Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Pricing a romance novel from Port. to Engl.
Thread poster: Jean-Louis Mondon
Jean-Louis Mondon
Jean-Louis Mondon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:39
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Gabriele, Muriel, Kevin and Michael Oct 8, 2014

Thank you for your helpful input.
Michael, I will certainly use your good comment on advising the prospective client on thinking along the lines you have described. She mentioned wanting to introduce it to the American public before publishing it in Brazil, which to me doesn´t make sense. Maybe I am missing some thing.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
English to German
That is what I thought! Oct 8, 2014

Jean-Louis Mondon wrote:

Thank you for your helpful input.
Michael, I will certainly use your good comment on advising the prospective client on thinking along the lines you have described. She mentioned wanting to introduce it to the American public before publishing it in Brazil, which to me doesn´t make sense. Maybe I am missing some thing.

If I had written a novel I would just go ahead and publish it, see how it is received, publish my own words, and then if that goes well I would consider translating it in other languages. But to translate it first, hm? I don't think my author's book is out either and he is translating it into English and German?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:39
German to English
Use my thoughts on price at own risk Oct 8, 2014

My thoughts on pricing are not based on any knowledge of the literary translation market, so take them with a grain (or a barrel) of salt.

I do know that, at least as a specialized translator, it is possible to earn normal rates (0.15 - 0.20 EUR from direct clients) for non-fiction books. Those rates are not common, but there are plenty of demanding clients out there willing to pay them.

Jean-Louis Mondon
Jean-Louis Mondon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:39
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gabriele and Michael Oct 10, 2014

Thanks again all of you for your valuable and helpful input.
Gabriele, I think the first time we wade in a pond, safety is of the first order. At least you did it. Next time, you will do better. I wish you good success.

Michael, I agree with you. I haven´t even viewed the doc. But I can get a feeling of where this is going. Even if I were interested or really hungry, I would take the job and price it accordingly. But such is not the case. I already contacted a colleague and
... See more
Thanks again all of you for your valuable and helpful input.
Gabriele, I think the first time we wade in a pond, safety is of the first order. At least you did it. Next time, you will do better. I wish you good success.

Michael, I agree with you. I haven´t even viewed the doc. But I can get a feeling of where this is going. Even if I were interested or really hungry, I would take the job and price it accordingly. But such is not the case. I already contacted a colleague and she settled to help me with the proofreading/revision with enough notice.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing a romance novel from Port. to Engl.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »