jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:26
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 6, 2016

I guess most forum participants focus on translating other than interpreting in their business. Often times an interpreting job post would receive replies from only a few respondents.

If a job post receives only, say, 3 respondents, do you think the translation company will find a qualified one from among them? If not, what will the translation company do?

[Edited at 2016-11-06 07:16 GMT]

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
where are the interpreters? Nov 6, 2016

Fully agreed. But I guess many people answering jobs for interpreters are not actually Professional interpreters. I can see that time over and over again and the rate offered does not correspond to reality or to the market at all. One american company offers $200 for 8 hours simultaneous interpreting,in one of the common languages. The market rate is €900! How can they get professionals? The same goes for a Moroccan company that is looking for experts anddoes not pay... Agencies need to be edu... See more
Fully agreed. But I guess many people answering jobs for interpreters are not actually Professional interpreters. I can see that time over and over again and the rate offered does not correspond to reality or to the market at all. One american company offers $200 for 8 hours simultaneous interpreting,in one of the common languages. The market rate is €900! How can they get professionals? The same goes for a Moroccan company that is looking for experts anddoes not pay... Agencies need to be educated, but then they probably do not even understand what the job entails.Collapse

Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:26
German to English
+ ...
I've often wondered the same Nov 6, 2016

... but never actually figured it out. So my 2c aren't really much use here! Most of my interpreting jobs have come from my own contacts, although I did get one from a reputable agency with appropriate fee.

Always a little bit depressing seeing those adverts, but I try to tell myself that markets regulate themselves.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe...... Nov 7, 2016

.... because there are more translators then interpreters, which is reflected in the number of answers on Proz.

PS) I am a translator.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Built for translators Nov 7, 2016

ProZ was made with translators in mind and interpreters do not get much use out of this website, unfortunately. However, any agency knows that qualified interpreters are listed on the AIIC directory. Then, there are country-specific registers such as the NRPSI.

The issue here I guess is that qualifications come at a price which agencies are not prepared to pay.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Globalization Nov 7, 2016

Proz has leveraged globalization for translators. Now a client in Germany may contract a translation agency in France, which will hire me to translate in Brazil, and have my output proofread by a colleague in the USA, before it goes back to the agency in France, and is delivered to the end-client in Germany.

Interpreting by telephone/Skype is not so popular. So it's a matter of location. It's unlikely that a client will hire an interpreter from out-of-town if one is available locall
... See more
Proz has leveraged globalization for translators. Now a client in Germany may contract a translation agency in France, which will hire me to translate in Brazil, and have my output proofread by a colleague in the USA, before it goes back to the agency in France, and is delivered to the end-client in Germany.

Interpreting by telephone/Skype is not so popular. So it's a matter of location. It's unlikely that a client will hire an interpreter from out-of-town if one is available locally, since it involves unnecessary additional time and costs. Hence the good ol'way prevails; hiring interpreters is done by phone, without having to dial an area code.
Collapse

AmandaCB
AmandaCB
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
they are here Nov 7, 2016

Hi,
I think the most translators are also interpreters but they work more as translators as this depends on the area where they live.
I work as interpreter.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-11-07 20:00 GMT]

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now it makes sense! Nov 25, 2016

This post makes me understand why nobody has replied to my other thread in Money Matters asking for advice about appropriate rates to offer as a freelance interpreter. (If anyone in this thread can offer guidance that would be awesome.)

I'm currently a full-time medical interpreter and am slowly trying to get the ball rolling into freelance translation.

Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates Dec 24, 2016

The community is quite secretive about rates. When I started out as a translator, I found it really hard to find out how much to charge. And often when somebody dared to offer some money advice, there were also plenty of trolling agents ready to slag them off for charging too much or too little. So, my guess is that you haven´t received any reply, because translators and interpreters do not like talking about rates in public.

My guess is that the rates will vary from country to co
... See more
The community is quite secretive about rates. When I started out as a translator, I found it really hard to find out how much to charge. And often when somebody dared to offer some money advice, there were also plenty of trolling agents ready to slag them off for charging too much or too little. So, my guess is that you haven´t received any reply, because translators and interpreters do not like talking about rates in public.

My guess is that the rates will vary from country to country. For public service interpreting in the UK, my experience is that agencies and local authorities alike (local authorities would be the government run body that looks after an area, for instance in Bristol the local council is the "government" and you can book interpreters through them) pay between 19-25 GBP per hour, more tending to the 19 GPB side. The interpreter is a freelancer, and from that you have then to pay about 20% income tax and about 10% National Insurance contributions, depending on your tax band.

In relation to the question about how many qualified interpreters there are out there, well, from my personal experience, at least in the UK, both agencies and local authorities take on qualified as well as unqualified interpreters.
Collapse

PicLaith
PicLaith
Canada
Local time: 11:26
Arabic to English
+ ...
Rates Dec 27, 2016

DarwinEscobar wrote:

This post makes me understand why nobody has replied to my other thread in Money Matters asking for advice about appropriate rates to offer as a freelance interpreter. (If anyone in this thread can offer guidance that would be awesome.)

I'm currently a full-time medical interpreter and am slowly trying to get the ball rolling into freelance translation.

As an interpreter here in Canada, BC.
I make $CAD 30-35 /hr plus petrol and parking ticket if any, it also depends if booked in advance or weekend rates.
I sometimes go to hospitals or meet with family doctors, it could be a conference call, meeting at the bank, etc

In addition, Business managers and CEOs may need help communicating with foreign companies, an Interpreter in general will have a better knowledge in assisting clients and knowing the general feel of the meeting.

Conveying concepts correctly in the target language and knowing the culture, are essential and cant be replaced by software. It can make deals worth 1000s of dollars for 1 hr fee.

[Edited at 2016-12-27 09:17 GMT]

xxxhollycric (X)
xxxhollycric (X)  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
For what it's worth Jan 4, 2017

I was hired by the court system in the US to interpret at a trial. I did some research (on Proz!) and offered them a rate of $40/hour with a 2-hour minimum which they accepted. Later I found out that another interpreter had been paid $50/hour for the same job, but she had a law degree. I hope that's helpful.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Only $40???? Jan 6, 2017

hollycrichton wrote:

I was hired by the court system in the US to interpret at a trial. I did some research (on Proz!) and offered them a rate of $40/hour with a 2-hour minimum which they accepted. Later I found out that another interpreter had been paid $50/hour for the same job, but she had a law degree. I hope that's helpful.

$ 40 -50/hr for court interpreting is low, except for Spanish. I traveled to Maryland to interpret in court, being hired by an agency, and got paid 50/hr. If an interpreter is on the roster of court interpreters the court can hire him/her directly and pay him/her between 60-80/hr.

Maria Talamas
Maria Talamas  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2015)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two - hour minimum rate Oct 4, 2017

Hello, I am an interpreter in the DC area and have been booked for several different appointments at a single health clinic on the same day- almost back to back. I typically jump from one assignment to the other at different locations but never had 5 different appointments at the same location, on the same day, so Im wondering how the two-hour minimum fee would apply, if at all, for the different assignments. Thanks!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
If you ”jump” from assignment to assignment at the same location Oct 5, 2017

Maria Talamas wrote:

Hello, I am an interpreter in the DC area and have been booked for several different appointments at a single health clinic on the same day- almost back to back. I typically jump from one assignment to the other at different locations but never had 5 different appointments at the same location, on the same day, so Im wondering how the two-hour minimum fee would apply, if at all, for the different assignments. Thanks!

It is obvious that the minimum 2 hr. rule does not apply. We are talking about assignments that last less than 2 hrs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are the interpreters?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »