Huge Artificial Intelligence project doing the rounds
Thread poster: Julie Barber
Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
French to English
Apr 8, 2021

I wanted to draw attention to a very large project being offered to multiple translators. It consists of translating text style sentences and providing a second alternative translation. The work is completed on an online platform.

It came to my attention via several providers offering identical work that this is for a major Artificial Intelligence project.

I wanted to make other translators aware because they might not be comfortable contributing towards a project with
... See more
I wanted to draw attention to a very large project being offered to multiple translators. It consists of translating text style sentences and providing a second alternative translation. The work is completed on an online platform.

It came to my attention via several providers offering identical work that this is for a major Artificial Intelligence project.

I wanted to make other translators aware because they might not be comfortable contributing towards a project with the aim of improving machine translation.

It is a HUGE project which make me wonder who the project is for i.e Google or another internet provider.

One company who approached me was upfront about the nature of the project, other companies aren't.
Collapse

Tom in London
Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kristopher Brame
Tretyak
Peter Shortall
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Do not collaborate Apr 8, 2021

I would urge colleagues to refuse this work.

Baran Keki
Julie Barber
Kristopher Brame
writeaway
Chris Foster
Joy Lewis

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Apr 8, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

I totally agree Tom. I was initially unaware of what the project was for. I have recently learnt that MANY translators have been enrolled to work on it. Additionally, the pay is low which means that unsuspecting translators are working put us out of a job and for low pay!

Kristopher Brame
Tom in London
Irene (Renata) Liapis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ISAAC/ISSAC project? Apr 8, 2021

That's what this reminds me of...

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/348247.html

Julie Barber
Viviane Marx
Josephine Cassar
Barbara Carrara

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
yes Apr 8, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

That's what this reminds me of...

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/348247.html

Yes that is the one Teresa. Personally, I don't think that it is a scam as such, I think that one agency in particular has just lost control of what they are doing due to working with such a high number of translators. Those are my thoughts, but could be wrong.

But people should definitely be made aware of what the project is for!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Julie Apr 8, 2021

I was contacted some months ago by a Spanish agency for this project. I refused because like you I’m not comfortable contributing towards improving machine translation. I think this started out as a legitimate project but due to its huge volume there are so many agencies and outsourced teams involved that at the end someone will inevitably get scammed.

Viviane Marx
Julie Barber
Peter Shortall
Alison Jenner
celiacheung85

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Apr 8, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

I was contacted some months ago by a Spanish agency for this project. I refused because like you I’m not comfortable contributing towards improving machine translation. I think this started out as a legitimate project but due to its huge volume there are so many agencies and outsourced teams involved that at the end someone will inevitably get scammed.

One agency said - if it's actually true - that they are working with 6,000 translators on the project (and have lost their reputation in the process). A poisoned chalice for all concerned, especially translators!!

Adieu

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Apr 8, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

And any other similar MT-enhancing work, unless paid at least 3 times the translation rate.

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Julie Barber

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Do look at the other thread, if you haven't seen it Apr 8, 2021

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Julie. I've been following the other thread with interest.

For those who haven't seen the previous thread, I think it bears reiterating that numerous translators have reported that the agencies concerned either didn't pay them for their work and/or "disappeared" when they had finished their work, or imposed arbitrary penalties for unexplained quality issues. So it appears that translators ended up with either no money, or less than what the
... See more
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Julie. I've been following the other thread with interest.

For those who haven't seen the previous thread, I think it bears reiterating that numerous translators have reported that the agencies concerned either didn't pay them for their work and/or "disappeared" when they had finished their work, or imposed arbitrary penalties for unexplained quality issues. So it appears that translators ended up with either no money, or less than what they had bargained for - and they were starting from a very low base, by all accounts.

And all that is quite apart from the question of what the whole thing is for and whether the machine that's being trained will be used for good or for ill.
Collapse

Julie Barber
Alison Jenner

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
AI project Apr 11, 2021

I was approached by a China-based agency to work on this type of project for Japanese-to-English. I asked them what "alternative translation meant". After all, "the boy chased the dog" really yields no alternative translation. I never heard from them again.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Apr 11, 2021

Michael Newton wrote:
After all, "the boy chased the dog" really yields no alternative translation.

There are several alternatives, and it's exactly what they (all producers of that product) need to build the network of links for better recognition by the machine:

- The boy ran after/followed/tailed/etc. the dog.
- The dog was chased/etc. by the boy.
- The dog (after) which the boy ran/etc.

The machine doesn't know what it doesn't know, it imitates but doesn't create. The more sound data they're feeding the machine, the better the machine gets. And, that's why, in the book of any competent translator, sound data must be compensated VERY VERY well.

Julie Barber
Abba Storgen (X)

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
A possible outcome Apr 11, 2021

If you work with this kind of project (if it is truly for machine training), you may end up making a couple hundred dollars and then become jobless for good. The agency that hires you may end up making a couple million dollars and close their business for good.

Period.

[Edited at 2021-04-11 10:49 GMT]

Julie Barber
Abba Storgen (X)
Adieu

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
yes Apr 13, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:

If you work with this kind of project (if it is truly for machine training), you may end up making a couple hundred dollars and then become jobless for good. The agency that hires you may end up making a couple million dollars and close their business for good.

Period.

[Edited at 2021-04-11 10:49 GMT]

I fully agree. An agency involved with this project and recently found itself banned from the Blueboard suddenly has lots of good reviews. They are writing to translators to request reviews in exchange for providing reviews for the translator.

I am quite sure that a lot of the translators who have worked on the project will not realise what it is for.

Hailemichael Melaku
Hailemichael Melaku  Identity Verified
Ethiopia
Local time: 13:53
Member (2021)
English to Amharic
SITE LOCALIZER
Things are getting tougher Apr 13, 2021

Those companies or agencies doing such things try to trick translators as long as their purpose is not exposed.Ridiculous.

[Edited at 2021-04-13 08:21 GMT]

Julie Barber

Julie Barber
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
very true Apr 13, 2021

Hailemichael Melaku wrote:

Those companies or agencies doing such things try to trick translators as long as their purpose is not exposed.Ridiculous.

[Edited at 2021-04-13 08:21 GMT]

yes it's true and it's good to expose what the projects are actually for, and then translators can make their own informed choice from that point

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge Artificial Intelligence project doing the rounds

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »