Practical questions about posting a web site translation job
Thread poster: zoodal
zoodal
zoodal
Australia
Local time: 03:41
Mar 15, 2017

Hello,

I am a software developer that has a website ready for translation.

The website will make resumes and cover letters for users.

I have a .po file with a word count of 26,578 words.

I am wanting to translate the website from English (US) to French (France), German (Germany), Italian (Italy) and Spanish (Spain).

This is the first time I am translating a website, so I am rather unsure about the procedure. I have read a lot abou
... See more
Hello,

I am a software developer that has a website ready for translation.

The website will make resumes and cover letters for users.

I have a .po file with a word count of 26,578 words.

I am wanting to translate the website from English (US) to French (France), German (Germany), Italian (Italy) and Spanish (Spain).

This is the first time I am translating a website, so I am rather unsure about the procedure. I have read a lot about translation, but I still have some questions.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to confirm my .po file is ready to be translated or is this assessed by the chosen translator?

2. Is it best to have the .po file blank and ask the translator to translate from scratch or provide a machine translation .po file and ask the translator for post editing?

3. What are the cost savings /extras for requesting post editing of a machine translation .po file?

4. Can I ask that the selected translator to proof read the website pages when the translation is complete?

5. What is the rate to proof read a translated website?

Thanks,

Matt.
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Mar 16, 2017

1. Standard .po file as is is usually ready to be translated.

2. Machine translation is mostly waste of time in case of .po file, because markup and tokens are confusing to TM and may generate extra errors and losses in markup.

3. It usually takes the same time.

4. Yes. It is a standard procedure to check the translation in the context after it is brought online.

5. 1/2 to 1/3 of the translation per word rate OR per hour.

zoodal
zoodal
Australia
Local time: 03:41
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 17, 2017

Thanks for your answer.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:41
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
No .po parser is perfect Mar 17, 2017

I have translated several sites based in WordPress using .po files as text extraction. During the translation process I have had to identify and to correct by hand several parsing omissions, specially those related to embedded html content. I cannot even image what the results would be if machine translation is applied to the .po raw files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Practical questions about posting a web site translation job

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »