Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
German to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2001

Dear Ulrike,

I agree to everything written in above answers to your problem. Fortunately I have very long standing relationships with my customers and little problems, but in the past, I had a couple of rough experiences.

Usually late payment means that the agency is in trouble. When they go belly-up, you loose everything. So be careful with accepting work from them. I was several times very fortunate and can remember one case, where the agency owed my $
... See more
Dear Ulrike,

I agree to everything written in above answers to your problem. Fortunately I have very long standing relationships with my customers and little problems, but in the past, I had a couple of rough experiences.

Usually late payment means that the agency is in trouble. When they go belly-up, you loose everything. So be careful with accepting work from them. I was several times very fortunate and can remember one case, where the agency owed my $12,000. They did not pay in time and did not call me to excuse the delay. So I immediately went to their office, talked to the manager, who spoke about a \"momentary cash-flow problem\". I made a payment plan with him and got the promise that they keep up with the installments. They did and except of $400, I did not loose anything when they went bankcrupt a couple of months later. Very lucky! A French translator friend, who did the same translation, lost substantially.

What I feel most important is, building up a personal relationship with the people in charge. Don\'t deal only with e-mail - phone them, talk to them, and if you have the chance, visit the offices personally. It is a lot easier to just call and say \"Hey Fred, what is happening...\"

My customers call me, if they have a cash flow problem, which happens from time to time, because they get their money from the customers after 90 to 180 (!) days, while they pay their translators after 1 to 3 months later (account closing at the end of the month). This can lead to cash flow problems. If they are open with you, there is no reason to worry, if they just stay mute, just don\'t pay - a red alarm should go off...

Build a trustful relationship - that usually prevents a lot of disappointments.

Then we have the \"now and then\" guys, where you never know...a difficult problem anyway.

Now to my Subject line:

Organizations like PROZ could become something like a translator union in relation to the agencies, or at least a forum, where you can publish your problems. If we would have a agency list with a BBS, where translator can vent their anger, agencies would become a lot more careful.

Agencies should be informed about complaints and should have the opportunity to give a counter statement. Then such a system would not create legal problems.

In any case, complaining in such a manner is not very helpful for client relations, so this would probably be a last resort. Still, publishing bad payment patterns is a good weapon.

Ulrike, you are one of the KUDOZ heavyweights in PROZ, maybe you can take the initiative and move something in this direction.

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 09:50
German to English
+ ...
Union, etc. Oct 4, 2001

Not a bad idea - it was also raised recently on the TCR mailing list.

The only problem I see in setting up a special PROZ forum for warning colleagues of bad agencies is the liability issue arising for Henry. Those messages would be out there for everyone to see, and one or the other agency might take legal action against PROZ, claiming that those messages constitute libel. Running a forum or a list like that is like walking on egg shells (Laura, who is operating her TCR lis
... See more
Not a bad idea - it was also raised recently on the TCR mailing list.

The only problem I see in setting up a special PROZ forum for warning colleagues of bad agencies is the liability issue arising for Henry. Those messages would be out there for everyone to see, and one or the other agency might take legal action against PROZ, claiming that those messages constitute libel. Running a forum or a list like that is like walking on egg shells (Laura, who is operating her TCR list, would certainly agree with me).

The real problem with agencies is that anyone can just set up an agency without any red tape or regulations to follow (especially now with the Internet). So, you might work for agency ABC for a number of weeks only to find out later (when you open up your mailbox, hoping to find a cheque in there) that ABC no longer exists (\"404 - Page Not Found\").

So, instead of trying to treat the symptoms, we should look for ways to fight the actual cause of that particular \"disease\".
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pressed the wrong button Oct 4, 2001

Sorry, this was supposed to answer Ulrike Lieder\'s questions. Please see the discussion there.

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 09:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Indeed, Proz.com has great potential Oct 5, 2001

It was one of the topics discussed at the first Proz.com convention in Italy. I was not there (after September 11, I decided to cancel my trip) but there was a roundtable on this.

Proz.com has great potential in this regard. We are growing stronger and Henry is constantly improving the site. Clearly, in times of globalization, there is a need to organize on a different basis than national jurisdiction. The national translators associations have been bypassed by agencies and priva
... See more
It was one of the topics discussed at the first Proz.com convention in Italy. I was not there (after September 11, I decided to cancel my trip) but there was a roundtable on this.

Proz.com has great potential in this regard. We are growing stronger and Henry is constantly improving the site. Clearly, in times of globalization, there is a need to organize on a different basis than national jurisdiction. The national translators associations have been bypassed by agencies and private clients looking for translators wherever they can find a better price.

Let\'s keep discussing this issue. There are no ready-made solutions.

All the best

Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie

moderator EN>IT
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:20
English to Hindi
+ ...
ProZ has potential Oct 6, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-10-05 04:50, ludovici wrote:

Proz.com has great potential in this regard. We are growing stronger and Henry is constantly improving the site. Clearly, in times of globalization, there is a need to organize on a different basi... See more
Quote:

On 2001-10-05 04:50, ludovici wrote:

Proz.com has great potential in this regard. We are growing stronger and Henry is constantly improving the site. Clearly, in times of globalization, there is a need to organize on a different basis than national jurisdiction. The national translators associations have been bypassed by agencies and private clients looking for translators wherever they can find a better price.

Let\'s keep discussing this issue. There are no ready-made solutions.

All the best

Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie

moderator EN>IT

Paola\'s right. I was at the First ProZ Convention and we had a good discussion on freelancer teams and also panel and off-panel discussions on rates and dealings with agencies. One of the speakers, who hailed from ATA, had relevant insights on these issues. In off-panel/informal talks, I stressed the need to put one\'s best foot forward and not to just undercut rates.

Roomy F Naqvy
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

irm
irm
Local time: 14:50
English to French
+ ...
Unite !.. yes, but the method Oct 31, 2001

About Unite!

Take a look at:

www.in3activa.net (option REF and XIS)

and also at the translation public licence

(the link appears at botton line)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators unite!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »