CafeTran Espresso 10 runs on macOS Catalina
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 18, 2019

Yesterday evening I upgraded my MacBook Pro to macOS Catalina and I'm happy to confirm that CafeTran Espresso 10 runs smoothly on macOS Catalina.

Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 08.58.35

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks but... Oct 18, 2019

Thanks Hans, but I wish the same could be said for all other applications.

A warning to other Mac users: MacOS Catalina is likely to kill most of your older software. I understand why Apple has moved to 64-bit processing, but why couldn't they maintain 32-bit as well? Maybe a more technical person can explain.

Here's a useful link that will check all your applications fo
... See more
Thanks Hans, but I wish the same could be said for all other applications.

A warning to other Mac users: MacOS Catalina is likely to kill most of your older software. I understand why Apple has moved to 64-bit processing, but why couldn't they maintain 32-bit as well? Maybe a more technical person can explain.

Here's a useful link that will check all your applications for you:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

[Edited at 2019-10-18 09:36 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Some reported apps will still work ... Oct 18, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Here's a useful link that will check all your applications for you:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

Hello Tom,

Good to hear from you again!

I was worried by this too and had Go64 create a report some days ago. Yesterday evening I found out that some of the alleged 32-bit apps (e.g. BBEdit, UltraEdit) still can be launched. Note that I haven't used them extensively yet.

Hans

[Edited at 2019-10-19 05:22 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
English to Spanish
Not really Oct 18, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:
CafeTran Espresso 10 runs smoothly on macOS Catalina.

Gatekeeper says that Cafetran can't be checked for malware and only offers two options: move to trash or cancel opening the app.

It might run if you disable security, a big mistake. The most important new feature of Catalina is tighter security requirements.

Apps for Catalina should be signed by authorized developers and notarized by Apple. This is not the case for Cafetran.

Apple has been warning developers since 2012 about additional requirements for software distribution. There is no excuse for not signing an app and notarizing its content.

Rodolfo

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:00
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Right click Oct 19, 2019

On macOS Catalina, you can accept the trusted apps that haven't been notarized by Apple yet. Just right-click at it and choose Open the first time you launch CafeTran. After that, GateKeeper will let it run normally.

Igor
CafeTran developer

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Don't right click Oct 19, 2019

Igor Kmitowski wrote:
On macOS Catalina, you can accept the trusted apps that haven't been notarized by Apple yet.

The first time you right click, Catalina only offers to move to trash or cancel. The second time it says:

By opening this app, you will be overriding system security
which can expose your computer and personal information to
malware that may harm your Mac or compromise your privacy.

That doesn't look right.

It is obvious that the program is not notarized. One could expect that if it was made for Mojave and earlier at least it would signed by a trusted developer.

Entering spctl -a -v /Applications/CafeTran.app in a Terminal window results in:

/Application/Cafetran.app: rejected
source=no usable signature

So, it is not the case that the app has not been notarized "yet". It's simply not safe.

Rodolfo

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trusted developer Oct 19, 2019

It's good to see such a strict adherence to Apple's security policy by another trusted developer.

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Notarization Oct 19, 2019

Unless I'm missing something, applications that ship with JRE (as CafeTran Espresso currently does) can't get past Apple's notarization process at this time. See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8223671

While I think it is important and helpful to highlight this issue and the current workaround (and it would be strongly recommended to notarize the app at this point, i
... See more
Unless I'm missing something, applications that ship with JRE (as CafeTran Espresso currently does) can't get past Apple's notarization process at this time. See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8223671

While I think it is important and helpful to highlight this issue and the current workaround (and it would be strongly recommended to notarize the app at this point, if at all possible, along with any other relevant security measures), I wouldn't go as far as call a non notarized application "not safe".

This may be my personal view, but such labelling strikes me as odd, especially considering it comes from another CAT tool's developer/CTO (Swordfish).

Notarization gives users more confidence that the Developer ID-signed software you distribute has been checked by Apple for malicious components. That's it, no more, no less. It's just an additional assurance, from Apple.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Java apps can be notarized Oct 19, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, applications that ship with JRE (as CafeTran Espresso currently does) can't get past Apple's notarization process at this time.

Java apps can be notarized. There is no problem with that. You must, however, use a trusted version of Java.

Apps that ship third party software must ensure end users that the third party software does not contain malware. Notarization helps with that.

If the software is signed, you know who built it. Otherwise, you don't really know whom you are trusting.

Rodolfo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
"If you for some reason need to keep using 32-bit apps.... Oct 21, 2019

...., you can purchase software that will allow you to continue using older Mac operating systems alongside Catalina. PCMag recommends downloading Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion, which are programs that allow users to set up a window that essentially serves as a parallel desktop. You can install previous Mac, or even Windows, operating systems on that second desktop to run 32-bit apps. You probably wouldn’t want to go through all this trouble just to keep using Microsoft Word 2011, but it... See more
...., you can purchase software that will allow you to continue using older Mac operating systems alongside Catalina. PCMag recommends downloading Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion, which are programs that allow users to set up a window that essentially serves as a parallel desktop. You can install previous Mac, or even Windows, operating systems on that second desktop to run 32-bit apps. You probably wouldn’t want to go through all this trouble just to keep using Microsoft Word 2011, but it’s a viable workaround if you really insist"

https://tinyurl.com/y34eb5p7

ACTUALLY I'm still using Word 2008 for many tasks. Mainly because it still has the "Find/replace in all open documents" tool, which subsequently disappeared from MSWord and will probably never come back.

[Edited at 2019-10-21 08:19 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Automation Oct 21, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

ACTUALLY I'm still using Word 2008 for many tasks. Mainly because it still has the "Find/replace in all open documents" tool, which subsequently disappeared from MSWord and will probably never come back.

[Edited at 2019-10-21 08:19 GMT]

This one is to F/R in all documents in a folder:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/find-replace-contents-multiple-word-documents/

But I'm sure that there exist macros to F/R in all opened documents too.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes, I know but.... Oct 21, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

This one is to F/R in all documents in a folder:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/find-replace-contents-multiple-word-documents/

But I'm sure that there exist macros to F/R in all opened documents too.

Yes, I know those macros exist but they're clunky to use. However I'm amused by the English of that website. "Paste the bellowing codes there". Etc

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Any news on this topic? Sep 22, 2021

Hi,
I haven't installed Catalina until now (still using MacOS Mojave), but as it seems that I'll have to replace my iMacs in the near future, I wanted to ask if you still have to use the work around to open Cafetran when Catalina is installed or not. Any news on this topic?
Thanks for your answer,
Irene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Runs like a TGV Sep 22, 2021

ibz wrote:

Hi,
I haven't installed Catalina until now (still using MacOS Mojave), but as it seems that I'll have to replace my iMacs in the near future, I wanted to ask if you still have to use the work around to open Cafetran when Catalina is installed or not. Any news on this topic?
Thanks for your answer,
Irene

I've been using CafeTran Espresso on Catalina for 2 years now: no problems whatsoever. No workarounds needed.

Are you going to buy new iMacs? If so, with M1 architecture? BTW: They will come with the newest incarnation of macOS: Monterey.

For what it's worth: I've been using CafeTran Espresso on Big Sur too, without any issues.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 22, 2021

Sounds great!
As to your question: I'll most probably buy the latest 27-inch iMac as I really need the big screen.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso 10 runs on macOS Catalina

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »