Thread poster: Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 18:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2016

What's with all the questions without even a full sentence (at least in my language pair)? Never mind context; that's a quasi-extinct animal. It's like pulling teeth, no matter how many times you explain that in order to offer a decent suggestion - that isn't misleading and without resorting to guessing - you need more. Vent over.

[Edited at 2016-06-09 22:33 GMT]

Kirsten Larsen (X)
Kirsten Larsen (X)
Spain
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
You are so right. Jun 9, 2016

It´s an everlasting problem. Now, many translators are probably afraid to reveal too much context as they have signed a confidentiality agreement.

Regards,
Kirsten

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Luckily there's an easy fix for that... Jun 9, 2016

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:51
French to English
+ ...
Yes, Jun 10, 2016

it's a shame, isn't it?

telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 04:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
content shy Jun 10, 2016

Are they more content shy? Puxa !!

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 00:51
English to German
In memoriam
Don't shoot the dentist ... Jun 10, 2016

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes wrote:

What's with all the questions without even a full sentence (at least in my language pair)? Never mind context; that's a quasi-extinct animal. It's like pulling teeth, no matter how many times you explain that in order to offer a decent suggestion - that isn't misleading and without resorting to guessing - you need more. Vent over.

[Edited at 2016-06-09 22:33 GMT]

I'm totally with you, but the comparison with pulling teeth escapes me. I think a dentist does not need as much context as a translator

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
To be fair ... Jun 10, 2016

Although I agree that knowing the context is key to providing assistance, sometimes the context is quite minimal. I couldn't count the number of times I've translated parts lists containing completely unrelated components (air mattress, gear wheel, epoxy, etc.) or CVs describing a variety of unrelated activities within a company.

On the other hand, new translators need to be taught how to form an inquiry in order to get the best help possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A KudoZ Helper Ain't a Mind Reader

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »