Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 8, 2001

Am I the only one fearing that September 11 also caused a downfall of translation assignments?

I was assigned (read:promised) 4 rather large translation projects in September, none of which have surfaced yet, i.e they\'ve been postponed.

And yes, something must be going on, as the ProZ job postings never attracted so many bidders...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-09 08:16 ]

Barbara Cattaneo
Barbara Cattaneo
English to Italian
+ ...
yes, definitely less jobs! Nov 8, 2001

I agree. I myself experienced a 3-week blackhole after Sept. 11 and at least one big project vanished plus 1 delayed.

I believe things may start going better again from January next (do hope so!!)

How do we say... when the going gets tough...

ciao

Barbara Cattaneo

Beatrice Hercend
Beatrice Hercend  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:09
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Less jobs for sure Nov 8, 2001

I also feel there are less jobs, some projects being postponed, others simply canceled. And the number of translators increased a lot the past years. Moreover, the IT and telecommunications industry is experiencing serious problems. These are maybe not the only explanations but they are major factors.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 06:09
German to English
+ ...
No (knock on wood) Nov 8, 2001

No, not at all. As a matter of fact, I have seen an increase in volume.

Actually, I even got a sizable translation out of New York City on September 12!!!

But I would agree that some translators might be affected by it - for example, those that work on airline projects, etc.

In my experience, our workload actually increases at times of recession or downturns, because companies need to break out of their domestic markets to drum up ne
... See more
No, not at all. As a matter of fact, I have seen an increase in volume.

Actually, I even got a sizable translation out of New York City on September 12!!!

But I would agree that some translators might be affected by it - for example, those that work on airline projects, etc.

In my experience, our workload actually increases at times of recession or downturns, because companies need to break out of their domestic markets to drum up new business; hence, an increased demand for translators (at least, that\'s how it worked back in the early 1990s, and I am already getting a feeling of déjà vu).
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 05:09
English to German
Less Jobs after September 11 Nov 8, 2001

I fully agree with Werner on this one.

While there are probably repercussions for the local market, one issue is actually that the languages in demand have changed. At this time, due to circumstances Arabic languages are in high demand. If you look through Proz a bit backwards, you will see that requests for Arabic languages have increased quite a bit, while other languages have a bit lessened.

In a nuthshell, the market has changed its focus for a whil
... See more

While there are probably repercussions for the local market, one issue is actually that the languages in demand have changed. At this time, due to circumstances Arabic languages are in high demand. If you look through Proz a bit backwards, you will see that requests for Arabic languages have increased quite a bit, while other languages have a bit lessened.

In a nuthshell, the market has changed its focus for a while, based on the current situation.

But I do not see this last too long and translators will always be in demand.
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Certainly less Nov 8, 2001

However, the rot set in several months before the tragic events in the USA. A downturn became noticeable at the middle of the year although some decrease is normal here during the holiday period. Things did not pick up as they ususally do in August. Several agencies I have spoken to confirm this view.
[addsig]

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
German to English
+ ...
Its seasonal... Nov 8, 2001

I think that it has nothing to do with the political situation. Looking back at my statistics over the last 20 years, there was always a low in September to January compared to the summer month. Most probable reason is that most makers have finished their preparations for new models at this time and all major trade shows are done.

Congratulations to the busy guys, but this is not the norm.

Jerold Stamp
Jerold Stamp  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
It depends on the type of translation Nov 8, 2001

Certainly tourism is down 30-50% worldwide. I know of a tourist guide who recently lost his job in Rome (English-Italian). Translation jobs directly related to toursim should drop considerably.

Medical translation should remain relatively unchanged, (or so one would hope). A friend of mine who does only medical translation recently told me that his work is as strong as ever.

Scientific translations shouldn\'t drop much either.

Financial translations should drop
... See more
Certainly tourism is down 30-50% worldwide. I know of a tourist guide who recently lost his job in Rome (English-Italian). Translation jobs directly related to toursim should drop considerably.

Medical translation should remain relatively unchanged, (or so one would hope). A friend of mine who does only medical translation recently told me that his work is as strong as ever.

Scientific translations shouldn\'t drop much either.

Financial translations should drop being that companies invest less in declining markets. The flow of business correspondence drops.

The US economy is officially in recession and should have a large effect on translation (at least directly for English language combinations).

Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:09
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
YES Nov 8, 2001

One of my areas of expertize is Legal and (prior to Sept 11) I would translate and interpret a lot for INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service). Now I only get about 10% of the work I used to get before...

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:09
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Seasons & War Nov 9, 2001

I agree with Hans-Henning, I always had a sort of \"low\" in this period. Still, Sept. 11th is definetely an extra-reason: it seems that the market in general is waiting for something to happen, scared of making a step. Do you recall 1991, the Golf War? Business seemed to vanish completely for a while... though, I guess Arabic, Pashtum & Farsi translators have extra work...

Giuliana
[addsig]

Amanda Grey
Amanda Grey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
FEWER jobs Nov 9, 2001

I may be splitting hairs here, but shouldn\'t we say FEWER jobs? I am hearing this mistake more and more often and as a teacher of English it gets my goat!

That said, my sympathies go to those in the States who are feeling the negative effects of Sept. 11th. Our thoughts are with you.
[addsig]

International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 21, 2001

I dd not know that there were Arabic languageS ? To my knowledge there is only ONE Arabic language. Unless you want to talk about varieties of Arabic (dialectal ones)....

Quote:

On 2001-11-08 07:08, Intertect wrote:

While there are probably repercussions for the local market, one issue is actually that the languages in demand have changed. At this tim... See more
I dd not know that there were Arabic languageS ? To my knowledge there is only ONE Arabic language. Unless you want to talk about varieties of Arabic (dialectal ones)....

Quote:

On 2001-11-08 07:08, Intertect wrote:

In a nuthshell, the market has changed its focus for a while, based on the current situation.

But I do not see this last too long and translators will always be in demand.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fewer jobs due to September 11?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »