Skype number not working. Solutions or alternatives?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2017

I have a Skype number and have only just discovered that it's not working for incoming calls. The voicemail has also stopped working. A couple of colleagues are having the same problem. So far, I know it's affecting a PC on W10, a Mac and an iPhone so it's not specific to any particular device. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution or can anyone recommend an alternative to Skype? I don't see why I'm paying a subscription to a business with no customer service.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:01
German to Turkish
+ ...
WhatsApp ? Jul 27, 2017

Hi,
I am not a user of such services. However, on rare occasions, I contacted my clients successfully via WhatsApp.

Edited to add:

I don't know if you can make calls on a PC. I use the program on the web version on my PC but the calls took place on my mobile phone.

[Edited at 2017-07-27 12:26 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incoming calls Jul 27, 2017

I'm not looking for ways to call clients but an alternative to a Skype in number whereby you pay to have a "landline" number so people can ring you on your computer.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Skype deteriorating Jul 29, 2017

Skype has been consistently deteriorating since the very day Microsoft bought it over.

I use a double-boot system, my standard OS being Windows XP, much faster and more efficient than any other that came later. As some applications, particularly my bank's online banking app, demand Windows 10, I installed the option to load it from a SSD at boot time.

Skype has been working okay on both Windows XP/10, though its interface user-friendliness gets worse on every upgrade, e
... See more
Skype has been consistently deteriorating since the very day Microsoft bought it over.

I use a double-boot system, my standard OS being Windows XP, much faster and more efficient than any other that came later. As some applications, particularly my bank's online banking app, demand Windows 10, I installed the option to load it from a SSD at boot time.

Skype has been working okay on both Windows XP/10, though its interface user-friendliness gets worse on every upgrade, especially on Windows 10.

On the last few times I booted Windows 10, Skype asked me to authorize a MAJOR upgrade, which would greatly change my experience with it. I opted out of it, fearing what could Microsoft have botched up this time on what was flawlessly functional software, until the day they laid their hands on it.

Maybe you have found the answer on what happens after this MAJOR upgrade, said to be exclusive for Windows 10.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:01
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I can only confirm this Jul 29, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Now, Skype "hangs" several times a day or even for several hours in a row. (I still have Windows 8.1)

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A worldwide problem Jul 30, 2017

I rolled back to the previous version before the W10 one (which is infuriating and has no menus!) and it still didn't work. It's not working on a Mac either. I had a long chat and remote intervention from someone at Microsoft who tried a temporary fix but confirmed this is a worldwide issue and they're aware of it. Meanwhile, they've given me a refund on the current subscription. If anyone else is experiencing the same problem you can contact them for a refund and keep an eye on this page for an... See more
I rolled back to the previous version before the W10 one (which is infuriating and has no menus!) and it still didn't work. It's not working on a Mac either. I had a long chat and remote intervention from someone at Microsoft who tried a temporary fix but confirmed this is a worldwide issue and they're aware of it. Meanwhile, they've given me a refund on the current subscription. If anyone else is experiencing the same problem you can contact them for a refund and keep an eye on this page for an update that it's been fixed: https://heartbeat.skype.comCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype number not working. Solutions or alternatives?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »