Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Interested in becoming a translator and do not know how to get started.
Thread poster: Gina84
Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Lonely? Oct 24, 2016

If you don't want to be alone all the time, go to a co-working place, full of like-minded souls.

Another thing, if you've got natural talent and a bit of dedication, you WILL succeed.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
We have a problem, Richard Oct 24, 2016

Richard Purdom wrote:
If you don't want to be alone all the time, go to a co-working place, full of like-minded souls.

That is a good solution for many lonely translators, but...

Gina84 wrote:
I'm married and have a 2 year old girl. She is the reason I'm looking into becoming a translator because from what I understand you can potentially do this from home.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Gap in the market! Oct 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Richard Purdom wrote:

That is a good solution for many lonely translators, but...

Gina84 wrote:
I'm married and have a 2 year old girl. She is the reason I'm looking into becoming a translator because from what I understand you can potentially do this from home.

...well there's a business idea for someone, co-working combined with childcare!

Juliano Martins
Juliano Martins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:21
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I had no experience when I started Oct 24, 2016

Hi Gina,
I had no experience whatsoever when I started translating back in 2008. However, I was able to get more and more clients over time. I changed my career from computer science into translation and I am very satisfied with it. It’s possible to earn a good money, if you have enough jobs. Don’t worry about having a degree. If you know how to translate, that’s what matters. I have a channel on YouTube where I give tips, but it’s
... See more
Hi Gina,
I had no experience whatsoever when I started translating back in 2008. However, I was able to get more and more clients over time. I changed my career from computer science into translation and I am very satisfied with it. It’s possible to earn a good money, if you have enough jobs. Don’t worry about having a degree. If you know how to translate, that’s what matters. I have a channel on YouTube where I give tips, but it’s in Portuguese, if you want to take a look: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR9BKLEsvfGWz1y34GqTAw
Regards,
Juliano.
Collapse

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:21
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meet colleagues Oct 26, 2016

You don't specify in your profile (which is completely bare at this point ... a full profile showing your education, training, languages, life experience, and special interests will be much more interesting to potential clients) where you live. If you happen to live in or near a big city, there might be a translators' association that you can connect with. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have NOTIS (Northwest Translators and Interpreters Society), which puts on high-quality professional trainin... See more
You don't specify in your profile (which is completely bare at this point ... a full profile showing your education, training, languages, life experience, and special interests will be much more interesting to potential clients) where you live. If you happen to live in or near a big city, there might be a translators' association that you can connect with. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have NOTIS (Northwest Translators and Interpreters Society), which puts on high-quality professional training workshops (where you can get more education AND meet colleagues who could guide and support you) and also social events. I know that there's also a similar group in New York state. I belonged to ATA for several years, and I think that my ATA profile attracted the job offers (and offers to take translation tests) that brought me a lot of work and experience over the last 8-10 years.

Just a few thoughts to add to the many suggestions: If you're going to be a successful translator you have to know your target language extremely well and be able to write it on a college-graduate level. College itself is not a prerequisite for success; one of my friends obtained a college degree years after becoming a superb translator and interpreter, but I think that being an "educated" person (well-read, curious and knowledgeable about different fields, intelligent) definitely is important. Having specialized knowledge or experience (or education) is important. Most important is the quality of your work and being reliable.

Buena suerte.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interested in becoming a translator and do not know how to get started.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »