Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Different, and not altogether an improvement (for desktop use) Jul 30, 2016

Evelio Clavel Rosales wrote:
Please post below and please let me know how it works and if you have any questions or comments...

Well, I suppose it was inevitable that ProZ.com's perfectly functional desktop web site would be replaced by a mobile web site that "also works" on desktop computers, as it has been a trend on the web for the last five years or so. Companies do not want to spend money on two web sites (a mobile one and a normal one), and it's easier to make a mobile web site "also work" on a desktop computer than the other way around.

The previous ProZ.com design looked neat, tidy and consistent. The new design uses too many different font sizes, removed helpful borders around categories of objects (also a trend in web design, part of the "let white space be your borders" idea), etc. I use Opera 32 (essentially Chromium) at roughly 950 pixels width.

On the "recent posts" page, the thin column borders were removed, and the last four columns no longer work as columns:

The additional menus that used to be to the right of the thread list is now at the bottom of the page (hey, this kinda reminds me of what the web looked like before HTML 3.2 gave us tables):

In the thread view, the information about posters (photo, name, etc) are no longer displayed to the left of their posts, but at the top of each post. This means that you can't see as much content on a single page (lots more scrolling) and you have to train your eyes to ignore the "extra content" (photo plus bio info) between each message in the conversation:

Samuel

[Edited at 2016-07-30 08:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-30 08:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-30 08:37 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My 2 cents Jul 31, 2016

I'm still hoping the yellowish background will be done away with. There could not be a worse colour for the eyes.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Further to my earlier post about the tracking box Aug 1, 2016

The tick box within the area to turn on tracking has now moved to the left-hand margin and is virtually invisible through it. But pressing on it doesn't toggle the setting. That has to be done by pressing somewhere in the centre. I'm not sure exactly where but trial and error - a literal 'stab in the dark' - works sooner or later.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 23:09
Can you provide a screenshot? Aug 1, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

The tick box within the area to turn on tracking has now moved to the left-hand margin and is virtually invisible through it. But pressing on it doesn't toggle the setting. That has to be done by pressing somewhere in the centre. I'm not sure exactly where but trial and error - a literal 'stab in the dark' - works sooner or later.

Hi Sheila,

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of this issue? Thanks!

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Er... no Aug 1, 2016

I have absolutely no idea how to take a screenshot from my phone.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Mobile device details Aug 1, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Could you provide details on what mobile device you are having the issue on then (i.e. Galaxy S5, iPhone 5, etc.)?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Here's a rather fuzzy picture Aug 2, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:

Could you provide details on what mobile device you are having the issue on then (i.e. Galaxy S5, iPhone 5, etc.)?

It's a Samsung Galaxy Young S6310 running on Android 4.1.2. Here's a rather fuzzy photo I took with a tab.
phone screenshot
I think it's clear enough for the purpose. By the way, I've found that I can press just about anywhere within the box to get the tick to toggle. It's just odd that it's appearing where it is.

[Edited at 2016-08-03 12:44 GMT]

..... (X)
..... (X)
@Sheila Aug 2, 2016

Thank you for the screenshot. That is helpful. Do you know what web browser you are using on that device (e.g. Android Browser, Chrome Mobile, UC Browser, etc.)? I'm not immediately able to replicate that issue.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
By the way, I've found that I can press just about anywhere within the box to get the tick to toggle.

Yes, the text "This topic (All Posts)" itself is clickable so you should be able to touch anywhere along the horizontal line of that checkbox to toggle the tick.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Android? Aug 2, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:
Do you know what web browser you are using on that device (e.g. Android Browser, Chrome Mobile, UC Browser, etc.)? I'm not immediately able to replicate that issue.

I'm using the phone's (Android?) browser. It's a picture of the globe. I just tried it using Firefox. That browser app doesn't work well (numerous glitches) but it did show the tick in its correct position. So I guess it's something at my end?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Samsung Aug 2, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm using the phone's (Android?) browser. It's a picture of the globe.

It is Samsung’s own browser (if I correctly understand the description).

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You may well be right Aug 3, 2016

esperantisto wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm using the phone's (Android?) browser. It's a picture of the globe.

It is Samsung’s own browser (if I correctly understand the description).

I don't know really as it doesn't say. But it was on the phone when I bought it, new.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Lost menu localization Aug 8, 2016

With the new forum look, localization strings of the main menu of Proz are lost. I upload two files here: proz_menu_main.png showing how the menu looks from the main page (they are in Belarusian, OK) and proz_menu_forum.png showing how the menu looks from this forum page (the strings are in English). Why does the main menu in forums not inherit localization strings from the main page?
proz_menu_main
proz_menu_forum

[Edited at 2016-08-08 08:08 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hah! I'd lost this thread. Aug 8, 2016

Now that it has come to my attention again, I'd like to report that my own problem with the track box has been resolved. It's still far too far down the page, but the tick is in the right place. Thanks, Kevin.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Localizing the new navigation header and footer Aug 9, 2016

@esperantisto - Thank you for pointing this out. We'll work on localizing the new navigation header and footer.

@Sheila - Yes, I made a change to fix the tick box. Glad to hear it worked on your device. Thanks for letting me know!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Optimizing the ProZ.com website for mobile devices

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »