Problema con cliente y CMS ¿quién debería encargarse de exportar los archivos para traducir?
Thread poster: Alessandra Pettinau
Alessandra Pettinau
Alessandra Pettinau  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:40
Member (2019)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2016

Hola a todos,

estoy localizando un sitio web al italiano y el cliente me ha entregado parte de los materiales en archivos .resx, mientras que la otra parte de la traducción quiere que la haga directamente yo en el CMS, que me parece muy bien.
El problema es que no teniendo los archivos del CMS no puedo saber cuantas son las palabras a traducir y entonces estimar un tiempo de entrega (aunque el cliente quiere que entregue la traducción el día 9 de diciembre). Yo exportaría
... See more
Hola a todos,

estoy localizando un sitio web al italiano y el cliente me ha entregado parte de los materiales en archivos .resx, mientras que la otra parte de la traducción quiere que la haga directamente yo en el CMS, que me parece muy bien.
El problema es que no teniendo los archivos del CMS no puedo saber cuantas son las palabras a traducir y entonces estimar un tiempo de entrega (aunque el cliente quiere que entregue la traducción el día 9 de diciembre). Yo exportaría los archivos el CMS(son muchísimos, y esta tarea me llevaría mucho tiempo) uno a la vez, al necesitarlos para traducir, mientras, para hacer la cuenta de las palabras el cliente me "obliga" a exportarlos todos de una vez.

Mi pregunta es: ¿quién debería encargarse de exportar los archivos para traducir? El cliente o tengo que buscarme la vida?

¡Muchas gracias!

un saludo
Alessandra
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 14:40
English to German
There is no "has to" Nov 25, 2016

Hi Alessandra,

there is no fixed rule for this in the localization world. Usually, the client sends you all the files to translate, but as everywhere, sometimes there are exceptions. So I suggest you try negotiating it with the client.

You could ask if your client already has the necessary files all nicely in one place, and would only need to send them to you to save you a lot of work.

On the other hand, if the client would also have to export the files o
... See more
Hi Alessandra,

there is no fixed rule for this in the localization world. Usually, the client sends you all the files to translate, but as everywhere, sometimes there are exceptions. So I suggest you try negotiating it with the client.

You could ask if your client already has the necessary files all nicely in one place, and would only need to send them to you to save you a lot of work.

On the other hand, if the client would also have to export the files one by one just like yourself, you could tell them you need to bill the time you spend doing this - because, as they can see for themselves, this does take time.

It's also possible that the client could get the files far more easily than you can due to different software functionality or access rights (admin / project manager privileges or so), but doesn't know how. Is there any explanation in the manual for the CMS?

I've seen so much craziness over the last years where clients wanted me to do tedious unnecessary (and unpaid) extra work because they didn't have their own workflows in order, that I try to explain nicely, then try to explain in a slightly sharper tone, and if all else fails, I complete that project and refuse any further projects from the client. I feel too valuable to do work manually that someone else could do automatically but doesn't.

HTH,
Ricki
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problema con cliente y CMS ¿quién debería encargarse de exportar los archivos para traducir?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »