Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@András: Dec 23, 2015

Where can I find some information on how to switch between DBs?

UPDATE: ALREADY FOUND ANSWER TO ABOVE QUESTION: turns out I was using an old version of "TMLookup_setup.txt", from a previous version of TMLookup, so it didn't yet contain:

"Default database: []
Always set active database as default (if set to y, the last db is always opened at startup; otherwise, you can specify above which db should be opened at startup): [y]
Quick access database
... See more
Where can I find some information on how to switch between DBs?

UPDATE: ALREADY FOUND ANSWER TO ABOVE QUESTION: turns out I was using an old version of "TMLookup_setup.txt", from a previous version of TMLookup, so it didn't yet contain:

"Default database: []
Always set active database as default (if set to y, the last db is always opened at startup; otherwise, you can specify above which db should be opened at startup): [y]
Quick access database 1 (F1): []
Quick access database 2 (F2): []
Quick access database 3 (F3): []
Quick access database 4 (F4): []"

Speaking of multiple databases, it would of course also be great if there was some sort of facility in the program itself that would allow you to pick & mix from multiple databases. For example, I would like to be able to create:

1. Legal.db
2. Education.db
3. IT.db
4. Marketing.db
etc

...and be able to search them all simultaneously (or a selectin of them) from within one copy of TMLookup.

Michael

[Edited at 2015-12-23 12:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-23 12:27 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Databases or tables? Dec 23, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Speaking of multiple databases, it would of course also be great if there was some sort of facility in the program itself that would allow you to pick & mix from multiple databases. For example, I would like to be able to create:

1. Legal.db
2. Education.db
3. IT.db
4. Marketing.db
etc

The subject line says it all.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Multiple Tables Dec 23, 2015

In CafeTran, I can open and search multiple tables:

Three, in the example above (multiple languages at that), but there doesn't seem to be a limit. I suppose that's what you want, Michael.

Cheers,

Hans

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Dec 23, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

1. Legal.db
2. Education.db
3. IT.db
4. Marketing.db
etc

...and be able to search them all simultaneously (or a selectin of them) from within one copy of TMLookup.

That idea has been around since the first beta. However:

FarkasAndras wrote:
...an ominous job that is so unappetizing that I've been putting it off since the start of the project.

Maybe it's not so bad but it has the potential for annoying complications and cascading changes in the code.
For now, F1-F4/F12 provide a decent workaround. F12 toggles the last two open dbs (active session only), so it's very handy if you can't be bothered to add dbs to the quick access list. The shortcuts may not be in the readme but they can be found in the setup, changelog etc. If you switch databases, your last search is automatically repeated on the new db so you get instant results.

Re: duplicate filtering, maybe I'll look into it. It would be best if you could provoke the issue on a small sample db. The most likely explanation is that there are subtle differences between the entries. Capitalization or whitespace, most likely.

Re: removing old entries, there is no timestamp in the db. Each record (segment) has a rowid, which is essentially a serial number. One could remove older entries based on rowid, but it would be messy to implement and use. If you add a meta (source) field to your entries, you could use the delete hits feature. Switch one of the search columns to the source field, search for the source you want to remove, and delete hits. Test on a sample db first.

Re: tmx editor, I'm not sure. A couple of people have asked for something like this, but I'm not sure what features would make sense. Even if I did this in a separate app (and not in TMLookup), I would almost certainly import the tmx into an sqlite db and discard all the metadata (as is done in TMLookup). That might be an unpleasant surprise to some users. I'm also wary of playing with TMX because my import process is an ugly hack and not a proper xml parser, so some tmxes might be incorrectly imported. The fact that there is a wide array of tools generating TMX files based on various iterations of the standard doesn't help. What features do people want from a TMX editor? Isn't there already an open source tmx editor out there? Or two maybe?

Re: a paid version, that won't happen for a couple of reasons, low interest being only one. There were a couple of occasions when somebody requested a feature that was doable but not trivial, and not a priority for me (for LFA or TML). In those cases I told the guy I would add the feature on the understanding that he will send a small donation afterwards if he is happy with the feature. I usually suggested a range of €20 to €100 or something like that. A couple of people also donated spontaneously. So I made a tiny bit of money but I will never make anything like a meaningful hourly rate on these hobby projects.

Re: autoimport, I have already started fiddling with it. It's not trivial, but I can see there is some interest so I'll probably work on it a little more seriously. It's something I would probably use myself. I used to use it when I still used xbench. I just had a tabbed txt file that was always filled with stuff for the current project.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seasons updatings Dec 23, 2015

Well, it's that time of year, so here's a gift:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16377950/TMLookup_1.4_win.zip

From the changelog:
New in 1.4:
- Added xls import (throws errors if any lines have empty cells)
- Ctrl-J shows/hides source column (only works correctly if source is the last column in the table)
- Ctrl-U shows conte
... See more
Well, it's that time of year, so here's a gift:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16377950/TMLookup_1.4_win.zip

From the changelog:
New in 1.4:
- Added xls import (throws errors if any lines have empty cells)
- Ctrl-J shows/hides source column (only works correctly if source is the last column in the table)
- Ctrl-U shows context
- Minor match highlighting fixes
- Alphabetical hit sorting added, see setup file
- PgUp/PgDn and Ctrl-Home/Ctrl-End functionality added
- Thanks to an SQLite version update to 3.8.10, the see context option now produces instant results even on large DBs.

I just threw this release together based on the current version I'm using, so let me know if something is off. Xls import is essentially untested, but everything else should be solid.

Note that the SQLite engine in TML was updated, which should improve performance. Whether or not that is a meaningful improvement in the kinds of searches TMLookup does is unclear. I never tested this, although it wouldn't be hard.

The good news is that the diligent people at SQLite HQ are working on a new release of the full-text search engine, with the imaginative moniker of FTS5 (current version is FTS4). Actually, they have already released it but it will take a while to trickle down to TMLookup. If and when that happens, it should bring improved (perfect) match highlighting at last, and better performance. Along with a requirement to update all your DBs to the new internal format. Again. Such is progress. Onwards and upwards!
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1.5 Dec 27, 2015

After a bit of fiddling, the autoimport feature is done:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16377950/TMLookup_1.5_win.zip

Please test and report back. I left the console window enabled, so it will show some reports on what it's doing and error messages may show up there too.

From the readme:
You can also specify a tmx/txt/xls file (o
... See more

Please test and report back. I left the console window enabled, so it will show some reports on what it's doing and error messages may show up there too.

From the readme:
You can also specify a tmx/txt/xls file (or a folder) that is automatically imported into a database when the program starts. You can access this special db by pressing F9. In the setup file, enter the file path, then a tab, then the two languages separated by a comma. E.g. c:\autoimport\current_tm.tmx en,de
If a folder is specified, the program imports all the compatible files in the folder and ignores the rest. Make sure txt/xls files have the same order of columns or languages may get mixed up. The same applies if the languages in a tmx file don't match those specified in the setup file.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 27, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:

From the readme:
You can also specify a tmx/txt/xls file (or a folder) that is automatically imported into a database when the program starts. You can access this special db by pressing F9. In the setup file, enter the file path, then a tab, then the two languages separated by a comma. E.g. c:\autoimport\current_tm.tmx en,de
If a folder is specified, the program imports all the compatible files in the folder and ignores the rest. Make sure txt/xls files have the same order of columns or languages may get mixed up. The same applies if the languages in a tmx file don't match those specified in the setup file.

Interesting, will give it a try!

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some feedback Dec 30, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:

From the readme:

1. OK, regarding the auto import feature, what I need is more of a way to update my database when individual TMXs in my various folders on my computer change. Meaning: I would like to be able to click a button, and have TMLookup check whether any of the TMXs in a specific folder have changed, and if so, update the relevant index portions.

2. Is there any way to close that extra info window, without closing the program itself? I already have way too many open windows on my computer, and would really like to be able to close it.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
simple Dec 30, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

1. OK, regarding the auto import feature, what I need is more of a way to update my database when individual TMXs in my various folders on my computer change. Meaning: I would like to be able to click a button, and have TMLookup check whether any of the TMXs in a specific folder have changed, and if so, update the relevant index portions.

2. Is there any way to close that extra info window, without closing the program itself? I already have way too many open windows on my computer, and would really like to be able to close it.

1. I still haven't decided whether the program should delete and re-create db on every startup. I think the version you got does that, i.e. you just need quit the program and start it again. If I decide against it, you will just need to delete the db file to force an update.

2. The console window will be disabled in the final relese. For now I left it there for diagnostics. For instance, I was getting a bunch of "can't open file" errors on tmx files. I just realised what it was and fixed it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16377950/TMLookup_1.5_win_fixed.zip
If there are other problems, it's easier to ID them if you can see the messages in the console.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just thinking out loud (from the safety of my armchair) Dec 30, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

1. I still haven't decided whether the program should delete and re-create db on every startup. I think the version you got does that, i.e. you just need quit the program and start it again. If I decide against it, you will just need to delete the db file to force an update.

Okay, so I have another question about #1: is there any clever way to make it so that the program "merely" updates the db, rather than re-creates the whole darned thing? The reason I am asking is that my current database took a hell of a long time to create, and I wouldn't want to have to wait that long every time one or two TMXs in my very large collection change. In LogiTerm, there is a distinction between updating a "module" (read: db) and indexing it (basically creating it from scratch again).

Oh yeah, and another thing. In CafeTran, we can create individual "tables" inside these SQlite databases. So instead of creating an entire new database for each subject area, or particular folder of TMXs, e.g., you could also just utilise one massive db, but have it split into multiple tables. Hans vd Broek (aka MetaArkadia) mentioned this somewhere I think. Would this be something that you could implement in TMLookup at some point? I imagine an ideal world, in which TMLookup has a dialogue in its UI with kind of a table, containing a long list of different TMX categories (let's call them "modules"), which are all stored inside one massive DB in tables, with little checkboxes next to each of them, and the user could then select which of these individual tables he wished to update or even reindex completely (e.g. depending on whether he had just updated a particular client’s TMX that morning). Just thinking out loud

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
options Dec 30, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Okay, so I have another question about #1: is there any clever way to make it so that the program "merely" updates the db, rather than re-creates the whole darned thing? The reason I am asking is that my current database took a hell of a long time to create, and I wouldn't want to have to wait that long every time one or two TMXs in my very large collection change. In LogiTerm, there is a distinction between updating a "module" (read: db) and indexing it (basically creating it from scratch again).

Not sure if updating indexes (instead of reindexing from scratch) is possible in SQLite, I'm guessing not.

The intended use is: you have your large db(s) that you use on an ongoing basis. You import them once, perhaps you program them to F1-F8 for quick access (I added F5-F8 so there are 8 slots now) and leave them alone.
Then if a job comes along with some reference TMs, client-specific glossaries or some such, you dump those in your autoimport folder and have them accessible by F9. This "current project" collection changes all the time, which the autoimport feature makes quick and painless, and it's normally not very large. In my practice it will probably often contain one tmx of a couple hundred TUs. If you have a set of TMXes that amount to hundreds of thousands of TUs and you use them for various different projects, you're probably better off just making a 'normal' db out of them.

Michael Beijer wrote:
Oh yeah, and another thing. In CafeTran, we can create individual "tables" inside these SQlite databases. So instead of creating an entire new database for each subject area, or particular folder of TMXs, e.g., you could also just utilise one massive db, but have it split into multiple tables. Hans vd Broek (aka MetaArkadia) mentioned this somewhere I think. Would this be something that you could implement in TMLookup at some point? I imagine an ideal world, in which TMLookup has a dialogue in its UI with kind of a table, containing a long list of different TMX categories (let's call them "modules"), which are all stored inside one massive DB in tables, with little checkboxes next to each of them, and the user could then select which of these individual tables he wished to update or even reindex completely (e.g. depending on whether he had just updated a particular client’s TMX that morning). Just thinking out loud

Well, whether various sub-tms are in separate files or in separate tables in the same db file doesn't make much difference to my mind. Having them in separate files makes it easier to selectively delete, update, move, share with others etc. If and when I manage to add support for multiple DBs to TMLookup, you will be able to pick and choose in your list of dbs and get hits from many dbs at the same time in the same table (in whatever arbitrary ranking order you prefer, possibly colour coded). That makes it feasible to split your data into many dbs. Those smaller dbs would be easier/faster to update than a single large db.

If you want to update parts of large miscellaneous dbs with changed content often, one option is to try the delete hits feature. Delete the contents of TMX number 53 version 23 from the db (based on the source field) and import TMX number 53 version 24.

By the way, importing tmx files is much slower than importing tabbed txt files. You probably can't switch to using tabbed files, but if you can, it will help. You can add language codes to the file name to get the languages recognized correctly. Put the two-letter language codes at the end of the file name, separated by a hyphen (reference_tm_en-nl.txt). If the db has the same columns (en & nl) the file will be read based on the language codes. This is of course not necessary with tmx files because tmx files have the language codes inside the file.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
No longer there Jan 1, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:
That Dropbox page is no longer there (on 01 Jan 2016 at 16:08 GMT).

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bug Jan 1, 2016

I think I removed that version when I fixed a bug. I posted the link to the new version above, here it is again:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16377950/TMLookup_1.5_win_fixed.zip

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
that one was replaced with this one ↪ Jan 1, 2016

Oliver Walter wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
That Dropbox page is no longer there (on 01 Jan 2016 at 16:08 GMT).

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's there Jan 2, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:
I think I removed that version when I fixed a bug. I posted the link to the new version above, here it is again:
Yes, it's there! (Sat 02 Jan at 19:58 GMT). Thank you.

[Edited at 2016-01-02 19:59 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMLookup

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »