Thread poster: Franck Abate
Franck Abate
Franck Abate  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
English to French
+ ...
Dec 21, 2001

Highly suspicious of the \"test\" advertised on this site about possible web site translation. Check out the test. Doesn\'t it look like someone just wants to get a quick and dirty free translation? Don\'t fall for it!!!

Franck

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:40
SITE FOUNDER
yourDictionary.com is reputable Dec 21, 2001

In my experience, yourDictionary.com is an honest company.

Scott Li
Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:40
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
test translation Dec 22, 2001

Imagine how much can a person/agency earn from those free test translations ? Can a person/agency survive by taking advantage of those free test translations and last for long ??

I did send out a small new job to a translator in Australia and I did mentioned that it was a small job (around 400 words) which was required to be completed within next day and it was good sample for testing co-operation of both parties and I did mention that the small job will be paid in our e-mai
... See more
Imagine how much can a person/agency earn from those free test translations ? Can a person/agency survive by taking advantage of those free test translations and last for long ??

I did send out a small new job to a translator in Australia and I did mentioned that it was a small job (around 400 words) which was required to be completed within next day and it was good sample for testing co-operation of both parties and I did mention that the small job will be paid in our e-mail message.

I even phoned this Austrlian Chinese into English translator to confirm the delivery time but turned out, he sent me an e-mail next day and questioned why my test translation was required within such a short time and without delivry of the translation. Of course, we will not contact him again.

I think many people are just over sensitive in this issue and missed a lot of chances.

Scott

[addsig]
Collapse

Franck Abate
Franck Abate  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are good reasons why translators are suspicious Dec 22, 2001

There are so many crooks out there who have taken advantage of translators that translators have become extremely cautious. It\'s no fun to drop everything to do some test and then realize 1) it leads to nothing, not even an acknowledgement 2) you have just been used to work for free. This issue has been raised before, especially with time sensitive tests. THere are too many cases of using translators for free. I\'d personally rather miss an opportunity than being taken, the ratio of honest vs. ... See more
There are so many crooks out there who have taken advantage of translators that translators have become extremely cautious. It\'s no fun to drop everything to do some test and then realize 1) it leads to nothing, not even an acknowledgement 2) you have just been used to work for free. This issue has been raised before, especially with time sensitive tests. THere are too many cases of using translators for free. I\'d personally rather miss an opportunity than being taken, the ratio of honest vs. the dishonest agency makes me err on the side of caution.Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
But there is a lot of abuse out there! Dec 22, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-22 03:21, Euro wrote:

I did send out a small new job to a translator in Australia and I did mentioned that it was a small job (around 400 words) which was required to be completed within next day and it was good sampl... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-22 03:21, Euro wrote:

I did send out a small new job to a translator in Australia and I did mentioned that it was a small job (around 400 words) which was required to be completed within next day and it was good sample for testing co-operation of both parties and I did mention that the small job will be paid in our e-mail message.

I even phoned this Austrlian Chinese into English translator to confirm the delivery time but turned out, he sent me an e-mail next day and questioned why my test translation was required within such a short time and without delivry of the translation. Of course, we will not contact him again.

I think many people are just over sensitive in this issue and missed a lot of chances.

Scott

Scott,

You make some good points, but that does not change the fact that there are many fraudulent agencies out there - and they come in many different shapes and forms. As freelance translators, we must be very careful and vigilant these days.

As for your test requirments, I must agree with the translator that you have now decided to \"shun\". There is no valid reason for requiring a potential future translator to \"rush\" through a translation test. You don\'t mention the volume of your test. Was it more than 150 words? Some agencies tend to go \"overboard\" on their tests (250, 500, 1000 words, etc.). So, take a good look at your own testing system before condemning freelancers who are only trying to play it safe in view of the large number of \"bad apples\" out there. ▲ Collapse

Scott Li
Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:40
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
To Werner Dec 23, 2001

Certanily, there are some bad apples but I guess one has right to ignore any test translation request if he or she does not want to take the chance etc.

In my case, it was a real job of around 400 words. I did mentioned that it will be paid and with word count mentioned. I used the word \"test\" which was to test the response time with our translator and to see the quality of the translation instead of asking for free test translation. It was because in this Ch -> English co
... See more
Certanily, there are some bad apples but I guess one has right to ignore any test translation request if he or she does not want to take the chance etc.

In my case, it was a real job of around 400 words. I did mentioned that it will be paid and with word count mentioned. I used the word \"test\" which was to test the response time with our translator and to see the quality of the translation instead of asking for free test translation. It was because in this Ch -> English combination, even the translator did perform a poor translation, we still have the ability to proofread and make necessary changes, so we needed not to ask it for free and that was why we used a new small real job to do the test and pay.

But it turned out that the translator did not read my e-mail message throughly and acted without any responsibilty, so the test was failed......

Collapse

LFRodrigue (X)
LFRodrigue (X)
Local time: 23:40
English to Italian
+ ...
YourDictionary.com is announcing our forum as a free translation source Dec 23, 2001

This morning I was visiting YourDictionary.com (YDC) website and I could not believe when I read these words:

\"Ask the Pros!

Have a single word or 2-3 word phrase to translate? Type it here and, with the help of ProZ.com, we will try to find someone to translate it for you for free.\"

Since YDC is now offering Human Translation, why do they announce our forum just as a place where everybody can translate short sentences for free? And why they
... See more
This morning I was visiting YourDictionary.com (YDC) website and I could not believe when I read these words:

\"Ask the Pros!

Have a single word or 2-3 word phrase to translate? Type it here and, with the help of ProZ.com, we will try to find someone to translate it for you for free.\"

Since YDC is now offering Human Translation, why do they announce our forum just as a place where everybody can translate short sentences for free? And why they announce their services as the paid ones?

My doubt is: Was their bid a really sample test for a real translation job or is it just a way to use our business to make money freely?

If they want to announce us as a free translation forum, that\'s OK, but since they are offering Human Translation, they should also offer us a chance of making business, maybe contracting our \"NON FREE\" services.

I think we\'ve been trying to construct a nice place where to make good and real business, chat, exchange info and help each other, but not to create an idea that we are here to make charity.

And in my opinion KudoZ access should be limited for people who are not subscribed to this website, in order to avoid people use us to do business. When I have time I always try to help colleagues who posts their questions there, but I wouldn\'t like to know that my answers go to someone who advertises my business just as a way to have free translation service.

Merry X-Mas to you all!

Luciana Ferreira Rodrigues

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
YDC resells InstantJobs, also does larger jobs themselves Dec 23, 2001

I would go into the details offline, but yes, YDC acts as a reseller of ProZ.com\'s InstantJobs service. YDC is also a KudoZ affiliate. What is offered for free by YDC is KudoZ, what is offered for pay is InstantJobs. When YDC gets paid for an InstantJob, ProZ.com translators get paid. (Since this cooperation has brought in thousands, it is a fair deal for them, a fair deal for the business behind ProZ.com, and a good deal for ProZ.com translators.)

For larger jobs, YDC coo
... See more
I would go into the details offline, but yes, YDC acts as a reseller of ProZ.com\'s InstantJobs service. YDC is also a KudoZ affiliate. What is offered for free by YDC is KudoZ, what is offered for pay is InstantJobs. When YDC gets paid for an InstantJob, ProZ.com translators get paid. (Since this cooperation has brought in thousands, it is a fair deal for them, a fair deal for the business behind ProZ.com, and a good deal for ProZ.com translators.)

For larger jobs, YDC coordinates the project themselves, like any agency. Hence the job posting in which they present a short test. Again, good for ProZ.com translators.

YDC owners are honest and professional. A test of 13 words is entirely within the bounds of reason.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

13 software words YDC test? Scam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »