Looking for a SWORN TRANSLATOR in ITALY- can anybody help me with some basic questions?
Thread poster: Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23, 2017

Ciao!

I recently moved to Italy (Verona) and am trying to get registered here. The Commune di Verona told me I had to bring a certified and apostilled translation of my (English) marriage certificate. They sent me to the Tribunale for the translation (and told me to go to the Prefettura afterwards to get the Apostille). At the Tribunale I was given the contact info of a traduttrice pubblica (I assume that is the Italian equivalent of a sworn translator?), however, it has been imposs
... See more
Ciao!

I recently moved to Italy (Verona) and am trying to get registered here. The Commune di Verona told me I had to bring a certified and apostilled translation of my (English) marriage certificate. They sent me to the Tribunale for the translation (and told me to go to the Prefettura afterwards to get the Apostille). At the Tribunale I was given the contact info of a traduttrice pubblica (I assume that is the Italian equivalent of a sworn translator?), however, it has been impossible to track her down, hence I am trying to get the translation done by somebody else.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the translator have to be sworn in by the same city, or can he/she be based anywhere in Italy. In other words, can I get my translation done by a translator in Rome and then hand it in at the Prefettura in Verona for the Apostille?

2. Does the translator need the original marriage certificate, or is it enough to email him/her a copy?

3. Can anybody recommend a sworn English-Italian translator?

Hope somebody can help me navigate the Italien bureaucracy jungle

Thanks!
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
"Sworn translator or "traduttore giurato"" Jan 23, 2017

Julia Glasmann wrote:

Ciao!

I recently moved to Italy (Verona) and am trying to get registered here. The Commune di Verona told me I had to bring a certified and apostilled translation of my (English) marriage certificate. They sent me to the Tribunale for the translation (and told me to go to the Prefettura afterwards to get the Apostille). At the Tribunale I was given the contact info of a traduttrice pubblica (I assume that is the Italian equivalent of a sworn translator?), however, it has been impossible to track her down, hence I am trying to get the translation done by somebody else.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the translator have to be sworn in by the same city, or can he/she be based anywhere in Italy. In other words, can I get my translation done by a translator in Rome and then hand it in at the Prefettura in Verona for the Apostille?

2. Does the translator need the original marriage certificate, or is it enough to email him/her a copy?

3. Can anybody recommend a sworn English-Italian translator?

Hope somebody can help me navigate the Italien bureaucracy jungle

Thanks!

Hello,

I've been a "traduttrice giurata e iscritta all'albo CTU dei traduttori" for a long time, so I am able to answer your questions even if some little things sometimes may change from court to court.
1. The translator can be based anywhere in Italy but 2. They do need the original marriage certificate
3. Sworn English-Italian translators, for my experience, are a dime in a dozen, just post a job on Proz and you'll find one in a heartbeat.

HTH
Giusi

[Edited at 2017-01-23 12:48 GMT]

Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 23, 2017

Thanks a bunch, Giuisi, that helps a lot!!!

Since you mentioned that you are registered in the "albo CTU dei traduttori" - can you tell me how/where to get registered? Is this a nation-wide "albo" or handled by each city/community separately? I read on one forum that it is handled by the camera di commercio, others say to go to the tribunale...

I thought I could just continue my work as a freelance translator the same way I did in Germany, but one of the things on the l
... See more

Since you mentioned that you are registered in the "albo CTU dei traduttori" - can you tell me how/where to get registered? Is this a nation-wide "albo" or handled by each city/community separately? I read on one forum that it is handled by the camera di commercio, others say to go to the tribunale...

I thought I could just continue my work as a freelance translator the same way I did in Germany, but one of the things on the list I am supposed to present at the Commune to get my carta di residenza is proof of employment which, in the case of (non-Italian?) freelancers apparently includes a "dimostrazione dell'iscrizione all'albo del relativo ordine professionale". I understand Italian reasonably well (B2), but the info that popped up when I tried to google it is confusing...
Collapse

English to Italian
+ ...
CTU Jan 23, 2017

Julia Glasmann wrote:

I thought I could just continue my work as a freelance translator the same way I did in Germany, but one of the things on the list I am supposed to present at the Commune to get my carta di residenza is proof of employment which, in the case of (non-Italian?) freelancers apparently includes a "dimostrazione dell'iscrizione all'albo del relativo ordine professionale". I understand Italian reasonably well (B2), but the info that popped up when I tried to google it is confusing...

You have to ask to your Court where you reside, because things change based on the relevant Court. I did this a long time ago, so things might have changed quite a bit. I also had to register with the C.C.I.A.A. (Camera di Commercio, Industria, Agricoltura e Artigianato) of my hometown, in order to be able to become a CTU and also pass some exams (which were pretty easy compared to all the exams I had to go through at my University).

Good Luck!
Giusi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a SWORN TRANSLATOR in ITALY- can anybody help me with some basic questions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »