Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2017

I have a simple question, but I haven't found a clear answer. I'm doing a word count for an invoice, I normally do this in Trados, but I wanted to compare with CafeTran.

In Trados I get a word count of about 42000 words, after counting repetitions, internal fuzzy matches, and applying my discount rate for these, I get a weighted result of 17298 words.

When I count the words in Cafetran I get (in words)
All segments 37550
repeated segments 20541
subse
... See more
I have a simple question, but I haven't found a clear answer. I'm doing a word count for an invoice, I normally do this in Trados, but I wanted to compare with CafeTran.

In Trados I get a word count of about 42000 words, after counting repetitions, internal fuzzy matches, and applying my discount rate for these, I get a weighted result of 17298 words.

When I count the words in Cafetran I get (in words)
All segments 37550
repeated segments 20541
subsegment repetitions (homogeneity) 35489
Target segments 662

What are target segments?
How do I use the data to get a quote similar to the one I get in Trados by accounting for repetitions and internal Fuzzy Matches?

Thanks.
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Translated target segments Apr 12, 2017

Hi Serena,

Target segments in CafeTran's statistics stand for translated target segments in comparison to translated source segments. As for the accounting, you can set the rate and calculate the price based on the number of words or characters but it does not count any weights for discounts yet.

Igor

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 12, 2017

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hi Serena,

Target segments in CafeTran's statistics stand for translated target segments in comparison to translated source segments. As for the accounting, you can set the rate and calculate the price based on the number of words or characters but it does not count any weights for discounts yet.

Igor

Thanks Igor! You always reply promptly and clearly! I doubt any other software offers the same customer service!
I'm a bit thick though, I still don't understand what it meant by source/target here. From my understanding, source is the original, and target the translated text, but there are no translated segments in this file.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
662 words in target Apr 12, 2017

Perhaps those target (translated) segments are indeed further down the project as the auto-propagated ones?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source/target segments count

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »