Phonetic or Qwerty keyboard for Ukrainian
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 17:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2014

I have one for Russian, but now I absolutely also need one for Ukrainian.
Have searched the Internet, and there are a handful, but most sites seem extremely dangerous, i.e., the risk of downloading malware/bugs/viruses etc. appears heightened.
Can someone point me in the direction of a good and secure link for this?
Many thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2014-12-04 00:11 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:21
French to English
+ ...
What's wrong with the Windows native keyboard? Dec 4, 2014

If you are on Windows, it does include a standard Ukrainian keyboard layout in the distribution (well, it's not QWERTY but ЙЦУКЕНГ, but you obviously know that). Phonetic keyboards are not standardized, but you can easily create a keyboard with any layout to fit your needs using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator utility available ... See more
If you are on Windows, it does include a standard Ukrainian keyboard layout in the distribution (well, it's not QWERTY but ЙЦУКЕНГ, but you obviously know that). Phonetic keyboards are not standardized, but you can easily create a keyboard with any layout to fit your needs using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator utility available free of charge from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspxCollapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's wrong with it? Dec 4, 2014

Well, if you choose to put it that way, I'd have to tell you everything is wrong with the native keyboard, if you are not grown in that culture. My brain is wired to Qwerty, and that's how it will stay.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:21
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Dec 4, 2014

So, Yngve, you need a sort of Dvorak's layout.
Try this one: http://a-v-k-73.livejournal.com/158658.html
Download link: http://math.nw.ru/~akiselev/ukr_phonetic.rar

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
another one Dec 4, 2014

http://klava.svdu.cz/klava-ru-ua.htm

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suspicious exe.file Dec 4, 2014

So, Sergei, is this file safe to run, Windows 8.1 balks at it?
Have you tried it yourself. It looks like a Qwerty or Qwertz keyboard for Ukrainian, on the face of it, which is what I needed (I am not going to reinvent the wheel and map a keyboard myself, when all this has already been done by astute programmers out there).
Download lin
... See more
So, Sergei, is this file safe to run, Windows 8.1 balks at it?
Have you tried it yourself. It looks like a Qwerty or Qwertz keyboard for Ukrainian, on the face of it, which is what I needed (I am not going to reinvent the wheel and map a keyboard myself, when all this has already been done by astute programmers out there).
Download link: http://math.nw.ru/~akiselev/ukr_phonetic.rar
It would help to know who is the publisher. It appears to be the Department of Higher Mathematics and Mathematical Physics in St. Petersburg, i.e., math.nw.ru. I've now sent them an e-mail or comment, let's see if there is any reaction.

[Edited at 2014-12-04 15:48 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
more options Dec 4, 2014

http://kbd-intl.narod.ru/layouts

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Download? Dec 5, 2014

Well, that's very nice, but I did not see a download button there.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
link Dec 5, 2014

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry missed the download link. Dec 5, 2014

Sorry, missed that in the rush of things. However, the keyboard you display above is not the one for Ukrainian specifically, but rather a multilingual one. I can't remember rightly if I saw the specific Ukrainian Qwerty format among the many keyboards displayed at that site.
Needless to say, the guys at the St. Petersburg institution have not gotten around to answering my query yet, which is probably a long shot anyway, unless I keep nagging. I assume their download is safe though, and
... See more
Sorry, missed that in the rush of things. However, the keyboard you display above is not the one for Ukrainian specifically, but rather a multilingual one. I can't remember rightly if I saw the specific Ukrainian Qwerty format among the many keyboards displayed at that site.
Needless to say, the guys at the St. Petersburg institution have not gotten around to answering my query yet, which is probably a long shot anyway, unless I keep nagging. I assume their download is safe though, and may be tempted to opening it. But it only takes one faux pas, and your computer is shot, you know.
Tks.

[Edited at 2014-12-05 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phonetic or Qwerty keyboard for Ukrainian

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »