Is there a way to reverse the language pairs in a TM?
Thread poster: Vitals
Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:31
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Feb 10, 2015

Dear all,

My urgent question is whether it is possible to reverse the language pairs in a TM (_.sdltm)?

As a part of a huge project I was translating LT>EN, and now the same kind of material is to be translated EN>LT. How do I reverse the language pairs of the existing TM?

Would be grateful for your reply.

Sincerely,
Vitalijus

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:31
Italian to English
In memoriam
AnyTM Feb 10, 2015

Try this very useful free Studio plug-in.

HTH

G.
PS I'm assuming you are using Studio 2014.

[Edited at 2015-02-10 15:24 GMT]

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, it is Trados 2011 Feb 10, 2015

Dear Giles,

Thank you for your comment.

Unfortunately, I am still using Trados 2011.

Does it work for this version?

Sincerely,
Vitalijus

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
This should work Feb 10, 2015

Just export your TM in tmx format and reimport it into a new TM you have created with the reverse language pair.

BTW, 2014 is well worth the upgrade. It's faster, lighter (i.e. it doesn't create a complete suite of filters for every project!) and, crucially, SP2 no longer relies on Java.

Best,

Giles

Matheus Chaud

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 13, 2015

Dear Giles,

Thank you for your quick reply.

It worked for me!

Will consider 2014 as an option in the nearest future.

Sincerely,
Vitaly

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:31
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Uninstall Java Feb 13, 2015

Giles Watson wrote:
...and, crucially, SP2 no longer relies on Java.

You mentioned quite a few times here you aren't particularly happy with Java, Giles, so I take it you uninstalled it? I can't do that, I rely on Java. I drink it. And I even live there.

Salam dari Java,

Hans

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Coffee chat Feb 13, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:
...and, crucially, SP2 no longer relies on Java.

You mentioned quite a few times here you aren't particularly happy with Java, Giles, so I take it you uninstalled it? I can't do that, I rely on Java. I drink it. And I even live there.

Salam dari Java,

Hans

Hi Hans,

My beef wasn't so much with Java, which runs happily enough most of the time, as with the need to test each new Java update to see if it was going to screw up MultiTerm again.

I can get by without Java but not without MultiTerm!

G.

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the joke, Hans! Feb 13, 2015

Hey Hans,

Thanks for your joke about Java and the Java island where you live, as far as I understood. Did I get you right, (since you are translating into Indonesian)?

Have a nice day.

VS

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:31
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Okapi Olifant Feb 14, 2015

Olifant also allows you to do this.
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Rudolf Feb 14, 2015

Dear Rudolf,

Thank you for the resource, I did not know it existed. Downloaded it and will check it out when I have some time.

All the best,
VS

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Now, why would one need to reverse language pairs? Apr 21, 2017

This is/was actually a glitch of many “hyped” translation tools, namely, they weren't able to use the same TM for both directions. More specifically, if you had an English-French TM you weren't able to simply use it for French-English translations.
This is/was the developer's fault, because relational database management was always prepared for running quick searches in any field of a database (or more databases) by using small index files.
So, in a good CAT the translator must
... See more
This is/was actually a glitch of many “hyped” translation tools, namely, they weren't able to use the same TM for both directions. More specifically, if you had an English-French TM you weren't able to simply use it for French-English translations.
This is/was the developer's fault, because relational database management was always prepared for running quick searches in any field of a database (or more databases) by using small index files.
So, in a good CAT the translator must be able to use the same English-French TM for French-English translations as well, without any further action, everything (index file switching) must be done by the software in the background after you selected the specific language pair.
In addition, using an English-UK TM for English-US translations must not be an impediment. I know that Trados Studio 2011 wasn't able to handle this situation; maybe the latest releases were improved in this regard.
Collapse

Alex Lilo

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
English to Russian
+ ...
latest release Oct 1, 2020

Péter Tófalvi wrote:

maybe the latest releases...

Studio 2021 is out and this isn't an option yet. With AnyTM provider, they probably don't think it's needed.

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
English to Russian
+ ...
SDL Translation Memory Management Utility Oct 1, 2020

for most TMs you no longer have to worry about the reversal as there' the AnyTM plugin which is now part of Studio. but if you have a huge TM, the reversal may take time in Studio, so you might want to consider running the process in a separate instance of Studio (if you need to go on with your translation project) or use a utility like SDL Translation Memory Management Utility (the reverse index task).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to reverse the language pairs in a TM?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »