Mobile menu

Where to find a job for a good interpreter-translator English Russian?
מפרסם התגובה: Lzeloni

Lzeloni
הפדרציה הרוסית
Local time: 04:57
מאנגלית לרוסית
+ ...
Apr 21

Hello everybody!
I am a very good translator, but I cant find a good job on the internet.
Any advices?
About me:
I live in St. Petersburg, Russia.
I'm a native speaker, studied in New York.Also I have a TOEFL certificate.
I speak fluently and I can translate English easily.
I teach Russian and English in my country, as well as on the Internet.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
ספרד
Local time: 02:57
חבר (2007)
אנגלית
+ ...
What sort of a job? Apr 21

Lzeloni wrote:
I am a very good translator, but I cant find a good job on the internet.

Are you looking for a salaried job - as in being employed? If so, I think you're unlikely to find one, unless things are different in Russia. Most translators are freelancers, working for each client on a single text, maybe just a page i.e. an hour's work, and then hoping they'll come back for more. There are many jobs of that sort online, in fact there's a vast number of them. They aren't all good, though .

Here on ProZ.com is as good a place as any to market your services, as it's the largest online translation marketplace. But there are poor, bottom-feeding clients here as well as good ones, and unfortunately it's the poor ones who are the most seen. It stands to reason really - they are so unappetising to work with, translators tend to do one job for them and then prefer to find better clients, so those agencies are always needing more translators for their large volumes of work for end clients who are more interested in a cheap translation than a quality one. If you want to be contacted privately by the best agencies and by direct clients here, you have to make yourself stand out from the crowd. You can find out how to do that by visiting the Site Guidance Centre and attending the regular free webinar on meeting clients here.

But wherever you look online you'll be competing against many other EN>RU translators. So you don't just have to stand out here on ProZ.com; you have to make yourself seen wherever and whenever you can. Not by sending spam emails and constantly friending and retweeting etc., but by providing worthwhile content and by networking. So, concentrate on your marketing and make sure it's all persuasive and polished. And then get it out there in front of everyone who might have any work for you or be a useful contact.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Advice for the young II Apr 21

Hi, Lzeloni,

If you're looking for a salaried job, the first stop would be a local translation agency, where you could work as a project manager. Even for experienced translators, doing a stint (1-3 years) in project management gives you a number of skills and a knowledge of the markets that working alone as a translator does not. I know because I did that.

As Sheila pointed out, the competition is fierce (paraphrasing here, Sheila ). I would add that the competition in the translation profession is stacked against newcomers, who have to find ways to stand out.

I would also try to learn from my local competition: what are the other translators doing to stand out, to get work in St. Petersburg? Maybe you can join a local chapter or association of translators and interpreters, and offer proofreading services, or services as a backup interpreter.

I've been told your city is beautiful.



Direct link Reply with quote
 
The Misha
Local time: 21:57
מרוסית לאנגלית
+ ...
May I suggest you work on your presentation skills a tad longer Apr 21

Lzeloni wrote:

I am a very good translator


Maybe you are, but somehow I am not convinced, not by that post of yours, I am not.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lzeloni
הפדרציה הרוסית
Local time: 04:57
מאנגלית לרוסית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 21

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Lzeloni wrote:
I am a very good translator, but I cant find a good job on the internet.

Are you looking for a salaried job - as in being employed? If so, I think you're unlikely to find one, unless things are different in Russia. Most translators are freelancers, working for each client on a single text, maybe just a page i.e. an hour's work, and then hoping they'll come back for more. There are many jobs of that sort online, in fact there's a vast number of them. They aren't all good, though .

Here on ProZ.com is as good a place as any to market your services, as it's the largest online translation marketplace. But there are poor, bottom-feeding clients here as well as good ones, and unfortunately it's the poor ones who are the most seen. It stands to reason really - they are so unappetising to work with, translators tend to do one job for them and then prefer to find better clients, so those agencies are always needing more translators for their large volumes of work for end clients who are more interested in a cheap translation than a quality one. If you want to be contacted privately by the best agencies and by direct clients here, you have to make yourself stand out from the crowd. You can find out how to do that by visiting the Site Guidance Centre and attending the regular free webinar on meeting clients here.

But wherever you look online you'll be competing against many other EN>RU translators. So you don't just have to stand out here on ProZ.com; you have to make yourself seen wherever and whenever you can. Not by sending spam emails and constantly friending and retweeting etc., but by providing worthwhile content and by networking. So, concentrate on your marketing and make sure it's all persuasive and polished. And then get it out there in front of everyone who might have any work for you or be a useful contact.


Thank you so much!!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lzeloni
הפדרציה הרוסית
Local time: 04:57
מאנגלית לרוסית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 21

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hi, Lzeloni,

If you're looking for a salaried job, the first stop would be a local translation agency, where you could work as a project manager. Even for experienced translators, doing a stint (1-3 years) in project management gives you a number of skills and a knowledge of the markets that working alone as a translator does not. I know because I did that.

As Sheila pointed out, the competition is fierce (paraphrasing here, Sheila ). I would add that the competition in the translation profession is stacked against newcomers, who have to find ways to stand out.

I would also try to learn from my local competition: what are the other translators doing to stand out, to get work in St. Petersburg? Maybe you can join a local chapter or association of translators and interpreters, and offer proofreading services, or services as a backup interpreter.

I've been told your city is beautiful.


Thank you!! Yes, our city is amazing, you should visit it=)))


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ILAN RUBIN  Identity Verified
הפדרציה הרוסית
Local time: 04:57
חבר (2015)
מרוסית לאנגלית
hh.ru Apr 23

There is a huge number of in-house translation jobs advertised on hh.ru and other sites like job.ru

Mario: St Pete is indeed beautiful. Best visited in spring (May-June) or autumn (Sep-Oct), other periods are too hot or too cold.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Ilan comes through! Apr 24

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

There is a huge number of in-house translation jobs advertised on hh.ru and other sites like job.ru

Mario: St Pete is indeed beautiful. Best visited in spring (May-June) or autumn (Sep-Oct), other periods are too hot or too cold.


Thank you, Ilan. Maybe I will! I've been meeting students and professionals born in that city. I believe that it is easier to make such a travel a reality when you meet someone from that city and forge a good friendship.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Let's not be so binary... Apr 24

The Misha wrote:

Lzeloni wrote:

I am a very good translator


Maybe you are, but somehow I am not convinced, not by that post of yours, I am not.


I don't think being a good (or bad) translator has anything to do with absolute values but with degrees. Was I a good translator when I got my BA in Translation Studies and English? To me, I was, but to my clients, I had a ways to go.

After all, this is not Karate Kid I (“There is no try!” etc.)




Direct link Reply with quote
 

ILAN RUBIN  Identity Verified
הפדרציה הרוסית
Local time: 04:57
חבר (2015)
מרוסית לאנגלית
I take it your wife... Apr 24

Mario Chavez wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

There is a huge number of in-house translation jobs advertised on hh.ru and other sites like job.ru

Mario: St Pete is indeed beautiful. Best visited in spring (May-June) or autumn (Sep-Oct), other periods are too hot or too cold.


Thank you, Ilan. Maybe I will! I've been meeting students and professionals born in that city. I believe that it is easier to make such a travel a reality when you meet someone from that city and forge a good friendship.



...(if you have one) doesn't read your posts


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Ahem... Apr 24

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

There is a huge number of in-house translation jobs advertised on hh.ru and other sites like job.ru

Mario: St Pete is indeed beautiful. Best visited in spring (May-June) or autumn (Sep-Oct), other periods are too hot or too cold.


Thank you, Ilan. Maybe I will! I've been meeting students and professionals born in that city. I believe that it is easier to make such a travel a reality when you meet someone from that city and forge a good friendship.



...(if you have one) doesn't read your posts


A less equable person would take issue with such jibe. Let's stay professional, shall we?


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to find a job for a good interpreter-translator English Russian?

Advanced search


Translation news





Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • חיפוש מונח
  • עבודות