Reviewing and editing social media and marketing content
Thread poster: mary33
mary33
mary33
Italy
Jun 28, 2016

Hi everybody,

I have applied for a job which involve an average of 30-40 hours per week reviewing and editing social media and marketing content.
I have to provide:

Rates per Word count
Rate per hour
Productivity per hour

I my personal experience, the average number of words I can edit is about 1200 words. Since I do not know the quality of the transaltion what should I charge?

Thanks

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:29
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
They should just hire you Jun 28, 2016

30-40 hours of work per week for a prolonged period is too much to take on as a freelancer. They should just offer you a contract, with a trial period, of course. Give them your hourly rate as a freelancer and your average productivity, never a rate per word, that would be madness for a full-time job. They'll do the math and will conclude that hiring you will be cheaper.

Cheers,
Gerard

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Make sure you negotiate suitable conditions Jun 28, 2016

Working for that many hours a week is the equivalent of employment, but I am not sure I entirely agree with Gerard de Noord - it should not in my opinion be cheaper to employ you than to pay you as a freelancer. Your rates should cover tax, insurance, pension scheme and allowance for holiday and sick pay in any case, but make sure you include them in your quote or request for pay.

You will not have time to earn much - or anything - from other clients, so you cannot afford to give di
... See more
Working for that many hours a week is the equivalent of employment, but I am not sure I entirely agree with Gerard de Noord - it should not in my opinion be cheaper to employ you than to pay you as a freelancer. Your rates should cover tax, insurance, pension scheme and allowance for holiday and sick pay in any case, but make sure you include them in your quote or request for pay.

You will not have time to earn much - or anything - from other clients, so you cannot afford to give discounts for volume or any of the other bright ideas some clients come up with.

You need to agree on a living wage or salary as long as you are working with this client, and settle on terms with them about how you will terminate the employment when the time comes. How are you going to manage other clients, or find new ones if you drop them while you are busy full time? Give it some thought.

If you are 'only' working for this client for thirty hours some weeks, are you going to be allowed to work for other clients? Or will there be more than forty hours in other weeks, so you are in fact working full time on average? Agree what to do, even if you can't tell in advance exactly how much work there will be.

Think it through - it could be an advantage for both of you, but make sure it is a good offer for you!

Reviewing 1200 words an hour is probably a realistic average, but it depends a great deal on the quality of the text and how much editing you actually have to do.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Well... Jun 29, 2016

Gerard de Noord wrote:
...They'll do the math and will conclude that hiring you will be cheaper.

It depends on how the company does the math.
If freelance translators and companies alike knew that somebody on a payroll in a company costs the company twice as much as the amount taken home, there shouldn't be much difference.

Unfortunately, many freelance translators (and company employees) don't know that, in terms of buying power and contingency funds, charging 20 euros an hour results in earning the minimum wage as an unqualified employee in many European economies.

Philippe

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
This Jun 29, 2016

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Unfortunately, many freelance translators (and company employees) don't know that, in terms of buying power and contingency funds, charging 20 euros an hour results in earning the minimum wage as an unqualified employee in many European economies.

Indeed. If you look at the gross figures, you might think that's "ok", after all (e.g. 20x8x22=3520), but if you (as a freelancer) stop to think for a second and take into account everything else (taxes, intermittent workload, no benefits, no holidays, no career progression, no severance package, etc. etc.), you soon realize that's basically a pittance, on par, or even less than what an unskilled manual laborer would earn.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hidden employment Jun 29, 2016

Gerard de Noord wrote:

30-40 hours of work per week for a prolonged period is too much to take on as a freelancer. They should just offer you a contract, with a trial period, of course. Give them your hourly rate as a freelancer and your average productivity, never a rate per word, that would be madness for a full-time job. They'll do the math and will conclude that hiring you will be cheaper.

Cheers,
Gerard

It's illegal in many countries, e.g. France and Germany.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
The offer is indeed illegal in many countries Jun 30, 2016

The offer would indeed be illegal in many European countries. A company offering 30-40 hours of work per week should know very well that hiring one freelance translator to do all that work might be seen as a way to avoid hiring someone.

In broad terms (and as I see it) your gross income as an employee could be 2,000-3,000 euro per month and your monthly invoice as a freelancer could be 3,200-4,800 euro, based on a monthly throughput of 160,000 words.

Cheers,
Gerar
... See more
The offer would indeed be illegal in many European countries. A company offering 30-40 hours of work per week should know very well that hiring one freelance translator to do all that work might be seen as a way to avoid hiring someone.

In broad terms (and as I see it) your gross income as an employee could be 2,000-3,000 euro per month and your monthly invoice as a freelancer could be 3,200-4,800 euro, based on a monthly throughput of 160,000 words.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing and editing social media and marketing content

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »