Adrián
Adrián
Spain
Local time: 11:27
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 3, 2008

Hi everyone. I'm really interested in localization/internationalization and I'd like to get info about interesting courses on that area. I have been looking for them but I have not found anything interesting. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Sushan Harshe
Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 15:57
English to Hindi
+ ...
It is not that difficult Dec 3, 2008

Hi,
Localization means bringing content (anything like Website, Software Interface, Instruments display and so on.) to your language from English. Internationalization means bringing your language content to English and English only.
When we use term “Localization” normally it means that we do not just get a .doc file and get it translated in to your language. It is much more than that. It needs a bit technical knowledge. You need to know the difference between UI text and tags,
... See more
Hi,
Localization means bringing content (anything like Website, Software Interface, Instruments display and so on.) to your language from English. Internationalization means bringing your language content to English and English only.
When we use term “Localization” normally it means that we do not just get a .doc file and get it translated in to your language. It is much more than that. It needs a bit technical knowledge. You need to know the difference between UI text and tags, there meaning (attributes). For this, you do not have to go through HTML and its successors. Just take first lesson of HTML tags, and develop yourself. Latter you will be easy, handling tags in MT's.
Collapse

Eric Le Carre
Eric Le Carre  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Link to freely available courses Dec 3, 2008

Hi,

try this link to the eCoLoTrain Web site. And last, but not least, the courses are available in 4 languages, including Spanish.

http://ecolotrain.uni-saarland.de/index.php?id=2525&L=3

Happy online learning!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:27
German to English
+ ...
Thank you for that link, Eric Dec 3, 2008

You or someone posted that somewhere else recently, and I forgot to thank you then. That's a very nice resource, but that university always did have good things going on with languages.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Denver University online localization course Dec 3, 2008

Denver University has scheduled a software and web page localization online course as part of its translation certificate program.

MODL 4737 - Localization/Software & Web
Credits: 4

This course provides students with a general overview of the field of web page translation and an introduction to software localization. Class topics range from technical discussions on computer architecture to tips for managing localization projects. Students gain a thorough understanding of the basic components of a localization project (web, software, online help, and documentation) and insight into the larger context of software/web localization and internationalization processes. Using real-life examples and hands-on exercises, students explore the cultural, technical, and organizational challenges in the adaptation of culturally sensitive elements.

You can get more information from the University College WebSite.

(Disclosure: I'm developing and will be teaching this course for DU, where I also teach other classes).

Andrea Cardoso

Eric Le Carre
Eric Le Carre  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I should say Thank you, Kevin Dec 4, 2008

Kevin,

actually, I found the link to these free localization learning resources on your blog! Therefore, thank you, Kevin.

Eric

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Coming full circle Dec 4, 2008

Eric Le Carre wrote:
actually, I found the link to these free localization learning resources on your blog! Therefore, thank you, Kevin.

How funny. Well, I found the link here somewhere!

Phil Bird
Phil Bird
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not cheap but.... Dec 4, 2008

There's a distance learning course from Imperial College London

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/cpd/courses/subject/other/localisation

I am a student on the MScTrans there and I would expect it to be a good course.

Camila de Castro
Camila de Castro  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
lost link May 13, 2016

I tried to access the link provided with no success... Does that mean it no longer exists? I'm also after a beginners e-learning course in localization. Any help is highly appreciated!

Annamaria Sondrio (X)
Annamaria Sondrio (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The Imperial College course May 14, 2016

is now organised by UCL:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/centras/professional-online-courses/online-course-localisation

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization course

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »