They're really helpful.

I think you are mixing up Germany with Switzerland, where ss is always used. The "Eszett" continues to be used in Germany and Austria after a long vowel - compare "Maße" vs. "Masse". See also explanation at http://www.eszett-bls.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-the-letter-eszett.html

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It is true Feb 13, 2017

Steffen Walter wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

I think you are mixing up Germany with Switzerland, where ss is always used. The "Eszett" continues to be used in Germany and Austria after a long vowel - compare "Maße" vs. "Masse". See also explanation at http://www.eszett-bls.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-the-letter-eszett.html

Well, here in Germany they changed the use of the "Szet" to double ss in quite a few words, such as Genuss instead of the former Genuß, Gewissheit vs. Gewißheit, Bewußtsein vs. Bewusstsein, to name a few. So no, I'm not confusing Germany with Switzerland. I only remember how words were spelled before the German orthography reform of 1996.

Birgit Hübner
Birgit Hübner
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
In Germany you need to use the ß Feb 13, 2017

it is not the same:

Schoß - schoss, Maße - Masse, means - have different meanings

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
The difference is ... Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Well, here in Germany they changed the use of the "Szet" to double ss in quite a few words, such as Genuss instead of the former Genuß, Gewissheit vs. Gewißheit, Bewußtsein vs. Bewusstsein, to name a few. So no, I'm not confusing Germany with Switzerland. I only remember how words were spelled before the German orthography reform of 1996.

... short vowels (followed by ss) versus long vowels (ß), so it's quite clear where to use the Eszett and where not. I do remember, too, what the situation was like before the spelling reform(s).

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I agree Feb 13, 2017

Birgit Hübner wrote:

it is not the same:

Schoß - schoss, Maße - Masse, means - have different meanings

The different meaning is yet another reason for keeping this letter .

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
The simplest way is... Feb 13, 2017

a) get a Swiss keyboard if you work in the languages DE, FR, IT, EN. You have then all usable accents in one keystroke.

b) In Windows you can easily switch the language settings, but you have to install some keyboard settings first. Install the Swiss keyboard (or any other to your taste) in:
Systemsteuerung > Zeit, Sprache und Region > Tastaturen und Eingabemethoden ändern

To activate the Eszett you will have to switch from German (Switzerland) to German (Germany
... See more
a) get a Swiss keyboard if you work in the languages DE, FR, IT, EN. You have then all usable accents in one keystroke.

b) In Windows you can easily switch the language settings, but you have to install some keyboard settings first. Install the Swiss keyboard (or any other to your taste) in:
Systemsteuerung > Zeit, Sprache und Region > Tastaturen und Eingabemethoden ändern

To activate the Eszett you will have to switch from German (Switzerland) to German (Germany). In my checklist I will anyhow change at the end of my project occurences of ss to Eszett.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-13 16:58 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How getting the German "Eszett"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »