Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:54
English to Italian
Yes, but... Aug 5, 2017

Natalie wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
Since their contact details are fake, how are you supposed to contact them in order to... well, get scammed? O_o

To get scammed, you don't need anything else, besides an email address.

Of course. Apologies, I didn't make myself clear. What I actually meant is that, although you can't see their email address if they contact you through ProZ, you will necessarily see it when replying, noticing it's different from the one they mentioned in their message...

That, together with the fact the website itself doesn't exist, seems such a huge and evident red flag that I can't see how such a scam might work...

Cenk Başaran
Cenk Başaran
Türkiye
Local time: 16:54
Turkish to English
+ ...
A fake agency representative using the names and avatars of real people Dec 21, 2018

Recently we have encountered a similar scamming activity. The scammer uses free emails mimicking those of real agency representatives, making freelance translators work for free. To mimic the agency, the fake email account is as follows:
To mimic John Smith of Intercombase ([email protected]), the fake gmail account of [email protected] is used, with the same avatar used by John Smith in his email.

Manj

Celil Erdogan
Celil Erdogan
United States
Local time: 09:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
Scam: FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON Jul 2, 2019

In a manner similar to some other cases posted here, I have received the following email today. The sender offered to pay via check. After I have received the job document, I have replied and said I could only accept payment via ProZ Pay and did not receive any response.

"ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Kevin
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
... See more
In a manner similar to some other cases posted here, I have received the following email today. The sender offered to pay via check. After I have received the job document, I have replied and said I could only accept payment via ProZ Pay and did not receive any response.

"ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Kevin
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 68.235.38.50
Message type: Job-related

-----------

Hello,

Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Turkish? And are you free to handle it right now? Its a
community development
lecture On Organic Farming which i organize to support the
youth going into farming and animal production as a business
and i want it
translated/submitted before July 30th. Please respond back
if you can meet up with this deadline.

Best Regards"
Collapse

Patricia Ramos

Doraid Matani
Doraid Matani  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:54
Member (2015)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Scammer using the name of NovimedGroup Aug 21, 2019

Dear Collaborators,
Please note that recently a scammer was noticed to be using our identity trying to scam other entities.
Please contact us in case such a scam took place.
Our Domain is NOVIMEDGROUP.com
Any email that you receive from a different domain or any variation that looks similar but is not identical, doesn't belong to us!
Lately, the scammer used a domain named NovimdGroup.com!

In case you have any doubt, please contact us via this ema
... See more
Dear Collaborators,
Please note that recently a scammer was noticed to be using our identity trying to scam other entities.
Any email that you receive from a different domain or any variation that looks similar but is not identical, doesn't belong to us!

In case you have any doubt, please contact us via this email or our official website:
www.NovimedGroup.com

Thank you for your collaboration on this.
Kind regards,

--
Mark Tsipori
NovimedGroup
+44-02087980754
www.NovimedGroup.com
Collapse

Fei Ge
Fei Ge
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
+ ...
scam or no? Aug 22, 2019

Xuan-lee-capital.com. Seems legit, with website, but they have an unusual hiring process and too good to be true payment terms. They interviewed me through Skype, and it was immediately available, usually it takes time to set up the interview in the first place. Then the interviewer told me he had to input my answers into a program in Hong Kong and got back to me with the results in just 30 minutes. That was kind of weird for me, but does anyone have any experience with Xuan Lee capital?

Radwa AbdElaziz
Radwa AbdElaziz  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:54
Arabic to Hebrew
+ ...
NovimedGroup - scammer company Nov 5, 2019

Doraid Matani wrote:

Dear Collaborators,

In case you have any doubt, please contact us via this email or our official website:
www.NovimedGroup.com

Thank you for your collaboration on this.
Kind regards,

--
Mark Tsipori
NovimedGroup
+44-02087980754
www.NovimedGroup.com

I don't think so, because you're really a scammer company. Your company scammed me at 464 USD. I sent you and your company a lot of mails, to the same mail you contacted me with before, to know why the invoice hasn't paid till now without a reply.

Tina Wooden

Kamila Ołtarzewska
Kamila Ołtarzewska  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you Nov 8, 2019

I was asked for a cv today...

fujitakg
fujitakg
Local time: 03:54
English to Japanese
+ ...
New scam: PHARMA MATCH JOB OFFER -Translators/Interpreters Dec 21, 2019

Hi Friends,
I have just received a possible scam mail as follows.
So please be careful not to trust this one (the structure of the scam is similar to the fake Carl Zeiss case.

#########################################################
[email protected] [email protected] via g001.emailsrvr.com
1:58
... See more
Hi Friends,
I have just received a possible scam mail as follows.
So please be careful not to trust this one (the structure of the scam is similar to the fake Carl Zeiss case.

#########################################################
[email protected] [email protected] via g001.emailsrvr.com
1:58 PM (1 hour ago)
to kaynakamototx

Good Day!

The information below is a briefing about our company; the job and instructions to assist you to get aboard our work team. If truly you’re interested; read further and follow the instructions as stated below, IF NOT please ignore this message.

Vision:

We can always guarantee our relations the best possible match, both now and in the future. Anticipating the market requirements and developments, we select products from third parties, look for opportunities for added value products and offer our own continuously growing portfolio of pharmaceutical dossiers.

Using a strong and growing worldwide network, up-to-date product and market knowledge and a proactive approach, we successfully connect local needs and possibilities on the international market.

Your portfolio published on (American Translators Association(ATA)) has been reviewed by our HR Department at (PHARMA MATCH) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise. You've been assigned to Mr Alexander Connor (Hiring Coordinator) of PHARMA MATCH, he would be conducting an online interview with you

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

Provide English-Language Proficiency/Language Proficiency-English interpretation and translation services to the clients and staff of the Health Department for onsite and offsite activities. Assist Staff and clients in completing any paperwork and forms necessary for the reception of goods and services throughout the Health Department.

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

To contact him, set up a screen name with Gmail hangout www.hangouts.google.com and add up the Company Hiring Coordinator's hangouts on his Google ID ([email protected]) and instant message him for more you need to know and job details.

COMPANY: PHARMA MATCH
Interview Scheduled: Monday - Friday
Venue: Online Via Google Hangouts
Time : 8:00 AM EST - 6:00 PM EST
Training is Available
Hourly Rate: $40/Hour-$50/Hour
Training Rate: $18/Hour-$20/Hour
Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time, Freelancer.

Your verification code is (TRA_2211). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Yours Sincerely,
Joel Philips,
PHARMA MATCH.
www.pharmamatch.nl
###########################################
I
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad

Kolumbina Benčević Tomljanović
Kolumbina Benčević Tomljanović  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to English
+ ...
potential new scamer(s) using ProZ.com profile 2873617 Mar 1, 2020

Dear colleagues,
I thought I'd alert you to what might not be an isolated case of scam from a profile user: https://www.proz.com/profile/2873617 'bojanic1010g', who contacted me last week asking for my rates for alleged English-Croatian translation services. Because of the surname which sounds plausible in any of the South-Slavic languages, a similar profile might be used to contact translators
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I thought I'd alert you to what might not be an isolated case of scam from a profile user: https://www.proz.com/profile/2873617 'bojanic1010g', who contacted me last week asking for my rates for alleged English-Croatian translation services. Because of the surname which sounds plausible in any of the South-Slavic languages, a similar profile might be used to contact translators who are native speakers of those languages.
When you reply to the initial request, the sender switches to writing about his illness, the need to have his will translated and wishing to donate its proceeds to various charities through an 'administrator'. The message exchange did not stop even when I highlighted the fact that translation (and possibly certification) services were all that I provided. Instead, fairly implausible material for translation followed before I was asked if I was willing to help access funds invested, at which point, I asked the sender to cease all further communication and said that I would inform ProZ.com of the use of the profile for improper purposes.
To cut a long story short, no harm was done except that I wasted precious time corresponding that could have been used translating instead. So, beware of such impersonations using similar scenarios!

[Edited at 2020-03-01 07:38 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Report Mar 2, 2020

@Kolumbina Benčević Tomljanović:

This thread is about ID theft, which "your" scam has nothing to do with - it's just a variation of old & tired Nigerian scam.
In any case, you should report this profile to the Proz staff, there's some special section for this.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:54
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Bureau Works: looks like Scam Apr 24, 2020

Just met an agency called "Bureau Works" https://bureau.works/ and applied with a translation test on it's work platform. The process was automatic, and 10 minutes after I submitted the test, I received a message that I failed.

It looks like a scam, because you can't proofread a long test in 10 minutes, right after it's submitted.

[Edited at 2020-04-24 07:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-24 07:
... See more
Just met an agency called "Bureau Works" https://bureau.works/ and applied with a translation test on it's work platform. The process was automatic, and 10 minutes after I submitted the test, I received a message that I failed.

It looks like a scam, because you can't proofread a long test in 10 minutes, right after it's submitted.

[Edited at 2020-04-24 07:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-24 07:45 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Bureau Works = no scam AFAIK Apr 24, 2020

Hello Nikolay,

I can say with some certainty that Bureau Works (Brazil) is not a scam, in that I have passed the test, collaborated with them in the past and have been paid to the fullest (the basics, really!).

I have not collaborated in ages, though, and would not like to comment further on their general business practices… I don't know if their testing procedures have changed, since they are big fans of automation…

But they are no scam, from what I kn
... See more
Hello Nikolay,

I can say with some certainty that Bureau Works (Brazil) is not a scam, in that I have passed the test, collaborated with them in the past and have been paid to the fullest (the basics, really!).

I have not collaborated in ages, though, and would not like to comment further on their general business practices… I don't know if their testing procedures have changed, since they are big fans of automation…

But they are no scam, from what I know.

Best,

[Edited at 2020-04-24 08:14 GMT]
Collapse

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
English to German
Bureau Works is fine Apr 24, 2020

I agree with Jean: I worked with Bureau Works last year and had no issues with them. I did their test, passed (I got the confirmation after a few days, though, not 10 minutes), worked for them with no issue and they paid me, too.

Adieu

Gudrun Haus
Gudrun Haus  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
My CV has been scammed Jun 8, 2020

Dear all, as the title says, this is just to inform you that my CV has been scammed. My genuine email address has "T-" in it, referring to my own domain, NOT "T-Online" or some other free provider's name.

Dear site administrators, if this is not the right forum to post this info to, please advise where to post instead. Many thanks! And also, heartful thanks for all your hard work!!

Best regards,
Gudrun Haus

Miguel Wong
Miguel Wong
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beware of these scammers Aug 30, 2020

THESE EMAILS COPIES SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES... THE SCAMMER'S SUPPOSED NAME IS LAYAL ROS, FROM A FICTITIOUS COMPANY NAMED MAGIC TRANS COMPANY... IF YOU GET SIMILAR EMAILS, DENOUNCE THEM:

--Urgent Audio Transcription
Recibidos
Layal Ros
Adjuntos14:13 (hace 7 horas)
Dear Translator, I hope this email finds you well. Let me introduce myself, I’m Layal Ros , the translation vendor manager at MagicTrans Company. WE have an aud

Miguel
14:30 (hace
... See more
THESE EMAILS COPIES SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES... THE SCAMMER'S SUPPOSED NAME IS LAYAL ROS, FROM A FICTITIOUS COMPANY NAMED MAGIC TRANS COMPANY... IF YOU GET SIMILAR EMAILS, DENOUNCE THEM:

--Urgent Audio Transcription
Recibidos
Layal Ros
Adjuntos14:13 (hace 7 horas)
Dear Translator, I hope this email finds you well. Let me introduce myself, I’m Layal Ros , the translation vendor manager at MagicTrans Company. WE have an aud

Miguel
14:30 (hace 7 horas)
Yes I can do it

Miguel
14:31 (hace 7 horas)
I'll start doing it right now, Thanks Mr Layal Ros Best Regards Miguel Wong

Layal Ros
Adjuntos14:53 (hace 7 horas)
Thank you so much for accepting our project, i have shared the audio and you need to type in the word file, Interviewer: Interviewee: Kindly go ahead and please

Miguel
14:56 (hace 7 horas)
Ok, I will do it.

Layal Ros
14:57 (hace 7 horas)
Many thanks.Please proceed

Miguel
21:28 (hace 38 minutos)
para layal.ros

Dear Mr Layal

Thanks to God I am halfway to the audio's end, this one was a hard one, due to the accents, stutterings and bad connections between the characters, etc ... Just a consultation, As you may know, I am a professional Translator Interpreter with many years experience in the area. I want to know how much were you going to pay me for the job, and how? What way will you use it? I live in Peru, and want to know. My estimated lowest fee for this type of work is $300 USA. Since I don't know your company, I'd accept 50% of the payment in advance, before sending you the developed file, payment made by Western Union on my name. I'll be very grateful if you'd let me know, thanks a lot.

Regards

Miguel

Layal Ros
21:31 (hace 35 minutos)
para mí

Dear Miguel,
Thank you for your update.
Our rate is 20USD per hour via PayPal after 30days.
Please confirm if this works for you.

Miguel
21:39 (hace 28 minutos)
para layal.ros

Dear Mr Layal
The proposed rate you send me looks fine. But this is not an hourly rate job. This is a full audio transcription, and my fees for this job completion would be the lowest rate for you, $300 USA, being my first work made for you. I'd accept the 50% in advance by western union, before submitting it tomorrow to you. Let me know if this deal is fine for you please. Thanks again, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Miguel

OF COURSE, AFTER MY LAST EMAIL, THEY NEVER GOT BACK TO ME... BECAUSE THEY'RE SCUMBAGS DOING IT EVERYWHERE... DENOUNCE THEM, SILENCE IS NOT AN OPTION COLLEAGUES...THANKS... MIGUEL WONG
Collapse

Tina Wooden

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »