Does an "Escritura de Poder" need official translation?
Thread poster: Kenny Barclay
Kenny Barclay
Kenny Barclay  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:09
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
Apr 8, 2016

Hello everyone,

I've been asked to translate an "escritura de poder" required by a notary in the UK.
What I´m not sure about is if this requires translation by a sworn translator and I want to make sure before quoting for the work.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks
Kenny

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:09
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Client's decision Apr 8, 2016

Kenny Barclay wrote:
I've been asked to translate an "escritura de poder" required by a notary in the UK.
What I´m not sure about is if this requires translation by a sworn translator and I want to make sure before quoting for the work.

It's your job to implement the instructions given by the client, i.e. translate plus maybe transcribe, subtitle, format, have proofread, get witnessed, spread with jam ()...

In cases like this it's always good to query the requirements to help avoid wasted time and money, so it would be a good idea to check before quoting or prepare two quotes. Not your job to decide though.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Knee jerk Apr 8, 2016

In Spain, people often/usually assume that this type of document, by its very nature, will require a "traductor jurado" or "official" translator, whether it is actually a legally stipulated requirement or not. I would usually try to find out if the entity requiring the deed/document stipulates that it must be "officially" translated and stamped/certified, etc.

Then again, I might just quote a "jurado" rate, then get a "jurado" colleague to stamp (or translate) it...
... See more
In Spain, people often/usually assume that this type of document, by its very nature, will require a "traductor jurado" or "official" translator, whether it is actually a legally stipulated requirement or not. I would usually try to find out if the entity requiring the deed/document stipulates that it must be "officially" translated and stamped/certified, etc.

Then again, I might just quote a "jurado" rate, then get a "jurado" colleague to stamp (or translate) it...

PS: If it's for the UK, you can probably just translate it yourself and issue a certificate of your own, stating that it is a faithful representation of the source text.

[Edited at 2016-04-08 09:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-08 09:12 GMT]

PS: Cheers Alvaro for explaining the situation better:-)

[Edited at 2016-04-09 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
ITI Apr 8, 2016

Copy/pasted from ITI website:

Many translation buyers believe that a professional translator has to be “certified” or “sworn” to do the job. However, in the common law system in the UK, we do not have the "sworn translator" concept that exists in civil law countries.
Even so, translations sometimes have to be "sworn" or certified for various purposes, such as when providing official translations for public authorities. In the UK, certifying or swearing has no bearing o
... See more
Copy/pasted from ITI website:

Many translation buyers believe that a professional translator has to be “certified” or “sworn” to do the job. However, in the common law system in the UK, we do not have the "sworn translator" concept that exists in civil law countries.
Even so, translations sometimes have to be "sworn" or certified for various purposes, such as when providing official translations for public authorities. In the UK, certifying or swearing has no bearing on the quality of a translation. It serves instead to identify the translator and his qualifications, so that he is accountable.
When a translation is sworn before a solicitor (or a notary in Scotland), the legal professional does not verify the quality of the translation but merely satisfies himself as to the translator's identity. Certification does, however, lend weight to a translation: if, for example, a document is willfully mistranslated or carelessly translated, the translator could be charged with contempt of court, perjury or negligence.

If the above is correct, a Spanish sworn translation may be as valid or invalid as a non-sworn translation.

If you'd want a power of attorney to be valid in the UK, you'd have to have it "apostillado": http://www.notariado.org/liferay/web/notariado/poderes-notariales
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does an "Escritura de Poder" need official translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »