Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 18:47
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jan 21, 2017

Hello,

I have a localization project where I have to process xml file in Trados 2015. When I imported the file everything was messed up, xml tags were mixed with main contents, which made it almost impossible to translate without error. Is there a way to tell Trados to only import main contents, leaving out xml tags or leaving xml tags as Trados tags?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:47
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Transtools Jan 21, 2017

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

Hello,

I have a localization project where I have to process xml file in Trados 2015. When I imported the file everything was messed up, xml tags were mixed with main contents, which made it almost impossible to translate without error. Is there a way to tell Trados to only import main contents, leaving out xml tags or leaving xml tags as Trados tags?

Thank you.

Why don't you try Transtools to remove most of the tags?

Châu Nguyễn
Vietnam
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More instruction? Jan 21, 2017

eradicate wrote:

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.

Could you please provide more instruction? A screenshot with some highlight on what button to press would be useful. I understand if it is too time-consuming for you. I'm on tight deadline so learning by trial and error is not really an option for me at the moment.

Thank you.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:47
English to German
You may need to define a custom XML file type Jan 21, 2017

The default XML filter in Trados is only sufficient for files with a simple structure. For more complicated stuff, you may want to create a custom XML filter as described at length by Paul Filkin here:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:47
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just a thought Jan 21, 2017

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

eradicate wrote:

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.

Could you please provide more instruction? A screenshot with some highlight on what button to press would be useful. I understand if it is too time-consuming for you. I'm on tight deadline so learning by trial and error is not really an option for me at the moment.

Thank you.

Oh, Transtool is not built in TRADOS. I use it to remove tags in docx file.
It's just a thought. I don't even know if it works for xml file.
Or try to open it in another format such as html...

Châu Nguyễn
Vietnam
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly what I need! Jan 22, 2017

Endre Both wrote:

The default XML filter in Trados is only sufficient for files with a simple structure. For more complicated stuff, you may want to create a custom XML filter as described at length by Paul Filkin here:

Kudoz to you Endre Both.

I'm working on it now.

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly this... plus a few details Feb 22, 2017

Endre Both wrote:

Create your own filter. XML, unlike HTML, can support customized tags which will, of course, not be defined in any existing filter. So, go ahead, and tell your tool which tags are translatable and which ones are not, etc... to have your file parsed correctly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help processing xml files in Trados 2015

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »