New Client Dodging Question About Payment Method and Terms - Should I avoid ?
Thread poster: Lian Pang
Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:40
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 30, 2019

Hey Guys.

I was recently contacted by an seemingly legit, medium scale agency. I ran a check on them, and everything came back fine.

They initially requested that I do a free test translation of 450 words. After negotiation they agreed to compensate me for the test once I pass it. However, they are dodging my question about payment method and payment terms. I have raised the question three times, with no answer.

In my last email, I specifically asked abo
... See more
Hey Guys.

I was recently contacted by an seemingly legit, medium scale agency. I ran a check on them, and everything came back fine.

They initially requested that I do a free test translation of 450 words. After negotiation they agreed to compensate me for the test once I pass it. However, they are dodging my question about payment method and payment terms. I have raised the question three times, with no answer.

In my last email, I specifically asked about the payment terms and methods and put the question in bold. They stopped answering.

I have never encountered anything like this, and my intuition is telling me to avoid this agency. Should I ? Or should I do the test translation and see? Payment method and terms are not confidential information, why would they dodge my question?
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Get an answer before you start Oct 30, 2019

Lian Pang wrote:
I have never encountered anything like this, and my intuition is telling me to avoid this agency. Should I ? Or should I do the test translation and see? Payment method and terms are not confidential information, why would they dodge my question?

It's quite common. Their average rates are probably low, and they know from experience that, if they disclose them in advance, candidates will refuse to go any further.

Always finalise payment terms before you do your test. Imagine that your standard rate is 10. You go to all that trouble to do the test, and you pass. Then they turn around and say "We never pay more than 5". In that case you'll never work with them, but you will have already spent your time (which is money) on the test and the agency. That's a waste of time, effort and emotional energy.

So, negotiate first. Some agencies will say "Oh, we don't know what you're worth until you sit our test" but in that case I would ignore them and move on. Either you're good enough for them, or you're not. If you do the test and they find that you're not good enough they won't use you, so the problem resolves itself.

Regards,
Dan

Philippe Etienne
Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
William Tierney
Tina Vonhof (X)
Michele Fauble
Dmytro Nehrii

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wait and see Oct 30, 2019

Dan Lucas wrote:

Their average rates are probably low, and they know from experience that, if they disclose them in advance, candidates will refuse to go any further.

Thank you Dan for your insightful reply. I did see some glassdoor/gowork reviews about their low rates.
I don't understand their avoidance on the payment method either. This shadiness really puts me off.

I will wait and see if they reply to my last email. If not, I will take your advice and move on.

Thanks again !

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:40
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Change of perspective Oct 30, 2019

Tell them your payment method and your terms.

Kind regards

Michele Fauble
Rachel Fell
John Fossey
Jessica Noyes
Philip Lees
philgoddard
Kay Denney

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:40
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Life is too short Oct 30, 2019

Lian Pang wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

Their average rates are probably low, and they know from experience that, if they disclose them in advance, candidates will refuse to go any further.

Thank you Dan for your insightful reply. I did see some glassdoor/gowork reviews about their low rates.
I don't understand their avoidance on the payment method either. This shadiness really puts me off.

I will wait and see if they reply to my last email. If not, I will take your advice and move on.

Thanks again !

Don't wait. Move on. Life is too short to spend it on shady agencies.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Jean Chao
philgoddard

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Avoid like the plague Oct 30, 2019

Lian Pang wrote:

my intuition is telling me to avoid this agency. Should I ?

Yes. Run while you still can!

Kevin Fulton
Jean Chao

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
French to English
+ ...
Too long Oct 30, 2019

A "free test translation of 450 words" sounds too long, too.

Michele Fauble
philgoddard
Fiona Grace Peterson
Buck

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice guys Oct 31, 2019

Thank you folks for your advice !

I did what texjax proposed and told them my terms and method. It has been a full day, and no response was given.

Time to follow the advice from William, Fiona and Rachel, and move on !

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Good to hear it! Oct 31, 2019

Lian Pang wrote:

It has been a full day, and no response was given.

Ah, yes. Nothing like querying poor payment practices to make an agency flee for the hills.

Lian Pang wrote:

Time to follow the advice from William, Fiona and Rachel, and move on !

Good for you! There are plenty of agencies out there willing to pay your rates, and play fair with everything out in the open. You just need to find them.

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:40
Japanese to English
+ ...
Don't ever start a project without finding out the payment terms and payment method in advance Mar 7, 2020

Sometimes clients avoid answering your questions. This is a red flag, especially if you keep asking and they keep ignoring you.

Before working for any client (or really, before agreeing to do their test), you need to find out what their payment terms and payment method are. Because their payment method might be "close at the end of the month, then paid 120 days later". Do you want to wait that long? Is there a point in working with them? You won't know that until you know how long y
... See more
Sometimes clients avoid answering your questions. This is a red flag, especially if you keep asking and they keep ignoring you.

Before working for any client (or really, before agreeing to do their test), you need to find out what their payment terms and payment method are. Because their payment method might be "close at the end of the month, then paid 120 days later". Do you want to wait that long? Is there a point in working with them? You won't know that until you know how long you will have to wait to get paid. They also may be wanting you to use a disadvantageous payment method. You need to find out all the information.

If they won't answer, what other questions are they going to avoid answering in the future? Can you really risk them ignoring you when you need to ask something important?

Not answering important questions like that that you need to do business is a huge red flag.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Client Dodging Question About Payment Method and Terms - Should I avoid ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »