Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Quantifying questions asked by members is counterproductive and impacts the quality of Kudoz
Thread poster: Jackie Doble
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hesitancy Oct 9, 2016

I think I understand what Jackie means:
Because the number of Kudoz questions asked is recorded in a translator's Proz profile (alongside those he/she has successfully answered), he/she might hesitate to ask too many questions for fear of being perceived as dim, unprofessional or lazy. The Kudoz glossaries might thus be the poorer because they are deprived of terminology questions which could have been helpful to others.
I have felt this hesitancy myself and now tend to seek solution
... See more
I think I understand what Jackie means:
Because the number of Kudoz questions asked is recorded in a translator's Proz profile (alongside those he/she has successfully answered), he/she might hesitate to ask too many questions for fear of being perceived as dim, unprofessional or lazy. The Kudoz glossaries might thus be the poorer because they are deprived of terminology questions which could have been helpful to others.
I have felt this hesitancy myself and now tend to seek solutions to mysterious terminology by various other means. Whether or not the absence of my potential questions lessens the value of the Kudoz glossaries I cannot tell.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
deleted Oct 9, 2016

deleted

[Edited at 2016-10-09 08:44 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I find the information useful Oct 9, 2016

If I see what seems to be an easy question, an obvious candidate for "Non Pro" with the answer either in the heads of most people or in the nearest dictionary, then I often look at the statistics of the asker. If this is a prolific asker, I'll move on. OTOH, if they don't ask often, and particularly if they answer too, I'll try to help. I'll also accept that perhaps there's a complication that I'm not aware of.

I think good clients could be put off by a poor ratio - but that's fine
... See more
If I see what seems to be an easy question, an obvious candidate for "Non Pro" with the answer either in the heads of most people or in the nearest dictionary, then I often look at the statistics of the asker. If this is a prolific asker, I'll move on. OTOH, if they don't ask often, and particularly if they answer too, I'll try to help. I'll also accept that perhaps there's a complication that I'm not aware of.

I think good clients could be put off by a poor ratio - but that's fine with me. I don't think Siegfried's leechers will be put off asking as many questions as they're allowed to.

And no, I don't think the intention of KudoZ is to cover every term.
Collapse

Jackie Doble
Jackie Doble
France
Local time: 04:57
Member (2011)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
That is exactly what I meant, Jenny Oct 9, 2016

Thank you Jenny for clarifying my post, which apparently wasn't clear.

I understand where you are all coming from, and I respect your point of views. I hadn't realised that Kudoz was primarily a profile enhancing tool. I find that a bit bizarre, but there you go.

But I just feel that Kudoz is a lesser tool for highlighting the number of questions asked. And this was the reason for my post, rather than because I wanted to ask more questions.
The upside of people
... See more
Thank you Jenny for clarifying my post, which apparently wasn't clear.

I understand where you are all coming from, and I respect your point of views. I hadn't realised that Kudoz was primarily a profile enhancing tool. I find that a bit bizarre, but there you go.

But I just feel that Kudoz is a lesser tool for highlighting the number of questions asked. And this was the reason for my post, rather than because I wanted to ask more questions.
The upside of people asking easy questions is that you get an easy 4 points, so more fool them. And of course, if you think its easy, you don't have to answer.

But clearly feelings are strong, so I won't rock the boat any further
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Kudoz activity can be hidden from profiles Oct 9, 2016

Kudoz activity (questions answered/questions asked) can be hidden from profiles at the click of a button, which should solve the problem! I just hid mine (temporarily) and it seems to work.

[Edited at 2016-10-09 16:15 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:57
German to Turkish
+ ...
definitely +1 Oct 9, 2016

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

The number of questions asked versus the number of questions answered is an excellent indicator to judge if a person is a leecher or a person contributing to the community. I am not at all interested to support leechers, i. e. I might stop answering questions completely if this information was removed.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I see Kudoz primarily as a way of consulting colleagues Oct 9, 2016

I have never been afraid to ask questions, even outside my normal working pairs, when for a time I did editing and proofreading for a non-profit Dutch-speaking client, and needed help with Dutch now and then.

In my working languages I have assumed that others might run into the same problems, and posted questions to draw contributions for the glossary. Although I normally search fairly thoroughly elsewhere, I do not worry about using KudoZ when pressed for time and not able to make
... See more
I have never been afraid to ask questions, even outside my normal working pairs, when for a time I did editing and proofreading for a non-profit Dutch-speaking client, and needed help with Dutch now and then.

In my working languages I have assumed that others might run into the same problems, and posted questions to draw contributions for the glossary. Although I normally search fairly thoroughly elsewhere, I do not worry about using KudoZ when pressed for time and not able to make a very long search. It has really saved me on several occasions late at night with an 8 am deadline, when someone across the globe has been awake and able to help...

Answering was a challenge, and I enjoyed it. I have also added terms to my personal glossary to make them available, if they have been difficult, but I have actually found them without resorting to Kudoz.

In fact it took me a while to discover that Kudoz was a way of boosting my position in the directories.

Apart from English, I work in languages that are not very widespread, and especially in the earlier years, the communities were quite small. I have blocked one or two askers, but in general there are very few abusers or leeches. So no, stating how many questions people have asked probably does not have any undesirable effect on the glossary in those pairs.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
But why did you want to hide your Kudoz activity from you profile? Oct 9, 2016

Ivana UK wrote:

Kudoz activity (questions answered/questions asked) can be hidden from profiles at the click of a button, which should solve the problem! I just hid mine (temporarily) and it seems to work.

Also, what did you mean by "it seems to work"? Does it mean you have received more potential clients' inquiries after you had hidden your Kudoz activity from you profile? If so, how come?

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Possible workaround for those hesitant to ask Kudoz questions Oct 9, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

Ivana UK wrote:

Also, what did you mean by "it seems to work"? Does it mean you have received more potential clients' inquiries after you had hidden your Kudoz activity from you profile? If so, how come?

A few people mentioned being hesitant to ask Kudoz questions as they are not keen on the number of questions asked showing up on their profiles. This is a possible workaround, as the questions answered/asked are concealed while directory ranking is unaffected.

I don't think Kudoz questions have much (if any) bearing on client contact as clients who contact me through Proz.com invariably find me through the directory. Showing or hiding Kudoz activity is neither here nor there.

[Edited at 2016-10-09 22:46 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
German to English
+ ...
In terms of customers Oct 10, 2016

Jumping to this part:
Jackie Doble wrote:
There are plenty of indicators on each person's profile to help suppliers assess the quality of the translator. Surely, we can remove the questions asked indicator to beef up the Kudos data base?

By "supplier" I assume you mean customers.
When I look for the services of a professional - say an accountant, dentist, consultant - I want to see what kind of education and training that person has in his field, and his experience. I would never think of using statistics on activities in an on-line forum to make my decision. Surely customers don't base themselves on such things when looking for a service provider (translator, interpreter, etc.).
My personal view is that a professional attitude includes double checking your knowledge and daring to ask stupid seeming questions to make sure, in order to end up with the best possible product. In my experience, it has been the most competent and experienced people who will say "I don't know." or "I'm not sure." while the novice may be the most self-assured. There are people who do actually know a lot and don't need to ask terminology questions for whatever reason, and they are also professional. But I would not write off someone as unprofessional due to mere statistics. If I wanted to judge at all (would I?) then I would look at what kind of question was asked, in what manner, and so forth.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Russian to English
+ ...
This is a non-problem Oct 10, 2016

I ask plenty of questions and don't think it "makes me look bad." I try to answer as many as I can, also to keep the number asked and the number answered somewhat balanced, out of fairness to those who are generous with their time and try to help me.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Question limits should be more stringent, not less so Oct 10, 2016

KudoZ was never intended (not primarily at least) as a glossary-building resource. It's prime function was for colleagues to help each other out with tough terms. I sincerely believe that if question limits were to be relaxed, certain site users would be even less inclined to use their own initiative than they are now.This would certainly lead to a greater number of entries, but a fall in quality (even more so than at present).

It IS true that KudoZ activity can be hidden fr
... See more
KudoZ was never intended (not primarily at least) as a glossary-building resource. It's prime function was for colleagues to help each other out with tough terms. I sincerely believe that if question limits were to be relaxed, certain site users would be even less inclined to use their own initiative than they are now.This would certainly lead to a greater number of entries, but a fall in quality (even more so than at present).

It IS true that KudoZ activity can be hidden from user profiles, but if you go to a question the asker has posted and hover over their name on the right, a pop-up window appears showing their KudoZ activity.
Collapse

Jackie Doble
Jackie Doble
France
Member (2011)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
My complaint is that I find that Kudoz is often a poor resource.... Oct 10, 2016

....and I have therefore assumed that people don't ask questions because they don't want to increase the number of questions in their profile
and that this is done to the detriment of it as a term resource. And I think that's a shame

That is all.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Kudoz is often a poor resource Oct 10, 2016

Jackie Doble wrote:

....and I have therefore assumed that people don't ask questions...

That is all.

I fully agree that Kudoz is often a poor resource. This is an old topic that has been discussed again and again over the years. A lot of people had good ideas how this could be improved. Unfortunately, ProZ did not implement them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quantifying questions asked by members is counterproductive and impacts the quality of Kudoz

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »