Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Use ApSIC Xbench 3.0 to import Apple glossaries and directly use them in CafeTran
Thread poster: Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
Local time: 11:05
Dec 16, 2012

A nice video has been made to show how to convert the Apple glossaries to TMX: http://youtu.be/t0720T11yU0?hd=1.

Of course CafeTran allows loading of TMX files as termbases, but for those who prefer the IMO more flexible tab-delimited glossary format, the Apple glossaries can be converted to tab-delmited easily:

The Xbench also allows to export to tab-delimited. The 118,000 (or
... See more
A nice video has been made to show how to convert the Apple glossaries to TMX: http://youtu.be/t0720T11yU0?hd=1.

Of course CafeTran allows loading of TMX files as termbases, but for those who prefer the IMO more flexible tab-delimited glossary format, the Apple glossaries can be converted to tab-delmited easily:

The Xbench also allows to export to tab-delimited. The 118,000 (or so) records will load in a few seconds in CafeTran.

Working with largish glossaries is a real pleasure in CafeTran.
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:05
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 16, 2012

Thank you for the tip!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
Available glossaries Dec 16, 2012

Hungarian, Spanish, Slovak, Arabic, Korean, French, Turkish, Greek, Simplified Chinese, Norwegian, Polish, Croatian, Thai, Portuguese, Russian, Ukranian, Czech, Hebrew, Finnish, Swedish, German, Catalan, Danish, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Romanian, Dutch and Brazilian Portuguese

Windows users can use 7-Zip to decompress these files.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
AppleTrans Dec 16, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Windows users can use 7-Zip to decompress these files.

Mac users only need AppleTrans to convert or consult the files. AppleTrans has been discontinued, but you'll be able to find a (free) copy.

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:05
Finnish to French
AppleTrans instructions for .lg glossaries Dec 17, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:
Mac users only need AppleTrans to convert or consult the files.

Can you provide step-by-step instructions on how to import the 500 or so .lg glossaries into AppleTrans and how to export imported entries to TMX?
I have AppleTrans 1.2. The Help file is empty ("Help book is under construction") and the software isn't particularly intuitive.

Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Directly load Apple glossaries in CafeTran Dec 17, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Meta Arkadia wrote:
Mac users only need AppleTrans to convert or consult the files.

Can you provide step-by-step instructions on how to import the 500 or so .lg glossaries into AppleTrans and how to export imported entries to TMX?
I have AppleTrans 1.2. The Help file is empty ("Help book is under construction") and the software isn't particularly intuitive.

I'm not M.A. but here is my try:

1. Load all Apple glossaries as files (*.*) in free Xbench 2.9 (!).

2. Export as tab-delmited.

3. In CafeTran choose Library | Glossary | Add glossary.

4. Settings: Encoding: Windows, Source/Target seperator: TAB, Entries separator: Windows

5. Hit OK.

6. Load the glossary (1 sec for 115,000 items)

That's all.

Perhaps it can be done even easier, via TBX? No Xbench necessary then.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

[Edited at 2012-12-17 19:33 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
I asked about AppleTrans, not Xbench Dec 17, 2012

germanodutchess wrote:
I'm not M.A. but here is my try:
1. Load all Apple glossaries as files (*.*) in free Xbench 2.9 (!).

Yes, I know, see: http://youtu.be/DEaiQWBcspg

However, I expected better from someone who gave memoQ a mere three points in his review, arguing that:

mQ is a nice tool but it limits me to Windows. I don't want to be forced by a CAT tool to choose an operating system.

Now how come you don't feel Xbench "limits you to Windows and forces you to choose an OS"

Anyway, I asked specifically for instructions related to AppleTrans, not about Xbench.

Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Because this *is* the CafeTran forum? Dec 17, 2012

mQ is a nice tool but it limits me to Windows. I don't want to be orced by a CAT tool to choose an operating system.
>>Now how come you don't feel Xbench "limits you to Windows and forces you to choose an OS"

AFAIK Xbench is not a CAT Tool. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously: I don't mind starting up Windows for one-time tasks.
... See more
mQ is a nice tool but it limits me to Windows. I don't want to be orced by a CAT tool to choose an operating system.
>>Now how come you don't feel Xbench "limits you to Windows and forces you to choose an OS"

AFAIK Xbench is not a CAT Tool. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously: I don't mind starting up Windows for one-time tasks.

>>Anyway, I asked specifically for instructions related to AppleTrans, not about Xbench.

Duh, since this is the CafeTran forum I'm entitled to sketch the CafeTran route, ain't I?

And like I said: I think the step with Xbench can be skipped, doing everything in CafeTran, or at least on the Mac side.

Thanks for your input!
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Apple glossaries in CafeTran Dec 17, 2012

Hi all,

Inspired by the discussion in this thread, I made my first attempt to let CafeTran import/convert those Apple glossaries to the TMX memory. Today's update should make it possible. The steps to follow:

1. Run CafeTran and choose from the menu Memory | Import | Import Mac OS X glossaries...
2. Select the uncompressed folder containing the .lg files (the glossaries) and press OK.
3. In the TM options panel that pops up select your language pair (e.g. En
... See more
Hi all,

Inspired by the discussion in this thread, I made my first attempt to let CafeTran import/convert those Apple glossaries to the TMX memory. Today's update should make it possible. The steps to follow:

1. Run CafeTran and choose from the menu Memory | Import | Import Mac OS X glossaries...
2. Select the uncompressed folder containing the .lg files (the glossaries) and press OK.
3. In the TM options panel that pops up select your language pair (e.g. English -> Polish) and press OK.
4. After a few second all the glossaries should load into CafeTran's TM interface. Now, they are available for all the auto functions (fuzzy matching, concordance, autoassembly, autocompletion).
5. Choose from the menu Memory | Save as... to store the all the glossaries to the TMX file.

Currently, the feature is unlimited in the trial version of the program and will be a part of the December update.

Thank you guys for pointing me to these glossaries.

Igor
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Great! Dec 17, 2012

Igor Kmitowski wrote:
Currently, the feature is unlimited in the trial version of the program and will be a part of the December update.

Thanks, Igor! In the end, I managed to do it with AppleTrans, but it was really tedious. Sounds like the latest CafeTran makes it much easier. It's a good idea to make it an unlimited feature in the trial version, as it will give people an incentive to try out CafeTran.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Exporting Apple glossaries with AppleTrans Dec 18, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
In the end, I managed to do it with AppleTrans, but it was really tedious.

Here is how tedious:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/12/18/export-apple-glossaries-to-tmx-with-appletrans/
or
http://youtu.be/theCM9Yh8bE?hd=1

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Sounds like the latest CafeTran makes it much easier.

Is this version of CafeTran publicly available?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
CafeTran December release Dec 18, 2012

Hi Dominque,

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Sounds like the latest CafeTran makes it much easier.

Is this version of CafeTran publicly available? [/quote]

Yes, it can be downloaded from http://www.cafetran.com/download.html. I've also pushed the SDLTM memories to TMX conversion/import into this build as an experimental feature. If everything goes well, the final release will be ready around Xmas.

Igor

Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Apples Dec 18, 2012

Thanks Igor.

I'm not that much an Apple guy myself (big grin), but I can definitely see some use in this Apple glossary import feature .

It is nice to see how you get inspired by user's requests and how rapidly you can respond to these requests.

I'm very happy that I made CafeTran my #1 CAT tool .

[Edited at 2012-12-18 08
... See more
Thanks Igor.

I'm not that much an Apple guy myself (big grin), but I can definitely see some use in this Apple glossary import feature .

It is nice to see how you get inspired by user's requests and how rapidly you can respond to these requests.

I'm very happy that I made CafeTran my #1 CAT tool .

[Edited at 2012-12-18 08:06 GMT]
Collapse

babble-on
babble-on  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
iOS glossary for translators May 16, 2013

There is a free Apple iOS glossary here:

http://www.ibabbleon.com/glossary

It's good if you need to localize basic system information on iPhone apps, as well as gestures like pinch and swipe. It's in 12 languages at the moment and a community project, so please contribute!

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Trying to do this in 2020 Nov 5, 2020

Igor Kmitowski wrote:
Igor

Hi Igor! I'm trying to import the Apple glossaries using CafeTran 8 years after you posted this comment but I got stuck on the very first step. I have the feeling that CafeTran's UI has changed and unfortunately, I was not able to find an alternative way to import the glossary. Could you help me?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use ApSIC Xbench 3.0 to import Apple glossaries and directly use them in CafeTran

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »