John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
May 31, 2017

Something seems to have changed recently in the MemoQ behaviour of Shift+F3. It used to be "Toggle Case", meaning that when you hit Shift+F3 it would toggle between lower case, first letter cap and all caps. So a lower case word could be switched to first letter cap with one keyboard action.

Now it seems to have changed so that hitting Shift+F3 creates an autopick box with the three choices in it, and you have to either mouse click on the choice or use arrow+tab to select the choi
... See more
Something seems to have changed recently in the MemoQ behaviour of Shift+F3. It used to be "Toggle Case", meaning that when you hit Shift+F3 it would toggle between lower case, first letter cap and all caps. So a lower case word could be switched to first letter cap with one keyboard action.

Now it seems to have changed so that hitting Shift+F3 creates an autopick box with the three choices in it, and you have to either mouse click on the choice or use arrow+tab to select the choice. This can be time consuming and annoying.

Is this an intentional new behaviour or have I unwittingly changed some setting? I have not been able to find a setting for this behaviour.

[Edited at 2017-05-31 15:20 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:05
Danish to English
+ ...
Broken as designed May 31, 2017

It is what IT geeks call a 'feechur' (Wiktionary: "An undesirable or misimplemented feature (software capability)." or BAD (Broken As Designed) in version 8.

I and many others have complained about it in support tickets, but so far, they have stubbornly refused to fix it, just as they stubbornly refuse to fix many other bugs and problems in their software and documentation, so I don't intend to renew my paid support when it expires in June.

This awful new Shift+F3 imple
... See more
It is what IT geeks call a 'feechur' (Wiktionary: "An undesirable or misimplemented feature (software capability)." or BAD (Broken As Designed) in version 8.

I and many others have complained about it in support tickets, but so far, they have stubbornly refused to fix it, just as they stubbornly refuse to fix many other bugs and problems in their software and documentation, so I don't intend to renew my paid support when it expires in June.

This awful new Shift+F3 implementation slows down typing and is just a plain pain in the a**.

I'm staying on MemoQ 2015 as long as they keep this nonsense in place. It is just utterly hopeless, and it breaks with the behaviour in other software, for example Word and Memsource.

Has anyone found any interesting new functions in MemoQ 8 or 8.1? I haven't. It seems a total waste of space to me.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Solution May 31, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

This awful new Shift+F3 implementation slows down typing and is just a plain pain in the a**.

I'm staying on MemoQ 2015 as long as they keep this nonsense in place. It is just utterly hopeless, and it breaks with the behaviour in other software, for example Word and Memsource.

Has anyone found any interesting new functions in MemoQ 8 or 8.1? I haven't. It seems a total waste of space to me.

Thanks, that was a quick solution, but probably not what the developers intended - revert to MemoQ 2015.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:05
Member (2016)
English to German
Same here May 31, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I'm staying on MemoQ 2015 as long as they keep this nonsense in place.

I agree, and I have also not upgraded yet for this very reason. Ridiculous...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think I have one May 31, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Now, when you have an item in the translation results pane which has a different capitalisation than the one you need (e.g. an item that begins in uppercase when you need it in lowercase), you can type the first letter(s) and Predictive typing will grab the item and adapt to the capitalisation you need. I use this very much indeed and it is faster than having to double-click on an item (or pressing Ctrl+its number) and adapting manually.

As for Shift-F3, I am one of the people who complained about it. I dislike it profoundly and would like the decision reverted. Who came up with the absurd idea in the first place?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
A case of case May 31, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Now, when you have an item in the translation results pane which has a different capitalisation than the one you need (e.g. an item that begins in uppercase when you need it in lowercase), you can type the first letter(s) and Predictive typing will grab the item and adapt to the capitalisation you need. I use this very much indeed and it is faster than having to double-click on an item (or pressing Ctrl+its number) and adapting manually.

Aha. I had complained that it doesn't recognise a TB entry if the case doesn't match when you start typing, even when case sensitivity is no. They said they thought they had fixed it in version 8, but they haven't. But you say it works for translation results. They just haven't fixed it for TB entries.

Unfortunately the new Shift+F3 behaviour causes far more inconvenience than getting this tiny advantage is worth.

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
webinar May 31, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Who came up with the absurd idea in the first place?

It was first explained by one of the memoQ managers during the webinar memoQ Adriatic | Introduction to Translators | March 6, 2017 You can find him talking about the feature at minute 39 of the webinar: https://youtu.be/ZKbqm6Wx1U8?t=2341
He seemed to like it.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Partly fixed in 8.2. Partly. Oct 9, 2017

In 8.2 the left and right arrow keys no longer cycle around in the list. So far, so good.

Instead, using the left or right arrow key to continue typing cancels the change of case – not a very intelligent design choice. Why would anyone use Shift+F3 to change case, only to cancel it with an arrow key? Esc is there to cancel actions, and there is no need for arrow keys to do this.

All that is needed now is to get the left and right arrow keys to accept the
... See more
In 8.2 the left and right arrow keys no longer cycle around in the list. So far, so good.

Instead, using the left or right arrow key to continue typing cancels the change of case – not a very intelligent design choice. Why would anyone use Shift+F3 to change case, only to cancel it with an arrow key? Esc is there to cancel actions, and there is no need for arrow keys to do this.

All that is needed now is to get the left and right arrow keys to accept the current choice in the list, and it will be backward compatible, as well as compatible with MS Office and Memsource. This can't be very difficult.

This is a real nuisance. Could Kilgray finally fix this once and for all?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Fixing left/right not enough Oct 10, 2017

Fixing the left and right arrow keys wouldn’t be enough.

If I am reviewing, and just using Shift+F3 to fix the case in a word, then Ctrl+Enter to confirm the segment, then the case change will be confirmed in version 2015, but not in version 8/8.1/8.2.

Can we just get the old interface back as an option, possibly including ‘sentence case’? There was nothing wrong with the old interface. It was fast and efficient. What Kilgray has done in version 8 is monstrous.

gzevspero
gzevspero
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Email Kilgray support about this Dec 12, 2017

Hi all, I too have avoided upgrading because of this - I use the toggle case shortcut all the time, and this feature frustrates me dozens of times an hour whenever i try out a new version. To the point where I just revert back.
Just sent an email to Kilgray support asking that they add an option to change it back to the way it was - just a single keyboard shortcut to toggle case. I got a reply saying they'll consult management and consider changing back. If anyone else feels like emaili
... See more
Hi all, I too have avoided upgrading because of this - I use the toggle case shortcut all the time, and this feature frustrates me dozens of times an hour whenever i try out a new version. To the point where I just revert back.
Just sent an email to Kilgray support asking that they add an option to change it back to the way it was - just a single keyboard shortcut to toggle case. I got a reply saying they'll consult management and consider changing back. If anyone else feels like emailing them to try and bump up the priority of this issue - much obliged!
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
They refuse to listen Dec 12, 2017

I have given up, as they won't listen, and bought a Trados Studio licence instead of renewing my MemoQ support and update subscription. Studio's toggle function is not as good as MemoQ 2015's function, but apparently it's possible to install a small script to improve it.

As if to annoy MemoQ 2015 users further, they have not ensured that MemoQ 2015 is fully compatible with the server version 8.2, so you're flooded with error messages in segments with certain tags. How ironic that wh
... See more
I have given up, as they won't listen, and bought a Trados Studio licence instead of renewing my MemoQ support and update subscription. Studio's toggle function is not as good as MemoQ 2015's function, but apparently it's possible to install a small script to improve it.

As if to annoy MemoQ 2015 users further, they have not ensured that MemoQ 2015 is fully compatible with the server version 8.2, so you're flooded with error messages in segments with certain tags. How ironic that while they're flogging version 8.3 with "By improving our integration with content management systems and other third-party technology, we continue to create a more open and reliable translation environment," they fail to ensure backward compatibility between two successive versions of their own software.

It's a strange policy to seem to make every effort to annoy their users.

I'm not impressed.

[Edited at 2017-12-13 11:54 GMT]
Collapse

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
sad Dec 13, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
It's a strange policy to seem to make every effort to annoy their users.

I am stuck on memoQ 2015 for the very reasons you mention.

I translate into German, often using dictation software, which is not smart enough to properly distinguish between formal German addressing ("Sie", "Ihr", etc.) and third person pronouns ("sie", ihr", etc).
For me, it is absolutely vital to be able to click on a word and swiftly capitalize it with a shortcut, because I often have to do this numerous times per sentence. MemoQ's new method of doing this would just kill me.

And some of my clients have advised me not to upgrade to version 8.x because it's apparently incompatible with an older version server they are running.

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
unfortunate Dec 14, 2017

gzevspero wrote:
Just sent an email to Kilgray support asking that they add an option to change it back to the way it was - just a single keyboard shortcut to toggle case. I got a reply saying they'll consult management and consider changing back. If anyone else feels like emailing them to try and bump up the priority of this issue - much obliged!

I also sent an email and got this answer:

"Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, your requested feature is no longer available in our latest version of memoQ.
Sorry for the inconvenience."

Unfortunate, indeed...

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
This issue likely to be fixed May 18, 2018

I've heard on the grapevine that this controversial behaviour will be made optional in a version that might be released this summer, so that the original behaviour is restored for those who want it.

Hopefully I can finally upgrade from MemoQ 2015 then.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
What version? May 18, 2018

What version might be released this summer? A minor or major one? In the latter case, will it include an overhauled (and I mean it when I say 'overhauled') GUI? I can no longer bear this incoherent mix that memoQ has evolved into. Or will they just use their new 'Q' (which, by the way, one might argue that it contains a covert mention of '666').

(I finally upgraded to 8.4 after sticking with 2015 for long, but the experience was so frustrating that I no longer use it.)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ Shift+F3 behavoiur

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »