Thread poster: Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding whether it is correct to use "es-LA" to denote that the language is Spanish from Latin America in the front cover of a guide and also in the table of contents of a guide.

The actual translation is done by a linguist from Chile, and the guide itself contains information that applies to several countries in Latin America, and in addition it has sections specific to the Mexican and Colombian markets. So the final guide will be used
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding whether it is correct to use "es-LA" to denote that the language is Spanish from Latin America in the front cover of a guide and also in the table of contents of a guide.

The actual translation is done by a linguist from Chile, and the guide itself contains information that applies to several countries in Latin America, and in addition it has sections specific to the Mexican and Colombian markets. So the final guide will be used by several countries in Latin America, in addition to Mexico and Colombia, although only those 2 countries have country-specific information in it.

A proofreader has told me that I should change it to es-CL (ISo code for Spanish from Chile), but I am not sure that this is the best suggestion because the guide contains information for ALL Latin America.
Also, the proofreader has told me that es-LA is not a real iso code, and that therefoe we should not use it, because the LA abbreviation in the ISO countries is for LAOS.

The rest of the guides have codes such as FR (for French from France), fr-CA (French Canadian)

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Alexandra
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Why can't you just say... Oct 30, 2013

Español latinoamericano?

[Edited at 2013-10-30 22:07 GMT]

Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
using language codes in the rest Oct 30, 2013

Hi,

For all the other languages we are using a language code such as it, no, sv, da, etc
So we were just trying to keep a consistent look in all the guides.

Also, we have seen es-LA used to signify Spanish from Latin America (Although it is incorrect according to the proofreader...)

Thanks,

Alexandra

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:34
English to Spanish
es-XL Oct 31, 2013

There is no ISO code that you can use for this variant, but "es-XL" is the code used by Microsoft for Latin American Spanish and it does not collide with any code currently in use by ISO.

Hope it helps!

[Edited at 2013-10-31 02:14 GMT]

Antonio Escalante

agopaul
agopaul
Italy
Actually Mar 22, 2016

The correct RFC-4646 compliant language code is 'es-419' which refers to 'Spanish in Latin America and Caribbean regions'. You can use the 2-digit code for Spanish (es) plus the UN regional code (419)... See more
The correct RFC-4646 compliant language code is 'es-419' which refers to 'Spanish in Latin America and Caribbean regions'. You can use the 2-digit code for Spanish (es) plus the UN regional code (419).

Sources:
- https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4646.txt
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_code
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using es-LA on the front cover to denote Spanish from Latin America

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »