Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?
Thread poster: Christina B.
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Agreement May 3, 2015

There is no such thing, in the English language, as "an agree".

If anyone agrees with a suggestion I make, depending on how I'm feeling at the time I may thank them or not.

The idea of the "agree" thing is to give users the opportunity to add weight to a particular suggestion, and to add a comment substantiating their agreement, should they wish to add one.

It isn't intended as a way for users to show how polite they are.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 08:15
... See more
There is no such thing, in the English language, as "an agree".

If anyone agrees with a suggestion I make, depending on how I'm feeling at the time I may thank them or not.

The idea of the "agree" thing is to give users the opportunity to add weight to a particular suggestion, and to add a comment substantiating their agreement, should they wish to add one.

It isn't intended as a way for users to show how polite they are.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I see it the same way as JaneTranslates May 3, 2015

Someone has taken the time and effort to agree that your translation and explanation is correct (in their opinion), so it seems courteous to acknowledge them. Remember that in personal contact you can just smile or nod; online you can be nodding to your computer but nobody will see. So it's "Thanks" or ignore the poster. I certainly thank them if they've done more than just click on the button.

But I for one don't get
... See more
Someone has taken the time and effort to agree that your translation and explanation is correct (in their opinion), so it seems courteous to acknowledge them. Remember that in personal contact you can just smile or nod; online you can be nodding to your computer but nobody will see. So it's "Thanks" or ignore the poster. I certainly thank them if they've done more than just click on the button.

But I for one don't get in the least upset if I'm left without thanks. As for disagrees, I just do what comes naturally - thank them for their heads up, disagree with their disagree, or ignore them because they're playing childish games (fortunately that's rare).
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For a disagree... May 3, 2015

"Thank you for your opinion." should do.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
So, to be truly polite ... May 3, 2015

So, to be truly "polite", should one also say "thank you for the thank you", in an interminable "danke schön, bitte schön" process?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thank you May 3, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:

So, to be truly "polite", should one also say "thank you for the thank you", in an interminable "danke schön, bitte schön" process?

Thank you for pointing that out.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't mention it ... May 3, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Thank you for pointing that out.

You're welcome ...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not at all May 3, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:

You're welcome ...

Not at all. It was the least I could do.

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is a technical validation not a social attitude! May 3, 2015

In my kudoz practice:

Agree: Thank you for taking the time to validate my answer...

Disagree: Thank you for bringing other idea or point of view... and let us discuss further or I will hide my answer as it does not fit with the question...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Correct May 3, 2015

It is a technical validation not a social attitude!

Correct. In fact....I......agree !

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes May 3, 2015

Like many other people, as I go through life I like to know that I am not alone in the world and that others share my outlook, knowledge and opinions. This is one reason that I may thank someone for agreeing with my kudoz suggestions, or similar comments. Occasionally my gratitude may stem from the simple fact of being understood, that the other person “gets where I'm coming from”.

pS: On the other hand, I may just be expressing my gratitude at not being shot down in flames, ha
... See more
Like many other people, as I go through life I like to know that I am not alone in the world and that others share my outlook, knowledge and opinions. This is one reason that I may thank someone for agreeing with my kudoz suggestions, or similar comments. Occasionally my gratitude may stem from the simple fact of being understood, that the other person “gets where I'm coming from”.

pS: On the other hand, I may just be expressing my gratitude at not being shot down in flames, having my efforts belittled, or my suggestions pooh-poohed, as occasionally happens with some of our more trollish colleagues.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Consensus May 3, 2015

I find it interesting that the meaning of a word can be decided by consensus. Wittgenstein would be happy.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 09:34 GMT]

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
agree with Jenny May 3, 2015

I have on occasions thanked someone who has agreed with an answer I have given but it was usually when I could see the usual gathering of sheep behind another answer that I knew to be way out left field. I was saying thank you to the one sane person on the site at that moment!
Otherwise, where would it stop (cf. exchange Jenny -Tom) ?

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
It´s not a minor matter May 3, 2015

I think, the different stands taken in this discussion prove that thanking or not for an "agree" is not a minor matter.
We all react according to our cultural backgrounds and personal values. One of the positive aspect of this site is that you learn to deal positively with the differences. Some people like to be thanked, other ones may be indifferent. But certainly no one will be angered for receiving a "thank you".
Ju
... See more
I think, the different stands taken in this discussion prove that thanking or not for an "agree" is not a minor matter.
We all react according to our cultural backgrounds and personal values. One of the positive aspect of this site is that you learn to deal positively with the differences. Some people like to be thanked, other ones may be indifferent. But certainly no one will be angered for receiving a "thank you".
Just answering Tom of London: Do you know how I learned about Proz? They made a kind of social translation contest last year.
You had to translate a short text. The winner was the translator who got the most votes by followers though the social nets. That´s consensus indeed!

[Edited at 2015-05-03 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I agree with Cilian, Jenny and Polyglot May 3, 2015

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I can't find the threads at the mo ...

Some people see it as common politeness, others see it as currying favour, as distasteful/unprofessional arselicking.

Both standpoints are legitimate, I suppose.

Must go now, boxfight is about to start...

polyglot45 wrote:

I have on occasions thanked someone who has agreed with an answer I have given but it was usually when I could see the usual gathering of sheep behind another answer that I knew to be way out left field. I was saying thank you to the one sane person on the site at that moment!
Otherwise, where would it stop (cf. exchange Jenny -Tom) ?

Interestingly, the old polite habit of Askers expressing their gratitude to EVERYONE who took the time and effort to help them with their posted term, phrase, paragraph etc. has all but disappeared. It seems to have been replaced by the automatic thank you posted by Answerers to believers.

I put this down to the apparent fact that Kudoz is seen as the main Proz self-marketing arena and good marketing also includes encouraging customer/colleague loyalty. So being polite to (potential) supporters is paramount. Questions are just a way to a means (of gathering Kudoz points).
Funny how things change/shift as time goes on.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 14:40 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Social aspect May 3, 2015

I think saying thank you to an agree can also be an act of phatic communication.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »