Aitziber Solano Iriarte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:16
Member (2014)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2015

Hello everyone,

I have received a request for a sworn translation that then needs to be legalised. So far, no problem. I have done sworn translations before and have them legalised too.

But in this case my client needs different copies of the translations (6 to be exact).

My doubt is whether to charge for the extra copies. I would obviously only need to do the translation once and even if all the copies need to be legalised, I could bring them all together
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have received a request for a sworn translation that then needs to be legalised. So far, no problem. I have done sworn translations before and have them legalised too.

But in this case my client needs different copies of the translations (6 to be exact).

My doubt is whether to charge for the extra copies. I would obviously only need to do the translation once and even if all the copies need to be legalised, I could bring them all together to the court and pick them up at the same time.

I know sometimes a percentage is charged for providing different copies of a translation, but it is the first time I receive such a request.

What do you think? Is an extra charge reasonable for these additional copies?

Thank you all for your help!

Aitziber Solano
www.aiba.be
Collapse

Solveigdc
Solveigdc  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
about a third of the normal price Dec 15, 2015

Hello,

I'm always charging additional copies of sworn translations. The first copy is free of charge. So I always give two copies. Then, for the others, I'm charging about a third of the normal price.
You have other costs: paper, etc. So, I think, that it's normal to charge an additional copy.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Depends Dec 15, 2015

It mostly boils down to: How much extra time does it take to provide the service?

I would not charge extra for a reasonable number of copies of typical sworn-translation documents, that can all be executed at the same time.

Now, obviously, for 10 copies of a 50-page document, the situation is quite different, because stamping/signing would then take some time. Also if customer comes back later and wants additional copies.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends Dec 15, 2015

I usually provide an extra copy free of charge. That said, I agree with Joakim - if you have several 20-page documents, preparing six copies will certainly take some time, so I would charge for half an hour - an hour extra for this service.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
German to English
+ ...
one arrangement Dec 15, 2015

This first came up in work I was doing for an agency, and when the client requested extra copies, the agency already had a formula in place that had been established with other translators. Essentially it came down to $x.00 per page. It's different in every country. For my own certified translations in Canada, each page gets printed, stamped, signed and dated. Copies of the original are also printed and stamped as proof that I have seen them, and translated those particular pages. This take... See more
This first came up in work I was doing for an agency, and when the client requested extra copies, the agency already had a formula in place that had been established with other translators. Essentially it came down to $x.00 per page. It's different in every country. For my own certified translations in Canada, each page gets printed, stamped, signed and dated. Copies of the original are also printed and stamped as proof that I have seen them, and translated those particular pages. This takes time, and we get paid for our time.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for additional copies of sworn and legalised translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »