MS Office 2010 language packs - not available?
Thread poster: Rachel Douglas
Rachel Douglas
Rachel Douglas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
Russian to English
May 9, 2017

I translate Ru > En and operate my computer in English, but sometimes need proofing and hyphenation capability in Russian. When I was running XP with MS Office 2003, I bought Office 2003 Proofing Tools on a CD. That worked fine. Now I have had to "upgrade" to Windows 10 and was sold Office 2010 on the basis that a one-time license purchase was cheaper than the annual "365" subscription for Office 2013, 2016, etc., and was advised that Office 2010 is fully supported by Microsoft and will be for y... See more
I translate Ru > En and operate my computer in English, but sometimes need proofing and hyphenation capability in Russian. When I was running XP with MS Office 2003, I bought Office 2003 Proofing Tools on a CD. That worked fine. Now I have had to "upgrade" to Windows 10 and was sold Office 2010 on the basis that a one-time license purchase was cheaper than the annual "365" subscription for Office 2013, 2016, etc., and was advised that Office 2010 is fully supported by Microsoft and will be for years to come. When I go to download Office 2010 Proofing Tools, however, all links lead me to an MS notice that Office 2010 language packs have been "discontinued" and I should get the "365" sub. And I can't find them for sale on a CD. Have others had and solved this problem?

I'm prepared to go and buy the 365 subscription, but am concerned at having read in this forum that Office 2016 may be incompatible with aspects of Wordfast Classic, particularly working from Excel or PowerPoint originals.

[Edited at 2017-05-09 03:42 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 14:43
English to German
Some advisors are non-advisors May 9, 2017

Rachel Douglas wrote:

I was running XP with MS Office 2003 (...) Now I have had to "upgrade" to Windows 10 (...) was advised that Office 2010 is fully supported by Microsoft and will be for years to come.

Actually, "fully supported for years to come" means "3.5 years non-fully supported". Never ever rely on people who want to sell you any computer, electronics, phone, tv etc stuff.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Microsoft%20Office%202010%20Service%20Pack%201

a one-time license purchase was cheaper than the annual "365" subscription for Office 2013, 2016, etc.

There are one-time licenses for Office 2016 ...

Why not use Office 2003 & 2016 in parallel? There are even possibilities to run your old Win XP PC inside of a virtual machine on your new Win 10 PC, including all the old software and its settings. It's a proven strategy to keep the predecessor's software for a year or later. Memory & disk space is cheap.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:43
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oh dear, ... Language Packs for Office 2010 discontinued :-( May 9, 2017

Rachel Douglas wrote:

I translate Ru > En and operate my computer in English, but sometimes need proofing and hyphenation capability in Russian. When I was running XP with MS Office 2003, I bought Office 2003 Proofing Tools on a CD. That worked fine. Now I have had to "upgrade" to Windows 10 and was sold Office 2010 on the basis that a one-time license purchase was cheaper than the annual "365" subscription for Office 2013, 2016, etc., and was advised that Office 2010 is fully supported by Microsoft and will be for years to come. When I go to download Office 2010 Proofing Tools, however, all links lead me to an MS notice that Office 2010 language packs have been "discontinued" and I should get the "365" sub. And I can't find them for sale on a CD. Have others had and solved this problem?

I'm prepared to go and buy the 365 subscription, but am concerned at having read in this forum that Office 2016 may be incompatible with aspects of Wordfast Classic, particularly working from Excel or PowerPoint originals.

I run Office 2010 myself, even though I own a licence for the new 365 version, because Office 2010 is the only MS Office suite that works properly with the new versions of Dragon Professional Individual: all other versions of MS office have a very annoying problem, where the screen flashes when you have Dragon in listening mode and are trying to dictate into an open Word document. It is particularly bad if there are any tables in your document. I work from Dutch into English, and so always install the language packs for both Dutch and English. However, the last time I installed Office 2010, I apparently forgot to download the Dutch language pack. Having read your post, I quickly went to see if the Dutch language pack for office 2010 was still available. And, indeed, as you mentioned, it is now gone!

As usual, when being forced to use newer versions of software that simply do not work, I will have to resort to looking into possibly illegal ways around the problem. That is, I will have to see if I can find the Dutch language pack for Office 2010 on torrent, etc. sites. I am fully willing to pay and continue paying for Office 365, but not if it doesn't work, and I can't dictate into Word documents anymore without having an epileptic fit from all the flashing.

If I do find the Dutch language pack for Office 2010, I will report back here, as I'm sure I'm not the only translator here who would like to have a copy of it saved on their computer for future use.

Language Packs for Office 2010 discontinued

Michael

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional Individual 15. Please excuse any typos]

[Edited at 2017-05-09 08:12 GMT]

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
Local time: 16:43
English to Russian
I have packs May 9, 2017

Hello, Rachel,
I have RU pack. Do you want me upload it somewhere? It is in ISO format, about 800 Mb.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PS: just located a safe copy of the Dutch Language Pack for Office 2010 online May 9, 2017

I won't tell you how here, as it involved a torrent, but let's just say that the Dutch Language Pack for Office 2010 is still safely stored online and available. If you can't rely on Microsoft, you have to rely on yourself.

Michael

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Kingsoft WPS might appeal to you May 9, 2017

If you'd really still rather be using MS Office 2003, you might like Kingsoft WPS Office 2013 (free). I still use Word 2000, from back in the days when you were allowed to use your own software on an infinite number of computers. It works in Windows 7 and 8 but not in Windows 10, which I now have on a tablet I don't often use. Kingsoft Office up to 2013 had a "Classic Interface" which is very like MS Office 2003, and it is compatible with Windows 10. Kingsoft Office is now mostly available in th... See more
If you'd really still rather be using MS Office 2003, you might like Kingsoft WPS Office 2013 (free). I still use Word 2000, from back in the days when you were allowed to use your own software on an infinite number of computers. It works in Windows 7 and 8 but not in Windows 10, which I now have on a tablet I don't often use. Kingsoft Office up to 2013 had a "Classic Interface" which is very like MS Office 2003, and it is compatible with Windows 10. Kingsoft Office is now mostly available in the 2016 version, but the 2013 one can still be found here:
http://filehippo.com/download_wps-office-2016-personal-edition/history/3/
It doesn't have language packs of its own but if you have one, it can be added. See:
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/support-for-windows-office/2865-how-to-add-new-dictionaries-to-kingsoft-office-for-spell-checking.html
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pig in an expensive poke May 9, 2017

Rachel Douglas wrote:

... am concerned at having read in this forum that Office 2016 may be incompatible with aspects of Wordfast Classic, particularly working from Excel or PowerPoint originals.

Quite right. WF Classic WILL NOT WORK with Excel and PPT in MS Office versions higher (more recent) than 2010. I was convinced to upgrade to the 2016 version by my tech guy, who doesn't know anything about CAT tools and compatibility.
The 2016 version of Office works fine for everything else, but when I want to work with Excel or PowerPoint using WFC, I have to set up a backup PC which I keep with W 2010 on it.

kokomoko
kokomoko
Austria
try this Jul 30, 2017

try: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Language-Accessory-Pack-for-Office-82ee1236-0f9a-45ee-9c72-05b026ee809f#ID0EAACAAA=2010

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Does anyone know the location of the language pack(s) of Office 2010? Jul 30, 2017

I just came across this thread. Alarmed (thank you, Rachel, for having brought up this issue!), I looked for the location of my language packs, as shortly I plan to buy a new laptop but couldn't find it. By no means if ever possible would I go for a 365 licence for MS Office. So I need to backup my language packs in order to be still able to use my Office version, if I only knew where to find them. I run Windows 8.1.

Every hint will be highly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I have Croatian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Spanish stashed away somewhere. Jul 30, 2017

I'll stick them online this evening and provide the links here (which I will then leave up for a bit).

Michael

Dutch is up @ http://beijer.uk/storage/Office-2010-Language-Packs-(various-languages)/Dutch/

[Edited at 2017-07-31 05:54 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pig in a poke Jul 31, 2017

Rachel Douglas wrote:

Correct. You will not be able to use WF Classic with MS Office 2016. I like WFC, So in consequence I have a backup PC loaded with MS office 2010 specifically for working on Excel and PowerPoint files and WFC. I'd rather do that than sign up to some lockstep scheme rolled out by Microsoft.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
Russian to English
+ ...
LibreOffice Jul 31, 2017

Hi Rachel,
I use LibreOffice to spellcheck documents in my source languages (or ABBYY Finereader, if it's something I'm extracting from a PDF). Works for me.

Susan

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Orfo Aug 1, 2017

Try Orfo. It is focused on Russian but supports other languages as well.

http://www.orfo.ru/default_en.aspx

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I seem to have misplaced mine Jun 9, 2021

I used to have them saved at:

https://beijer.uk/storage/Office-2010-Language-Packs-(various-languages)/Dutch/home

...but just noticed that I seem to have deleted them recently, whe
... See more
I used to have them saved at:

https://beijer.uk/storage/Office-2010-Language-Packs-(various-languages)/Dutch/home

...but just noticed that I seem to have deleted them recently, when moving to my new online archive @ https://beijer.uk/archives/

I did just find what appears to be the same ones, at e.g.:

https://www.technize.net/office-2010-language-packs/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office 2010 language packs - not available?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »