Lawyers in Ireland
Thread poster: Macià Planas
Macià Planas
Macià Planas
Local time: 08:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2017

An Irish translation agency owes me a "small" amount (slightly over 2,000 euros) which I have been trying to recover by the usual means (BlueBoard, e-mails and finally a certified letter which they received), unsuccessfully so far.

I am thinking of contacting a lawyer to see what my options are. I would like to send a European Payment Order but I assume I need a lawyer to fill it in for me (as I would like to include lawyer fees in the amount due).

I would like to know
... See more
An Irish translation agency owes me a "small" amount (slightly over 2,000 euros) which I have been trying to recover by the usual means (BlueBoard, e-mails and finally a certified letter which they received), unsuccessfully so far.

I am thinking of contacting a lawyer to see what my options are. I would like to send a European Payment Order but I assume I need a lawyer to fill it in for me (as I would like to include lawyer fees in the amount due).

I would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation with an Irish client and whether you can recommend me a lawyer. You can send it to me by private message.

Thank you very much
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:49
English to Russian
+ ...
I think their clients will be more than delighted to see the practice Mar 9, 2017

Macià Planas wrote:

I would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation with an Irish client and whether you can recommend me a lawyer. You can send it to me by private message.

Thank you very much

Contact their clients for that matter - for instance. Tell them the story (but first tell THE AGENCY that you are going to do this, that you have no other choice).

Or, find a lawyer there (on-line), pay him an hourly fee (20-30 EUR) and ask him to make a call or two to this agency quoting any info you may have, with a promise to take this issue before the corresponding bodies, etc.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
EU Payment Order Mar 9, 2017

Macià Planas wrote:
I would like to send a European Payment Order but I assume I need a lawyer to fill it in for me (as I would like to include lawyer fees in the amount due).

I don't know any Irish lawyers but you really don't need a lawyer for an EU Payment Order. In fact, they're designed not to need one. You just go through a series of screens and gather the relevant documents together. Of course, it isn't that easy, but there's a lot of help available online. I don't know if it's always the case but I had the choice of English plus the languages of the two countries involved. At the end, you can either submit the claim immediately, or you can first choose to create a PDF. Thankfully, you don't have to do it all in one go - everything is saved and retrievable even before the PDF stage.

What I did when, living in Spain and being owed money by a French agency, was to go through the process, but just save the PDF. Up until this point you're investing only your time - the small fee comes with the submission. I sent this PDF to my client, saying that it would be submitted on dd/mm/yy. Even though he'd ignored everything else, he took notice of that - he paid next day! I've heard that some companies ignore payment orders too but it does technically mean they're in contempt of court, which I imagine has some effect on their business dealings. I was just happy to have my money!

Edited to add that I of course don't know whether I filled it all in correctly as it didn't get submitted. But I found that most of the bits I didn't understand 100% (even in English) didn't really apply to me. Ours really is a very simple business transaction, whereas the claim caters for all sorts of third-party involvement, imports and exports, and and all sorts of other things.

[Edited at 2017-03-09 18:00 GMT]

françois G.
françois G.
Ireland
English to French
have you tried the phone Mar 9, 2017

The Irish are not used to have someone upset, telling them very directly "I'm angry and i'm gonna...".
So i would suggest you call on the phone, and give them some "latin love".

I can tell you, it worked with the agency that rent the house to me.
They ignored several mails.
But when i called them on the phone, i was quite upset (heating system not working in winter)... and miraculously they sent a plumber to fix it.
So it might work...
See more
The Irish are not used to have someone upset, telling them very directly "I'm angry and i'm gonna...".

But when i called them on the phone, i was quite upset (heating system not working in winter)... and miraculously they sent a plumber to fix it.
So it might work
Collapse

Macià Planas
Macià Planas
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already sent the PDF Mar 13, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I don't know any Irish lawyers but you really don't need a lawyer for an EU Payment Order. In fact, they're designed not to need one. You just go through a series of screens and gather the relevant documents together. Of course, it isn't that easy, but there's a lot of help available online. I don't know if it's always the case but I had the choice of English plus the languages of the two countries involved. At the end, you can either submit the claim immediately, or you can first choose to create a PDF. Thankfully, you don't have to do it all in one go - everything is saved and retrievable even before the PDF stage.

Thanks for your answer.
I have already sent them the PDF of my draft European Payment Order by certified post together with a letter explaining all my attempts to inform them of the outstanding payments and reminding them of the fees and interest rates established in Irish legislation in case of non-payment. And I know they received the letter as I have the acknowledge of receipt by the Post.

So right now my last step is to really file the European Payment Order. However, I am concerned about filing it and then them challenging it and me having to go to Court and find a lawyer to represent me. That would be complicated since I don't live in Ireland and I don't know if the lawyer fees would be included in the money they would have to pay me. I don't want to recover my 2,000 euros and then have to pay 3,000 to the lawyer. This is my concern right now.

Macià Planas
Macià Planas
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been there done that Mar 13, 2017

françois G. wrote:

So it might work

I called them once but they know the business very well and it's not possible to talk to the manager or to the Accounts department so I can only speak with the employees (translation managers), which know nothing and they always tell me they will contact me back by e-mail about it. This is why I decided to send a certified letter with acknowledgement of receipt, which the general manager has received. After that, I can only file the European Payment Order.

Macià Planas
Macià Planas
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure if that´s legal Mar 13, 2017

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:
Contact their clients for that matter - for instance. Tell them the story (but first tell THE AGENCY that you are going to do this, that you have no other choice).

Or, find a lawyer there (on-line), pay him an hourly fee (20-30 EUR) and ask him to make a call or two to this agency quoting any info you may have, with a promise to take this issue before the corresponding bodies, etc.

I'm not sure if that is legal in Ireland so I better not risk

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Bailiffs only, surely? Mar 14, 2017

Macià Planas wrote:
I have already sent them the PDF of my draft European Payment Order by certified post together with a letter explaining all my attempts to inform them of the outstanding payments and reminding them of the fees and interest rates established in Irish legislation in case of non-payment. And I know they received the letter as I have the acknowledge of receipt by the Post.

So right now my last step is to really file the European Payment Order. However, I am concerned about filing it and then them challenging it and me having to go to Court and find a lawyer to represent me. That would be complicated since I don't live in Ireland and I don't know if the lawyer fees would be included in the money they would have to pay me. I don't want to recover my 2,000 euros and then have to pay 3,000 to the lawyer. This is my concern right now.

Oh dear, it's a shame they ignored it . But unless they made claims at the time about poor quality, I don't see how they can possibly challenge it. You say you know they've received notification of the Payment Order and ignored it, so if they were going to say they never received any work from you, they should have done it then. Clearly they've accepted your work, found it suitable, and have most likely been paid themselves. So what right do they have to withhold payment from you? None!

I actually had the situation you fear with the French courts. I submitted a claim - which cost about €30 if I remember rightly. The client ignored the papers, which is apparently quite unusual in itself according to the bailiff. Anyway, I had a difficult decision to make. I decided to pay for the bailiff to present it a second time, taking the police with him. I think it cost €100-200. That time, my client wrote out a cheque on the spot. Not for the invoice amount of course. He had to pay his part of the court expenses too. And my payment included the fee for the bailiff and the police, my other expenses (apart from a bit of photocopying and stamps), and interest for the whole period.

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Local time: 09:49
Spanish to English
I used to live in Ireland... Mar 14, 2017

.. and when I didn't get paid I just told the offending company that I'd see what I price I could get for their document online. They couriered me a cheque within 24 hours. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to threaten to contact their client. They aren't fulfilling heir end of the contract.

An Irish lawyer will cost you in excess of the
... See more
.. and when I didn't get paid I just told the offending company that I'd see what I price I could get for their document online. They couriered me a cheque within 24 hours. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to threaten to contact their client. They aren't fulfilling heir end of the contract.

An Irish lawyer will cost you in excess of the money to recover. I'd suggested contacting http://translatorsassociation.ie/ best by phone and just get some advice about how to deal with on the ground there.

If none of that works, fly to Dublin, go to the bus station, hook up with some friendly inner-city Dublin guys and tell them you'll pay them a 25% fee for doing some 'cultural interpreting' on your behalf.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fees Mar 14, 2017

Your right to get paid for the job you delivered has too a value. Fear nothing, if they challenge your payment order and bring the case to a court, I don’t see how they can they win. Just make sure you include all legal fees and other relevant expenses, plus interest in your claim/counterclaim. They will end up paying everything and you will lose nothing. Bear in mind that you have to include those fees and expenses in your claim/counterclaim. Judges cannot give you something you never asked f... See more
Your right to get paid for the job you delivered has too a value. Fear nothing, if they challenge your payment order and bring the case to a court, I don’t see how they can they win. Just make sure you include all legal fees and other relevant expenses, plus interest in your claim/counterclaim. They will end up paying everything and you will lose nothing. Bear in mind that you have to include those fees and expenses in your claim/counterclaim. Judges cannot give you something you never asked for (in civil jurisdiction).

Check, however, if they are still trading in the first place.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lawyers in Ireland

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »