Finding the right size of mouse for you
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2017

I recently purchased a Logitech mouse for about 15 euros because my current USB wireless mouse is too small for my hand.

This may seem like a superfluous preoccupation but it is not. Years ago, I heard (or read) that the size of a mouse should conform to the user's hand size, because if the mouse is too small, the hand muscles have to work a bit harder to grasp the contours of the device. Given the fact, the necessary reality that most of us translators use a mouse (wired or wireles
... See more
I recently purchased a Logitech mouse for about 15 euros because my current USB wireless mouse is too small for my hand.

This may seem like a superfluous preoccupation but it is not. Years ago, I heard (or read) that the size of a mouse should conform to the user's hand size, because if the mouse is too small, the hand muscles have to work a bit harder to grasp the contours of the device. Given the fact, the necessary reality that most of us translators use a mouse (wired or wireless) for hours at a computer, holding a mouse that is too small for our hand creates problems in the long term or aggravates some preexisting problems, among them:

Tendinitis
Overuse muscle syndrome
Tennis elbow
Muscle cramps
Wrist pain
Shoulder pain

I am writing this in the hopes that others suffering from pain (chronic or otherwise) in their wrist, forearm, elbow or shoulder might check the size of the hand devices they use on a daily basis.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mouse Apr 3, 2017

I am using a gaming mouse and keyboard.

Mouse: Ozone Argon
Keyboard: Ozone StrikeBattle

Obviously, I do not play games at all. However, the mouse is very comfortable and the 10-keyless keyboard with brown switches does the job just fine (very noisy though, but it’s meant to be). Bear in mind that fully blown huge keyboards cause you shoulder strain, since unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger type of person, you will have to reach with your arm much further than
... See more

Obviously, I do not play games at all. However, the mouse is very comfortable and the 10-keyless keyboard with brown switches does the job just fine (very noisy though, but it’s meant to be). Bear in mind that fully blown huge keyboards cause you shoulder strain, since unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger type of person, you will have to reach with your arm much further than with a much shorter 10-keyless keyboard; it allows for more space to keep your mouse closer to your natural position, when typing.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mine is a Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 with switches Apr 3, 2017

Merab Dekano wrote:

Obviously, I do not play games at all. However, the mouse is very comfortable and the 10-keyless keyboard with brown switches does the job just fine (very noisy though, but it’s meant to be). Bear in mind that fully blown huge keyboards cause you shoulder strain, since unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger type of person, you will have to reach with your arm much further than with a much shorter 10-keyless keyboard; it allows for more space to keep your mouse closer to your natural position, when typing.

I hear you, Merab. I'm currently working out of my dorm room in Lisbon while taking PhD classes, so my keyboard+mouse combo are not top of the line as in my home office. There, I have a $120 (US dollars) Nighthawk X8 with switches, full numeric pad, the works. Very comfortable, no strain.

The keyboard I'm using with my MacBook is a Dell. No gamer keyboard but the travel distance of the keys is very comfortable and responsive. No strain.

What was causing me strain and finger fatigue was the otherwise great Logitech M315 travel wireless mouse (I have 3 at home). It's a mouse for girls, I think.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Rollermouse! No looking back. Apr 3, 2017

I have been using a Rollermouse since a couple of years, which cured the problems in my shoulder, elbow and wrist almost instantaneously. What's more: After a short period of habituation, these work faster and at the same time more precise than conventional devices.

They come at a hefty price, but they're worth every cent!

... See more
I have been using a Rollermouse since a couple of years, which cured the problems in my shoulder, elbow and wrist almost instantaneously. What's more: After a short period of habituation, these work faster and at the same time more precise than conventional devices.

http://www.contourdesign.com/DE/

http://www.contourdesign.com/UK/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/contour_design_rollermouse_red_userguide_english.pdf

[Edited at 2017-04-03 12:53 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good conversation starter Apr 3, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

http://www.contourdesign.com/DE/

http://www.contourdesign.com/UK/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/contour_design_rollermouse_red_userguide_english.pdf

[Edited at 2017-04-03 12:53 GMT]

Thanks, Erik. Yes, the Rollermouse is pretty expensive at almost $200 (US dollars). I'm looking now for a mouse that feels right for my hand. I found this useful article: http://bit.ly/2nwfJGH

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
I have a Logitech trackball Apr 3, 2017

its name is "Marble Mouse", and it's basically a mouse lying on its back. I do NOT wish to move my hand around, I haven't won my muscle energy in the lottery!* It's a bit on the big side for my hand, but only half a centimeter or so. Not sure how it would feel to a giant man paw.

*translated German idiom alert

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Trackpoint all the way Apr 3, 2017

I don't use mice at all unless forced to by the circumstances. My rodent of choice is the trackpoint, also known as the pointing stick and often aptly compared to a certain part of female anatomy. I have happily used them for 20+ years. Besides notebooks, Lenovo also offers trackpoint-equipped keyboards, USB as well as Bluetooth.

Trackballs are nice, too, but the ball ought to be big and heavy. Kensington makes very good ones.

[Edited at 2017-04-03 17:11 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely a full-size mouse Apr 3, 2017

I always pack a full-size Logitech mouse in my laptop backpack.

Another item in my laptop backpack is my full-size keyboard, actually the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop. I have been using it for some time and despite the fact that it is not very rugged (do not let children play with it), it is very comfortable and packs nicely with your laptop if you use a laptop backpack more than a thin laptop case. It runs on batteries, but they really last very long if you are careful enough
... See more
I always pack a full-size Logitech mouse in my laptop backpack.

Another item in my laptop backpack is my full-size keyboard, actually the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop. I have been using it for some time and despite the fact that it is not very rugged (do not let children play with it), it is very comfortable and packs nicely with your laptop if you use a laptop backpack more than a thin laptop case. It runs on batteries, but they really last very long if you are careful enough to remove one battery before packing it with your laptop.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Apr 3, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

I hear you, Merab. I'm currently working out of my dorm room in Lisbon while taking PhD classes, so my keyboard+mouse combo are not top of the line as in my home office. There, I have a $120 (US dollars) Nighthawk X8 with switches, full numeric pad, the works. Very comfortable, no strain.

The keyboard I'm using with my MacBook is a Dell. No gamer keyboard but the travel distance of the keys is very comfortable and responsive. No strain.

What was causing me strain and finger fatigue was the otherwise great Logitech M315 travel wireless mouse (I have 3 at home). It's a mouse for girls, I think.

My previous mouse was too a small one. Not comfortable at all.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Man paw Apr 3, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

its name is "Marble Mouse", and it's basically a mouse lying on its back. I do NOT wish to move my hand around, I haven't won my muscle energy in the lottery!* It's a bit on the big side for my hand, but only half a centimeter or so. Not sure how it would feel to a giant man paw.

*translated German idiom alert

Hahah! If I had a giant man paw, then you'd be a Hobbit lady.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The mouse ... Apr 4, 2017

... would definitely need those "Kensington" features Anton mentions if it's going to be working alongside a CAT.

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:40
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Razer Death Adder Apr 4, 2017

Though absolutely not a gamer at all, I use this model for work. It was a gift from my friend who is also a translator, and it turned out to be a very comfortable gadget.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Vertical mouse Apr 4, 2017

I'm using a Sharkk vertical mouse. The position of your hand is much more natural with this than with a standard flat mouse, I would not want to go back.

On the other hand, I think that mouse activity should be minimal during translation. Translation is a typing job, and moving the hand away from the keyboard routinely not only kills productivity, it will lead to some form of repetitive strain no matter how brilliant your mouse is. Any CAT tool that forces the user to use the mouse
... See more
I'm using a Sharkk vertical mouse. The position of your hand is much more natural with this than with a standard flat mouse, I would not want to go back.

On the other hand, I think that mouse activity should be minimal during translation. Translation is a typing job, and moving the hand away from the keyboard routinely not only kills productivity, it will lead to some form of repetitive strain no matter how brilliant your mouse is. Any CAT tool that forces the user to use the mouse within a project, is crap.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Why use a mouse at all? Apr 4, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I am writing this in the hopes that others suffering from pain (chronic or otherwise) in their wrist, forearm, elbow or shoulder might check the size of the hand devices they use on a daily basis.

I feel your pain (literally).

In the past, my suffering with the problems you describe became so serious that I had pain running all the way through my wrist,up my arm, and into my shoulder.

Then I discovered… Dictation!

The way to solve mouse problems is… not to use a mouse!

I don't have those pains any more, or at least not much. Of course one still has to use the mouse - but not nearly so much.

[Edited at 2017-04-04 09:08 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dictation Apr 4, 2017

Yes, Tom, I run Dragon NS 12 (Premium, Spanish and English) for some projects, but I do not use dictation software to work on my CAT tools. Why? Simple: Dragon NS's middling performance in recognition: 70-90%, no more than that.

I bought an HP X4500 wireless mouse at Worten today, it's the closest to my ergonomic full-size mouse at home.

Remember the days when some humongous keyboards incorporated mouse functions? I'm thinking...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding the right size of mouse for you

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »