Thread poster: Alyssa Yorgan
Alyssa Yorgan
Alyssa Yorgan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:11
Russian to English
Mar 10, 2017

Hi,

I generally like CafeTran, but I've gotta say the lack of comprehensive documentation is a definite drawback and I often find myself wishing I had a detailed explanation for what a certain function does.

One such example:

"Remove TMX units with duplicate source segments" in the Task menu: what units are removed exactly? The earlier of two (or more) units with differing target translations?

sjkim_tran
sjkim_tran  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 21:11
Korean to English
Detailed official (written) manual, please Mar 11, 2017

Yes, I would like a sort of manual very much so that I can look up some small functions or unfamiliar UI stuff for myself. I don't really want to come here and ask something that might be just too obvious for most of the experienced users of CafeTran or any other CAT tools.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Well... Mar 11, 2017

Alyssa Yorgan wrote:
...I often find myself wishing I had a detailed explanation for what a certain function does.

... don't get me started.

what units are removed exactly? The earlier of two (or more) units with differing target translations?

The older ones. However, you can usually avoid this by fine-tuning the settings of the TMs. In case of your "Big Mama", you'd want to keep all TUs, whereas you'd only want to keep the most recent ones in the ProjectTM. See here for more on the subject.

Cheers,

Hans

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:11
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Article Mar 11, 2017

Hi Alyssa,

Please see this article: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/6000168358-remove-tmx-units-with-duplicate-source-segments
in the constantly updated Knowledge Base.

Igor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remove TMX units with duplicate source segments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »