Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:42
English to German
+ ...
Aug 7, 2013

Hi
does anybody know how to switch from sentence segmentation to paragraph segmentation in HS 8? The manual says that I would have to do some settings in some ominous SRX segmentation file but I don't know where to start. Does anybody have such a ready made SRX segmentation file and would he share it?
Thanks for helping

Wolfgang

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 17:42
Not supported currently Aug 8, 2013

Hi Wolfgang,

Paragraph based segmentation is not supported in TS R8 currently. May I ask that why do you want to segment your files based on paragraph, rather than sentence?

You can try the following workaround:
If the file formats are supported by our TS R7 (or other CAT), please convert your files with R7 (by enabling the Paragraph Segmentation option in the conversion dialog), and then translate the XLIFF files with R8.

Felix

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paragraph segmentation Aug 8, 2013

Hi Felix,
I know paragraph segmentation is rarely used, but I have a customer I translate data sheet for and the number of characters should not exceed 255. In a segment containing the whole paragraph I can see the number of characters at once, otherwise I would have to count and sum up every single segment of that paragraph.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 17:42
Workarounds Aug 12, 2013

Hi Wolfgang,

There are two workarounds may help you:

1. As I mentioned in my first reply, convert your source files into XLIFF with R7, then use the method here http://blog.heartsome.net/?p=95 to translate the XLIFF files.

2. Convert your source files with R8, then use Edit > Merge segments to merge the segments from the same paragraph.

Regards,
Fe
... See more
Hi Wolfgang,

There are two workarounds may help you:

1. As I mentioned in my first reply, convert your source files into XLIFF with R7, then use the method here http://blog.heartsome.net/?p=95 to translate the XLIFF files.

2. Convert your source files with R8, then use Edit > Merge segments to merge the segments from the same paragraph.

Regards,
Felix
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workarounds Aug 12, 2013

Hi Felix,
AAMOF I was aware of the second turnaround you mentioned and should use this one while waiting for paragraph segmentation to be implemented in R8.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Feb 15, 2014

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Hi
does anybody know how to switch from sentence segmentation to paragraph segmentation in HS 8? The manual says that I would have to do some settings in some ominous SRX segmentation file but I don't know where to start. Does anybody have such a ready made SRX segmentation file and would he share it?
Thanks for helping

Wolfgang

I finally managed to get hold of an .srx segmentation file and now Heartsome imports with paragraph segmentation.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Segmentation in HS 8 Pro

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »