Tradophenia (X)
Tradophenia (X)
Spain
Local time: 12:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2015

Hi all,

We're a small translation agency, but we're growing fairly quickly and acquiring new clients on a weekly basis. This has meant project management and day-to-day accounting is becoming increasingly complex and tedious.

We've been trying out Gespoint and Quahill and we'd like to also try out Translation Projex and Plunet before deciding. We've been looking at Projetex and there seems to be far too many options for us (things we wouldn't need).

My q
... See more
Hi all,

We're a small translation agency, but we're growing fairly quickly and acquiring new clients on a weekly basis. This has meant project management and day-to-day accounting is becoming increasingly complex and tedious.

We've been trying out Gespoint and Quahill and we'd like to also try out Translation Projex and Plunet before deciding. We've been looking at Projetex and there seems to be far too many options for us (things we wouldn't need).

My questions were whether anybody has tried these and could offer the pros and cons of each. There seems to be far too much sales junk on these forums with sales people from each company talking about how wonderful their software is, which is why I stress cons as well.

We'd particularly like a function which alerts us when translator invoices + client invoices are due to be received/paid.

Thanks once again and please, no sales people, only proper user experiences!

Nick

[Edited at 2015-08-10 16:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-10 16:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-10 16:38 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Have your translators in mind Aug 10, 2015

Dear Nick,

Whatever you do, have your translators in mind. By forcing your translators to log in to your user friendly vendor portal where they can manage their profiles, projects and invoices online etc. etc. (how often have I heard this, sigh), you may well be able to streamline your processes and save time, but at the same time, you risk alienating your top translators.

If you can save time and money by using specific software, I'm all for it. But don't
... See more
Dear Nick,

Whatever you do, have your translators in mind. By forcing your translators to log in to your user friendly vendor portal where they can manage their profiles, projects and invoices online etc. etc. (how often have I heard this, sigh), you may well be able to streamline your processes and save time, but at the same time, you risk alienating your top translators.

If you can save time and money by using specific software, I'm all for it. But don't do it at your translators' expense.

Just my 2 cents.
Collapse

Tradophenia (X)
Tradophenia (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Invoices Aug 10, 2015

Thanks for your input Erik, much appreciated.

John Moran
John Moran  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:33
German to English
+ ...
XTRF Aug 11, 2015

We use XTRF.

It is quite complex and requires time to learn but it does what it says on the tin. We haven't had any performance issues or bug problems.

One downside is that there is no public user forum. I don't know if that is because the company wants you to use its training services or because they simply haven't gotten around to it yet.

The upside of the complexity is that it can be used on a wide variety of projects and it can probably grow with your
... See more
We use XTRF.

It is quite complex and requires time to learn but it does what it says on the tin. We haven't had any performance issues or bug problems.

One downside is that there is no public user forum. I don't know if that is because the company wants you to use its training services or because they simply haven't gotten around to it yet.

The upside of the complexity is that it can be used on a wide variety of projects and it can probably grow with your business.

We haven't used other systems so I can't give you any feedback there.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Just now... Aug 12, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/289484-all_those_invoicing_schemes.html

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Agree with Erik Aug 12, 2015

I'd totally agree with Erik. I refuse to register on vendor portals nor do I my invoices on the software of agencies. This is too time taking for translators and will put translators off who have enough work.

Concerning invoices, I'd go for a software which is not specific to the language industry. There are several programms which can do what you expect them to once you have entered the invoices manually yourself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Management / Accounting Software - real user experiences please

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »