Alessandra Armenise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:44
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 27, 2016

Hi there,

Is it possible to translate an excel document in OmegaT turning it into a bilingual document?
I would like to be able to export having 2 columns and not the target language column replacing the source one.

Also, it would be amazing if someone had a solution for the lines mix-up old problem.

Thanks and happy festive season!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Russian to English
+ ...
two columns Dec 27, 2016

What I do is to copy the column with the source text into a Word file, translate it, and then paste it back into the Excel file, in the second column.

I don't know what you mean by the "lines mix-up old problem."

Tom in London

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 09:44
German to English
+ ...
yup Dec 27, 2016

As wendy said, but without the word document: I save a second copy of the source elsewhere, translate it with omegat, open up the translated document, select the translated column, and paste it into my spare source copy. boom, done. have not experienced a lines mix-up problem.

Alessandra Armenise
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, but... Dec 27, 2016

Hello guys, thank you for your help!

I do use the workaround explained by Mairaw, I just wanted to know if there was a method to make OmegaT do all this, producing a bilingual document like the sdlxliff ones.

As for the mix-up, unfortunately, I'm not able to find the relevant thread at the moment, but there is a common problem importing excel files: some rows get mixed up in CAT tools and the segments don't appear in the correct order.

Thanks!

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
The random order is a known issue Dec 27, 2016

Alessandra Armenise wrote:
As for the mix-up, unfortunately, I'm not able to find the relevant thread at the moment, but there is a common problem importing excel files: some rows get mixed up in CAT tools and the segments don't appear in the correct order.

It's a known issue in OmegaT:
https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/bugs/288/

If your document, doesn't include macros, etc., there is a simple workaround: from Excel, save as XML Spreadsheet 2003.

Didier

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:44
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Dec 28, 2016

Alessandra Armenise wrote:
…OmegaT do all this, producing a bilingual document like the sdlxliff ones.

OmegaT produces TMX files that are bilingual documents and can be converted to spreadsheet files if necessary. It can’t, however, produce Excel files of the kind that you want because OmegaT generally can’t change source document structures, it only replaces translatable source texts with respective translations.

Alessandra Armenise
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works (random order issue) Dec 29, 2016

If your document, doesn't include macros, etc., there is a simple workaround: from Excel, save as XML Spreadsheet 2003.

Thanks a million!

Alessandra Armenise
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Dec 29, 2016

esperantisto wrote:
It can’t, however, produce Excel files of the kind that you want because OmegaT generally can’t change source document structures, it only replaces translatable source texts with respective translations.

Thanks! So the only solution would be to create a bilingual document from excel before importing it to OmegaT I guess. i don't know if it is possible. Probably it is easier to keep working around though.

Thanks everybody

Sona Ozorakova
Sona Ozorakova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2020)
English to Slovak
How to translate an excel document keeping the source language column May 21, 2020

Hi there, I had the same problem translating excel. The target appeared in the source text. So I went back to my original excel file, unmerged the cells and voilà...CAT knew where to put it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/merge-and-unmerge-cells-5cbd15d5-9375-4540-907f-c673a93fcedf

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Not translated column set up with zero width Jun 8, 2020

I had two columns in English (or IT and EN; PT and EN). I translated one column in EN,IT and PT.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-06/03/cs/00.html

Delores přeložená pomocí eTranslation = Delores translated using eTranslation

Překlad XLSX službou eTranslation = XLSX translation by eTranslation service

01 Delores: A Thimbleweed Park M
... See more
I had two columns in English (or IT and EN; PT and EN). I translated one column in EN,IT and PT.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-06/03/cs/00.html

Delores přeložená pomocí eTranslation = Delores translated using eTranslation

Překlad XLSX službou eTranslation = XLSX translation by eTranslation service

01 Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure Gameplay

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-06/03/cs/02.html

After translating of XLSX, I returned the untranslated columns to their original width.

Milan
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to translate an excel document keeping the source language column

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »