Tax identifier numbers: what if client requests it?
Thread poster: Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
Local time: 07:46
French to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2019

How have my fellow US-based translators handled such requests? I know that it's normal for European and some other foreign clients to request "tax identifier" numbers (such as the SIRET number in France) as part of the payment process. However, American freelancers do not have such numbers unless they run their business as a legally incorporated LLC or corporation, and most of us don't do that.

[Edited at 2019-04-09 17:31 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Proof of non-residency Apr 9, 2019

What they really need is some sort of proof that you aren't resident in their country and liable for taxes there. They just need to cover their own rears in the event of a tax audit. So, anything you can give them to show that you're a good citizen paying taxes elsewhere will be helpful. You'll probably find they'll relax the requirement if you tell them it's impossible to divulge your SSN.

Eliza Hall

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Say you don't have one Apr 10, 2019

I've always just told them I don't have one, and it hasn't ever been a problem. I do have a Canadian tax number I can give if they need it, but they have never wanted it.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
German to English
EIN Apr 10, 2019

You can obtain an EIN from the IRS without being an LLC and without having any employees. Many freelancers in the U.S. do that. It doesn't cost anything and replaces your SSN for your business. The EIN is a recognized TIN.

You can find d
... See more
You can obtain an EIN from the IRS without being an LLC and without having any employees. Many freelancers in the U.S. do that. It doesn't cost anything and replaces your SSN for your business. The EIN is a recognized TIN.

You can find details here: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax identifier numbers: what if client requests it?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »