Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Plus features: Announcing Blue Board “category ratings” (and more)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Current Points Dec 29, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I still don't understand why (as in the example I posted earlier) my Kudoz/Browniz are showing as not having increased since 2015.

Those are your current points, this is like the photo, you see your photo, points and so on updated at the present day, not that your entry in 2015 reflects your points in 2015.

I hope I was clear...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Dec 29, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
I still don't understand why (as in the example I posted earlier) my Kudoz/Browniz are showing as not having increased since 2015.

You misinterpret your own screenshot. The Blue Board entries always reflect the translator's current KudoZ/BrowniZ score, and not the score that the translator had at the time that he had made each entry. Go look at the other entries that you've made, including the ones that you made years ago -- they'll all say "7819 KudoZ points".

Here are two entries that I made for one client:

first grading

second grading

A similar thing happens with forum posts. If you change your profile picture today, then all of your forum posts since the beginning of time will be updated with your most recent picture. It's odd, but there you go.

[Edited at 2016-12-29 14:58 GMT]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good job, Proz Jan 1, 2017

Proz is making a real effort to improve the site. They have had great success in doing so over the years.

The rate issue seems to be eternal. Proz takes the correct stance on this. They shouldn't even try to get into the messy business of determining what fair rates are. Correctly, they believe that if you have accepted a rate, then it is just that: you have accepted it. It is unfair and misleading for a translator to accept a rate, then give the outsourcer a bad rating because tha
... See more
Proz is making a real effort to improve the site. They have had great success in doing so over the years.

The rate issue seems to be eternal. Proz takes the correct stance on this. They shouldn't even try to get into the messy business of determining what fair rates are. Correctly, they believe that if you have accepted a rate, then it is just that: you have accepted it. It is unfair and misleading for a translator to accept a rate, then give the outsourcer a bad rating because that accepted rate is not acceptable.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Points of view... Jan 2, 2017

Edward Potter wrote:

It is unfair and misleading for a translator to accept a rate, then give the outsourcer a bad rating because that accepted rate is not acceptable.

Not really... Firstly, someone could accept a "less than optimal" rate for a number of reasons, like, for instance, because the client pays on delivery, then rate them 5 for payment practices and 2 or 3 for rates. How would that be "unfair and misleading"?

Secondly, if the BB were to be rethinked (as is happening now...) someone could even rate an outsourcer for a proposed rate they didn't accept. IMO that wouldn't be "unfair and misleading" either. Actually quite the opposite, and probably even more truthful and unbiased.

PhilippID
PhilippID  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
German to English
+ ...
Feature bloat Dec 1, 2017

Overall, most of the "Plus" features just seem like typical feature bloat to me.

Having said that, the idea of being able to flagging bottom-feeder outsourcers for offering unreasonable rates, and being in a position to detect them from others' ratings, would actually save me a lot of time.

I don't mind your "free market of rates", this is all about transparency!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plus features: Announcing Blue Board “category ratings” (and more)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »