Eng. Closed Caption Freelance Rates
Thread poster: seelybeely
seelybeely
seelybeely
United States
Local time: 12:54
Jun 19, 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm a closed captioner with a years experience, and I just purchased my own Swift-Create License for L21 - 608/708 Closed Captions in order to do freelance work remotely for the two captioning companies I used to work at across the country (US). I notice a lot of posts asking about a typical freelance subtitle rates, but couldn't find one specific to captioning so I thought I'd pose the question to you all about the following:

Generally speaking, the typ
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm a closed captioner with a years experience, and I just purchased my own Swift-Create License for L21 - 608/708 Closed Captions in order to do freelance work remotely for the two captioning companies I used to work at across the country (US). I notice a lot of posts asking about a typical freelance subtitle rates, but couldn't find one specific to captioning so I thought I'd pose the question to you all about the following:

Generally speaking, the types of videos I'd be doing caption work would be: films, scripted TV, reality TV, and documentaries. With that in mind, how much would you personally charge a company (both per video-minute AND hourly) to:
a) Originate English closed captions for those four genres. And how much for each of those?
b) Reformatting old, English closed caption files.
c) QC-ing English closed caption files.

If this has been answered already, feel free to link me to a different thread on this message board. But if I could get a direct response to these specific questions I'd be super grateful.

Have a great day!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eng. Closed Caption Freelance Rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »