Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you believe a non native speaker should proofread your translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No! Jul 12, 2018

... and yet that happens so often, destroying your beautiful translation and correcting unnecessary things.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I agree Jul 12, 2018

Sheila Wilson wrote:

However, it would be totally unsuitable for my own translations, as I work exclusively in the areas of marketing, promotion and journalism.

When I need to translate marketing and promotional materials for small business owners here, in Australia, I always get a native speaker of Australian English to edit them. Actually, since I often deal with transcreation rather than translation, I do not even need the reviewer to speak Russian but it is essential to have a native Australian English speaker when it comes to editing of the marketing and promotional brochures because of these subtle differences in cultures.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:39
English to French
It happened once Jul 12, 2018

One of my end customers, in the US, knew a person teaching French at the university, and thought it was a good idea to have this person proofread my translation into French... I ended up losing a lot of time explaining, one by one, why each of the edits was grammatically incorrect.

Angus Stewart

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
German to English
+ ...
someone with sufficient expertise should do so Jul 13, 2018

For years I've been reading about a "criterion" of being a native speaker. There are native speakers who have a terrible grasp of their native language. They are also not trained translators. If someone who is not a native speaker has the ability and judgment, why not? It is likely, however, that they don't.

Otoh, what are they checking? Sometimes I have end clients who are doctors, engineers in a specialized field, etc., who have worked in both languages in that field. They a
... See more
For years I've been reading about a "criterion" of being a native speaker. There are native speakers who have a terrible grasp of their native language. They are also not trained translators. If someone who is not a native speaker has the ability and judgment, why not? It is likely, however, that they don't.

Otoh, what are they checking? Sometimes I have end clients who are doctors, engineers in a specialized field, etc., who have worked in both languages in that field. They are able to give me feedback at the specialization end. It is a limited kind of "proofreading".
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:39
French to English
Yes sometimes Jul 13, 2018

When I worked in-house, the person who proofread my translations was usually the one who translated from English into French. However, they didn't have the last word. They would proofread then hand the file back to me. Ideally we would go over it together and discuss any points they felt needed a change.

They would often have interesting solutions, in that they had regular contact with English as a source language. The expressions and idioms that they had trouble grappling with wer
... See more
When I worked in-house, the person who proofread my translations was usually the one who translated from English into French. However, they didn't have the last word. They would proofread then hand the file back to me. Ideally we would go over it together and discuss any points they felt needed a change.

They would often have interesting solutions, in that they had regular contact with English as a source language. The expressions and idioms that they had trouble grappling with were precisely what they then suggested for me. I believe that our discussions were very helpful to both of us as translators.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you believe a non native speaker should proofread your translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »