Thread poster: Teun
Teun
Teun
Netherlands
Local time: 20:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 8, 2016

Hi everyone. I used OmegaT (3.6.0_1) to translate a large docx file. The file has a few pages that should not be translated, but many phrases on these pages that shouldn't be touched are translated automatically because there are identical segments on the other pages.

Does anyone know a way to temporarily disable the automatic filling in of identical segments across the project so that i can fix this from within OmegaT? I just want to be able to undo a few translated segments withou
... See more
Hi everyone. I used OmegaT (3.6.0_1) to translate a large docx file. The file has a few pages that should not be translated, but many phrases on these pages that shouldn't be touched are translated automatically because there are identical segments on the other pages.

Does anyone know a way to temporarily disable the automatic filling in of identical segments across the project so that i can fix this from within OmegaT? I just want to be able to undo a few translated segments without affecting the rest of the translations in the document.

I have been trying but could not figure it out myself. If someone has an answer this would really help me out!

Thanks and warm regards, teun
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Multiple translations pane? Aug 8, 2016

I'm not sure, but look in the Manual at section 2.5, Multiple translations pane.
If that doesn't help you, post a query to the Yahoo group, which has more traffic than this one. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Options... Aug 8, 2016

Teun wrote:
OmegaT 3.6.0_1
Does anyone know a way to temporarily disable the automatic filling in of identical segments across the project so that i can fix this from within OmegaT?

First, zip your entire project so that you have a backup (-:

You can't "temporarily" disable auto-propagation. But if you've already translated everything that you want to translate, then you can turn off auto-propagation for the project (Ctrl+E) and then go to the segments that you want to revert, and revert them individually using Shift+Ctrl+R.

Do not enable auto-propagation again afterwards, otherwise OmegaT will attempt to auto-propagate some of those translations again. Enabling auto-propagation after it had been disabled will do funny things, but it's safe to disable auto-propagation in a project after it had been enabled previously.

I'm not sure if disabling auto-propagation is available in version 3.6.0.1 (the changes.txt file does not mention the feature, so I can't tell when it was introduced).

[Edited at 2016-08-08 17:13 GMT]

Teun
Teun
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 8, 2016

I followed your suggestions step by step Samuel and this is exactly what I was looking for. It is available in my version too. I really appreciate the clear explanation with warnings!

The yahoo group also seems very useful Susan, thanks for pointing me there.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It has always been there Aug 8, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not sure if disabling auto-propagation is available in version 3.6.0.1 (the changes.txt file does not mention the feature, so I can't tell when it was introduced).

Disabling auto-propagation is not mentioned in changes.txt because it has been there since multiple translations were introduced in 2.5.0.

2.5.0 vs. 2.3.0 update 2

Implemented requests:

- Multiple translation support
https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/feature-requests/440/

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Prevent automatic filling in of translations of identical segments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »