BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
English to French
+ ...
Oct 31, 2017

Hello,

Finally bowed to pressure and bought Trados (runs apparently fine with VMWare).

Started my first project this afternoon - with all the confidence of a 7 years old seating on the pilot seat of a Airbus 380 in a particularly busy airspace.

First hurdle: how do I type accented characters? I have a British (extended) Mac keyboard, not sure if i am supposed to use the ALT + sequence of digits or something else to type these.

Would any
... See more
Hello,

Started my first project this afternoon - with all the confidence of a 7 years old seating on the pilot seat of a Airbus 380 in a particularly busy airspace.

First hurdle: how do I type accented characters? I have a British (extended) Mac keyboard, not sure if i am supposed to use the ALT + sequence of digits or something else to type these.

Would anyone know of an online resource where this is explained?

Thanks

Jean-Louis
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Welcome on board! Oct 31, 2017

I continue asking why Trados doesn't start creating a version for Mac users, but it seems it is very far away.

Anyway, I found these combinations:

ALT+0200 for è
ALT+0192 for à
ALT+0204 for ì
ALT+0210 for ò
ALT+0217 for ù

In the Trados options you can decide that all segments start with uppercase. If in a particular case you need to start with a lowercase letter, you can delete the uppercase letter and replace it.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bonsoir, Lucia Oct 31, 2017

Thanks for your reply.

Problem is, working on a Mac with a Mac keyboard, the "Alt" key does not seem to be interpreted as "Alt" in Windows...

I found that the Windows virtual machine I use (VMWare Fusion) has a key mapping system, but the knowledge base is quite economical on the details on how to tell Windows to interpret my usual key sequences (e.g. "alt e" + "e" => é).

Someone must have "been there before " and documented the classic key sequences. Wil
... See more
Thanks for your reply.

Problem is, working on a Mac with a Mac keyboard, the "Alt" key does not seem to be interpreted as "Alt" in Windows...

I found that the Windows virtual machine I use (VMWare Fusion) has a key mapping system, but the knowledge base is quite economical on the details on how to tell Windows to interpret my usual key sequences (e.g. "alt e" + "e" => é).

Someone must have "been there before " and documented the classic key sequences. Will keep looking and will post any findings – unless some enlightened Prozian can point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Jean-Louis
Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 19:48
Russian to English
+ ...
Canadian French layout can be used Oct 31, 2017

I believe that fiddling with ALT+xxxxx is too boring. I use Russian, English and French in my work. To be able to type all accented letters without thinking on it, since '90s I use Canadian French layout instead of a native French layout. It is similar to standard US-layout with a small flavour of required letters around it.

And of course I use Mac. I don't know how to insert a screenshort here, but I can send it to your email, if needed. You might appreciate this way.
... See more
I believe that fiddling with ALT+xxxxx is too boring. I use Russian, English and French in my work. To be able to type all accented letters without thinking on it, since '90s I use Canadian French layout instead of a native French layout. It is similar to standard US-layout with a small flavour of required letters around it.

And of course I use Mac. I don't know how to insert a screenshort here, but I can send it to your email, if needed. You might appreciate this way.

Good luck.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Install the US International keyboard Oct 31, 2017

BabelOn-line wrote:

First hurdle: how do I type accented characters?

Install the US International keyboard in Windows and use the dead keys " and ' in combination with your e, o etc.

I can send you a screenshot tomorrow (I have Parallels on my MPB, while VMware on my iMac in the Office).

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks VIP9N and Hans Oct 31, 2017

Sounds already better than using alt+xxxx

Hans, any screenshot would be fab and a great help.

Best!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Images Nov 1, 2017

This is the default setting in Fusion:

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 08.42.31

Here's how you set the US Int'l KB in Win 8.1:

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 08.44.31

And:

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 08.44.58

BTW: ß = AltGr+s

Have fun with Studio on your Mac!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Buy an external keyboard Nov 1, 2017

BabelOn-line wrote:

Hello,

Would anyone know of an online resource where this is explained?

Thanks

Jean-Louis

The solution is simple: connect a full keyboard to the Mac. I'm assuming you're using a Mac laptop, right?

If you want to go a step further, there are full external keyboards with the Windows and Mac special keys (Option, Command, etc.) mapped on the keys. Regardless, you have two choices to make accented characters: use a full keyboard (with numeric pad) or fumble through the Map Character application on Windows.

Why use VMWare? Parallels (11, 12 or 13) is a better, more feature-rich option. That's what I use. Also, you can always run Windows on BootCamp.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans and Mario Nov 2, 2017

I have now tried the method suggested by Hans. It works!

Thanks for this. This is already a great improvement.

Was wondering if the VMWare key mapping could help me not having two sets of modifiers (one for Mac and one on my virtual Pc). But at least, it saves me having to type all accented chars on a Mac and copy and paste them across like I did yesterday.

Mario, I am using a Mac extended keyboard on a iMac.

Thanks for t your input.
<
... See more
I have now tried the method suggested by Hans. It works!

Thanks for this. This is already a great improvement.

Was wondering if the VMWare key mapping could help me not having two sets of modifiers (one for Mac and one on my virtual Pc). But at least, it saves me having to type all accented chars on a Mac and copy and paste them across like I did yesterday.

Mario, I am using a Mac extended keyboard on a iMac.

Thanks for t your input.

Kind regards

Jean-Louis
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accented characters with Trados on a Mac

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »