How much better is segment filtering in 2017?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 24, 2017

Hello

I see from the press releases that Trados 2017 has improved segment filtering, compared to Trados 2015. None of the other mentioned improvements are really relevant to me, but better segment filtering may be worth paying for. Can anyone please explain what are the actual improvements w.r.t. segment filtering?

Thanks
Samuel

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:36
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I use the content filter quite a bit Mar 24, 2017

Hi Samuel,

The Advanced Display Filter is probably the improvement that I make most use of. It allows you to filter segments based on Content (the first of 4 tabs in the filter that sits vertically on the right side and expands upon roll-over) rather than on other properties ("Filter Attributes", the 2nd tab, which matches the old filter) such as untranslated, auto-propagated etc. The other tabs are comments and document structure which I don't use (I have the comments plugin).
... See more
Hi Samuel,

The Advanced Display Filter is probably the improvement that I make most use of. It allows you to filter segments based on Content (the first of 4 tabs in the filter that sits vertically on the right side and expands upon roll-over) rather than on other properties ("Filter Attributes", the 2nd tab, which matches the old filter) such as untranslated, auto-propagated etc. The other tabs are comments and document structure which I don't use (I have the comments plugin).

I often use the filter instead of Find and Replace if I want to review the F&R rather than just run it. The typical scenario is that I either want to modify a translation for a recurring word, or I want to see it in multiple contexts. So I filter by source or target content for the word(s) and the editor will then only display those segments. This all functions reliably and instantly (no delays, no glitches). At that point you can translate or edit segments with those words in the editor like usual. Next clear the filter to go back to the full document.

I think the usefulness might depend a little on your translation style. Some people easily go through a document from beginning to end and then review everything (an approach I often envy). I am a bit more analytic and structural in my approach and I frequently change my mind about word choice.

This filter is a good replacement for the "search" function in the XBench plugin, and it works a little faster in Studio because you directly access the segments. I still always use XBench because I like its "database display."

The Fragment Matches and AutoSuggest run automatically (the filter is something you "use") and should not be underestimated though. I get an incredible amount of suggestions from my resources, including MT. I have not looked back at 2015 unless I am doing a side-task in Studio.

The only issue I see is that Studio17 is slower with the "Translation Results" (sometimes annoyingly so) and the tm's are 3x the original size. I think my PC is still at good capacity with 2T, 3.4 GHz and 16GB Ram running Windows10.

[Edited at 2017-03-24 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:36
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Advanced Display Filter Mar 24, 2017

As Lianne has mentioned, the Advanced Display Filter is the improvement mentioned as a new feature in Studio 2017. To see it in action and understand how it works compared to the standard filter (still present in Studio 2017), you can go to minute 11:30 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVfAHmCbjJ4

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much better is segment filtering in 2017?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »